Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Last foreign player to sign permanently for Norwich?

Obviously Hughton has a completely different transfer strategy to Lambert and indeed many previous regimes. I''m slightly disappointed to see the policy of us mainly signing up coming hungry British players being torn up as we seemed to be showing the rest of the league it is possible to do well as a result. Last season we managed to field a team almost only containing English players, let alone British, which is hugely rare. But I don''t want to open the old can of worms as to how the national team has suffered as a result of johnny foreigner etc. I welcome the new policy and I look forward to seeing Tettey and Garrido play.What I''d like to know is; when was the last time Norwich permanently signed a foreign player from abroad before this season?

2 out of 3 of lamberts aston Villa signings have been foriegn players. had he stayed his strategy would have changes . As for us Butterfield, turner and Snodgrass are all british

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"] 2 out of 3 of lamberts aston Villa signings have been foriegn players. had he stayed his strategy would have changes . As for us Butterfield, turner and Snodgrass are all british[/quote]
dont forget whittaker

We signed 3 players who last team was outside the British Isles in 2009-10
Theoklitos from Melbourne Victory (A-League)
Goran Maric (Barcelona B- on loan from Celta Vigo-Both Spain)
Jens Berthel Askou (Kasimpasa S.K.- Turkey)

...it is interesting how the facts don''t really fit the spiel: we have signed 7 players, only two of whom are signed from abroad, and one of those has PL experience. Lambert himself said that he wasn''t sure we''d be able to continue to pick up guys from the lower leagues, and had already said we''d be looking abroad.

Last guy properly signed from abroad has to be the wonder goalie, though?

[quote user="CamelFish"]Err, Simeon Jackson[/quote]

He signed from Gillingham, I think the OP said a foreigner signed from outside the British Isles.

I''d say Theoklitos, but if you wanted to go further back to the era of Roeder, there''s Juan Velasco Damas (right back, signed from Espanyol) in 2008. And who can forget captain Mark Fotheringham, who we signed from FC Aarau in 2007?

Those were dark, dark times to be a Canary fan.

[quote user="calriv"][quote user="CamelFish"]Err, Simeon Jackson[/quote] He signed from Gillingham, I think the OP said a foreigner signed from outside the British Isles. I''d say Theoklitos, but if you wanted to go further back to the era of Roeder, there''s Juan Velasco Damas (right back, signed from Espanyol) in 2008. And who can forget captain Mark Fotheringham, who we signed from FC Aarau in 2007? Those were dark, dark times to be a Canary fan.[/quote]

Oops, my bad!