Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Malky would never have let Carvalho score!

I know this is really unhelpful and i''m probably doing it just to be provocative but the more the season goes on the more clear it is to me that Malky could have done a job for us this season.

I know his distribution left a bit to be desired and culture wasn''t his middle name but going on what charlie was saying about playing ugly, then Malky would be exactly the man to do that. Fact is, i don''t think many of us realised how bad we were going to be defensively. If we did, not many would have agreed with letting him go. I was surprised at the time but felt maybe it was a bit similar to the Iwan situation. Harsh but fair. With Iwan maybe, with Malky, i''m not so sure. He would have kept the back line in order better than anyone else has this season.

Still, spilt milk and all that. The Doc and the Shack should be the new partnership for the future. After all, Doc''s not much older than Shack!!

DD -- you''re absolutely right. Greeno should have claimed that cross despite the ball-watching from the defenders. Shackell (who performed superbly) was not aware that Kezman was where he was for his goal otherwise he would have gone in and stuck a leg out instead of letting Green get the ball. And if I recall, Eddy was out of position and caught off guard with Cole''s goal.

Shacks was great. Eddy looked lost. Drury was solid.

Ultimately, I would like to see a Helveg/Shackell/Doherty/Drury defensive lineup.

I have to agree that we miss a player in the Malky mould. Since he went we have had no one taking command of the defence on the field.  For me this is one of the big minuses of the season...no natural leader at the back.

[quote]DD -- you''re absolutely right. Greeno should have claimed that cross despite the ball-watching from the defenders. Shackell (who performed superbly) was not aware that Kezman was where he was for his ...[/quote]

ny, can''t disagree with you or DDiM for the comment about Green. However, there''s clearly a confidence problem in the heart of the defense as witnessed by that third goal. Too many people are looking at other people for help rather than going and sorting it themselves. Fleming was just as guilty for not attacking the ball and then compounded it by looking to Green for help. Green probably has little confidence in his back four and the back four have reduced confidence in Green. Worthy needed to sort it months ago but he should now sort it for the end of season run-in so they at least go out with a good solid effort to stand them in good stead for whatever next season brings.

i would prefer a defence of:

eddie/helveg/shackell/charlton or drury (depends on how fast the right winger is!)

You have to agree though that without the leadership and organisational skills Malkay had, our defence has been a shambles all season.

You don''t go from having the best defence outside the Prem to the worst defence in the country by chance. Malkay''s exit was key and we''ve lacked a strong figurehead at the back.

I suggest you post this on the Hammers website and watch the responses. From all accounts their defence is as poor this season as ours.- just up against lesser forwards - If you listen to the phone ins on Talk sport or Radio 5 you''ll hear Malky and Repka getting stick from all the hammers fans.

[quote]DD -- you''re absolutely right. Greeno should have claimed that cross despite the ball-watching from the defenders. Shackell (who performed superbly) was not aware that Kezman was where he was for his ...[/quote]

couldnt agree more on the line up. Shame this wasnt realised a few months back as i feel its probably too late now. Our defence is the reason that we cannot do a great fight to survival

For the rest of the season I''d go for:

Helveg / Shack / Charlton / Drury

''Ultimately'' I''d go for:

New right / Shack / New CB / Drury (+ Cover for Drury''s dip in form next time we are in the PL).

--------------------------------

Malky is yetserdays man; looking fizzy pop average in an average west ham team - he and flem are on a par and Flem was the one most likely to adapt to the prem - but hasnt.   Malky may have gone for that header but I am just as confident that he would have cost us just as many goals as Eddy and Flem have. 

The Carvalho goal demonstrates just how far Flem has slipped  - he would have gone with his man last season but once again was guilty of ball watching; to lose outthe air is one thing but not to go with your man as he makes a move is criminal, to stand and watch him and then blame the keeper is shocking lack of leadershiop from the team and club captain.  At least when Jonson lost his man for a couple of goals against boro he accepted that the goals were his fault -all flem does is point his finger at a colleague. 

Of course Greeno should have come for the ball  (it was not a driven cross but floated and hungin the air an age - coming ofr the ball could also have gained a free kick if impeded) but given the unpredictable back four I cant blame him for a loss of faith in his defenders or the loss of confidence.

Our best defenders this season have been Charlie, Helveg, Drury & Shackell and once fit that should be our back four, with Doc being very unlucky that Charlie and Shacks have looked our best individual centre backs. 

OTBC