Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

SIMON CHARLTON NOT STARTING SATURDAY!!!

Nigel Worthington has confirmed that Simon Charlton will not being starting the match on Saturday against because (in his words)...

"purely and simply because Adam Drury and Jason Shackell are playing particularly well in Simon''s two best positions"

WHAT ABOUT FLEMING!!!! Is Nigel Worthington blind?

Someone help me, we are never going to stay up!

Well as Charlton has said he will be less than happy if he does not start i would expect him to want to leave at the end of the season. Another huge mistake from our LEARNING manager who puts his own favourites ahead of whats best for the team . How much longer do we have to suffer this fool .

Is Worthy blind, yes when it comes to our skipper.

Should have been moved aside earlier in the season probably August.

I really can''t understand why Fleming is yet again going to be in the starting line up. It''s not because of his recent "good form" is it Worthy? I would expect Worthington''s main reason for keeping him in the team is that Flem is really the only player we have at the club now who will really shout at players and say whats needed. Having said that, it was Shackell who seemed to be saying the most on the pitch against Chelsea... make him Captain I say... well maybe

[quote]Nigel Worthington has confirmed that Simon Charlton will not being starting the match on Saturday against because (in his words)... "purely and simply because Adam Drury and Jason Shackell are playin...[/quote]

Fleming is the new Holt...

I suspect that Worthy isn''t so blind, at least not how you suggest.  I suspect that Worthy has pinpointed Flem as his captain for a charge on the Championship next year.  QED, Worthy actually believes he is using foresight, by buttering up his man for one more year of duty!

The fact is that he has forgotten to put his glasses on and notice the fact that with Shacks and Charlton as our central defence we probably have our best chance of keeping a clean sheet (a what??) since 2004.

Ignoring the Fleming issue its got to be a good call - Charlton is a left side player and was awful when played on the right earlier this year. And Drury and Shacks have played well on the left side - and should stay put - thats entirely consistent with retaining the players in form and maintaining consistency. And Bolton are a big physical side.

Having said all of that what about Fleming? He''s not the man in form. Neither is he physically large. And he isn''t the ideal person to bring Shackell on - far to prone to panicking and blaming others. Perhaps the Doc should be tried.

With Charlton on the bench.  

As Toyah once sang ''Its a mystery oh its a mystery...''

I guess worthy has some concern at having 3 left footed players in defence but bearing in mid many teams have three right foot players why should it be any worse?  And playing flem is hardly giving the team balance so why not do the right thing Worthy?   Even Doc has performed far better than out of sorts one-F-in.

My back four if all fit for Bolton would be Helveg Charlie Shackell Drury

OTBC

Ayrton''s got this one right - Charlton, Shackell and Drury all like to play either at left back or as the left of the two centre halves. If one of them is asked to play as the right centre half, we may find them drifting out of position and not supporting the right back, whoever that may be (come on Helveg, get fit soon!). Three into two won''t go, and it would be unfair on wither Shackell or Drury to drop them in current form. I agree that Fleming is a problem, but I think the Doc should be brought in to replace him, as his height would come in handy against the aerial bombardment we''ll get at Bolton.

Not sure whether to believe it or not but I heard that the doc and hucks got fighting on the training ground and that is why he has been banished from the squad and will most likely leave at the end of the season. My father was told this by someone supposedly in the know who also told him that we would find the funds to finance Deanos move before it was actually known we had bid for him.

As regards Simon Charlton not starting on Saturday against Bolton, Worthers is demonstrating that he won''t allow sentiment to over-rule his decisions - why I think is the right course of action.

However, he the seems to be allowing sentiment to get the better of him as regards continually playing Fleming despite Fleming being the weakest link in a weak-looking defence.

Worthers matey, you can''t have it both ways..!?

NB: For the record, I think Nigel''s done a tremendous job since he arrived and deserves to lead us next season...

Sounds as though Worthy is starting to lose the players now; not long before it all goes horribly pear-shaped (or, rather, even more so, if that''s possible!). 

And as for playing two left-footers in central defence: Worthy''s got it wrong again. They are both professional footballers. They can kick with either foot. They know where to position themselves. It''s having the vision, concentration, ability to read the game and being in the right place at the right time that''s important (something Flem now lacks). Charlie would have had a stormer this weekend against his former club.

[quote]Sounds as though Worthy is starting to lose the players now; not long before it all goes horribly pear-shaped (or, rather, even more so, if that''s possible!). And as for playing two left-footers in ...[/quote]

I take it you didn''t see Charlton playing at right back against Blackburn? Trust me, he didn''t adjust!

[quote]I take it you didn''t see Charlton playing at right back against Blackburn? Trust me, he didn''t adjust![/quote]

Playing right back is a world away from playing right sided central defence - there are plenty enough right footed central defenders playing professional football who regularly play on the left side of central defence without any real problem so I struggle to see what the difference may be.    Given how Flem is playing he cant be any worse...

I agree though that Charlie RB performance was up there with the lets play Izzy at left back experiment as far as successful tactical ideas from our manager go (wasnt that a 2-0 home lead to Stoke lost in the 50 mins or so that Izzy was on the pitch as we held on for a draw)  

OTBC

[quote]Playing right back is a world away from playing right sided central defence - there are plenty enough right footed central defenders playing professional football who regularly play on the left side o...[/quote]

I''m not so sure, Zipper. A left-sided player will always drift left. Yes, I appreciate he''d be the right of the two centre halves, but he''d still have a duty to cover the right back, and offer support. Given the way he struggled to hold position as a right back, I wouldn''t take the chance. We could find the right back with very little help from his centre half should he find himself in trouble.

I do like Charlie, but Shackell and Drury''s form suggests they should remain in the side. And I for one don''t trust Charlton to give Edworthy enough support. Bring in the Doc - he could do it and he has the height necessary for Saturday!

A week or two ago I raised the question of Charlton replacing Fleming, but wondered about three "left footers". This was surely irrelevant, as I see now. Before he tried Shackle, Worthy persevered with Fleming and Doherty, i.e. with three "right footers".The only conceivable reason for Charlton being on the bench is that Worthy rates Fleming the better player of the two, unlike most people. Charlton played very well earlier in the season. Has he lost his ability?Or is this another case of Worthy''s blind loyalty?

[quote]A week or two ago I raised the question of Charlton replacing Fleming, but wondered about three "left footers". This was surely irrelevant, as I see now. Before he tried Shackle, Worthy persevered wit...[/quote]

No Charlton hasn''t lost his ability, but Worthy has lost the plot when it comes to playing Fleming.  Apart from Worthy, his coaching staff, and of course Fleming himself, the majority of supporters can see that Fleming needs to be rested.  Once again today we will see our illustrious captain being bypassed by the opposition forwards.

If you are looking for a good triple bet today then try Fleming to not get in a tackle, not get booked, and not pick up an injury.

Charlton would be OK at right-centre of defence. If not, put Doc in there, because it''s going to be route one football anyway from Bolton. Fleming will embarrass us again. As someone mentioned above, why is that we can all see where our problem is, but Worthington can''t? I just hope that we get shot of Fleming, Edworthy and Holt over the summer, and replace them with young, strong and mobile players.