Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Turner is by no means a poor player

He almost singlehandedly kept Hull up in their first seaseon in the Prem an had three moderately successful years at Sunderland. Obviously his performances have been nothing short of abysmal this season but if or when he does play for us again get behind the lad and not slag him off. We are all in this together at the end of the day.

I''ve seen him play twice - Fulham and Liverpool.Everything I have seen suggests he is a poor player or he is not match fit.  He looks off the pace, lethargic and error prone.I''ll judge him on performances and not past history thanks.

"I''ll judge him on performances and not past history thanks."

All players are, in effect, bourght on past history Mr. Chops.

He will get better, if only for the reason that he can hardly get worse.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

"I''ll judge him on performances and not past history thanks."

All players are, in effect, bourght on past history Mr. Chops.

He will get better, if only for the reason that he can hardly get worse.

[/quote]Yes, let''s be charitable.  It may be match fitness and overall sharpness.

Well clearly in the past he must have played better than he has for us so far, or we''d hardly have signed him.

I have to admit I''m desperately hoping Bassong''s fit today though. On the train now and looking forward to the game but more than a little apprehensive

He has cost us at least Five goals so far this season. 
He may or may not be a terrible player, but I do not want to see him playing for us at the moment because he is a total liability and having him in the lineup totally disrupts the defence and basically gives us no chance. 
He has started 2 games, in which we have shipped 5 goals in both. In the 3rd game where he made a significant appearance (about 83mins if memory serves) he was solely responsible for costing the goal that led to us losing.
I''m sorry, but I don''t care whether he singlehandedly put men on the moon, the fact is he has been an actual handicap when he has played for Norwich City and enough is enough. Ryan Bennett is certainly not perfect, but he is certainly a damn sight better than Turner at the moment. If Turner''s on the team sheet, it might as well be for the other team with the form he''s in.

If he is a good player then he needs to show it on the pitch. All I have seen so far is a lot of careless mistakes.

Turner may be a good player, but he hasn''t made a very promising start with us!    He''s got it all to do to turn it round, but I guess that is part of being a professional footballer - dealing with setbacks.    It will be interesting to see how he responds over the course of the season.   I agree with the sentiment that we should give him encouragement.  Too many will be quick to slag him off every time he goes near the ball.   We need to get behind the players and hope they respond.

I was at the match last week and just as Surman came up to take his first corner in the match (I was down near the corner) someone behind me shouted out a volley of abuse at how useless he was at him just as he was going to kick the ball.  Surprise, surprise, he muffed it.   You couldn''t make it up!

Good thread.

Turner has been a good player at Premier League level before, and will probably be so again.

However at the moment he has had a start to his Norwich career of almost Theoklitian proportions and his confidence is lower than a snakes a#se in a bomb crater. He looks like creating a chance for the opposition whenever he is near the ball. He needs to regain confidence before he gets near the team again as nerves like that are catching.

One theory I have is that he''s suffered from not having a partner who is comfortable on the ball alongside him. Bassong is the only CB we have any more that is. Previously we had Ward, Whitbread and Ayala who could all play it out from the back and provide a safety net for those partners like Barnett or Turner who are uncomfortable in possession.

I think our best bet is to loan Turner out in January and let him regain his confidence at someone else''s expense. Ward can come back onto the squad list as a better option at this stage.