Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

Will we score enough goals?

Does anyone else think that there is a lot of pressure (maybe too much) on Holt and Morison to score goals again this season?

The players CH has brought in so far are good players, don''t get me wrong, but I am struggling to see anyone else who will score 5+ goals this season. Our midfield certainly seems creative and maybe Pilkington, Howson and Snodgrass will chip in with a few goals each (if they all play regularly) but my worry is that after last season when Holt, and the whole team to an extent, surprised a lot of people, that this season we will get ''found out'' a bit more.

I''m really looking forward to the season but think CH has a job on to keep everyone happy (in what looks to be a team which will need rotating for this to happen) and still keep the starting 11 consistent enough for performance levels (and goals) to be high enough. This is something that in my opinion our former manager done very well.

Most people may say the obvious solution is buy a new ''goalscorer'' but they aren''t easy to find and I think keeping a settled team may be the way forward for us - I just think it may be a bit more of a challenge this season.

Note: I am not saying we don''t need a quality squad - I understand that injuries/suspensions and form will dictate that sometimes changes have to be made, but at the moment picking 11 players from our squad to put in a team is a tough job for CH.

Don''t see a problem scoring goals if Holt stays fit, so wouldn''t be surprised if we don''t sign another striker.

Midfield has some goals in it, especially Snodgrass and Pilkington. After his slow start, I can also see Elliott Bennett picking up from the Spurs game and getting a few.

Struggle to score more than 5 goals? If Jackson plays every game he''ll score more than 5 goals mate and if Vaughan stays fit and play he''ll score more than 10 easy I reckon. He has all the quality necessary and looks a natural scorer, but just needs that luck with fitness. I wouldn''t mind 1 more striker to replace Wilby and if Chrissy does go/doesn''t do well, but otherwise I think we''ll be ok. We certainly didn''t struggle last season. I think we''ll be tighter with the system CH uses too

also goals wasn''t a problem last year, with the creative additions of snod and butterfield we should be fine.

Getting the defence organised is the problem!

Scoring Goals will not be a problem.

I can see Holty if fit and on form getting more pitch time than last year, Hughton is not the tinkerman Lambert was. Hopefully Vaughan will be fit and if so can score as many as Jackson or Morison. Not to mention the huge goalscoring talent we now have in midfield.

Plus I strongly believe we will sign at least one more quality striker.

Looking like an unbelievable squad for the coming season.

If we get the defence sorted it will be a very interesting year

Good question, and taking into account that we are now a known quantity in respect of our strikers, it may well be a little more challenging,particularly for the front men. That said, I see goals from elsewhere in the team just like last season, particularly in midfield where Snodgrass has been added and he notches a few. So, a further addition up front will be very welcome, to further enhance what we have and give us a little more depth.

Yes Ron I have watched Spain but their game is more about possession. I think to compare the two styles isn''t realistic - can you see Norwich dominating possession against Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Arseanl, Chelsea etc? I certainly can''t.

My point was that now we don''t have the element of surprise, teams will be more wary of our threat and not just think ''easy three points against Norwich today''.

York Canary - good points but two big if''s, I can tell you now Jackson won''t play every game this season and I agree on Vaughan - if he stays fit then he is an asset, so we will see on that one.

I''m not trying to be contraversial, but our habit of conceding in most of our games last season means we will need to score to get points.

Yes, we will score enough goals...We scored for fun since the start of last season.The players that can score goals that we didn''t have back at the start of last season:- Snodgrass- Butterfield- Howson- Vaughan (i.e. he was injured)

I also expect Bennett to chip in more than last season. Tierney is of course more attacking than Drury was, so it''s likely he''ll create more chances. Outside of the players already mentioned, we also have Holt, Morison, Pilks, Wes, Jackson & Chris Martin. The only attacking player we''ve lost is Wilbers.

Scoring will not be a problem.

No reason to believe goalscoring will be a problem area.The only position i''m still concerned about is fullback.

I would like to see another striker brought in, i believe that is by far the weakest part of the squad . We have numbers but the quality is questionable , before Morisons leveler at Arsenal most City fans were calling for him to be shipped out this summer , Vaughan will always be a worry injury wise and Jackson and Martin would not be prolific in the Championship .Who to buy though ? Huddersfield are still talking £8 million for Rhodes which is silly money for somebody unproven at Championship level ( but not that silly when Rodriguez went for £7 million) and i cannot think of another name that is setting the lower leagues alight . Time to hit that foreign market we were supposed to be looking at .

A valid question. I think it is as much to do with Chris Hughton''s tactics and whether he can get players to perform to the level Lambert did.

Everyone seems to think that this group of players will perform in the exact same fashion for Chris Hughton as they did under Lambert. But will this really be the case? 

Lambert often deployed an open attacking style resulting in us creating lots of chances and scoring goals, regardless of the quality of opposition.  But this also left us vulnerable in defence. However, the net result was that we mostly outscored teams.

But will Chris Hughton deploy such an open tactical approach? Will we play the diamond? Will Wes be given license to roam and be as creative? What if Holt suffers a long term injury? 

I think that we might match last year, in terms of goals scored.

If our defence is stronger, and it could be that will take some pressure off the strikers - very often last year Holt was back in defence, we could leave more players forward and  reduce the power of other teams to get forward.

I think that we shall certainly score more goals from the midfield. We shall have Howson for a full season and fully fit, plus Butterfield who scores a few, and now Snoddy, not to mention Surs, Pilks and Wes. Bennett E has broken his duck now and is due for a few. I expect Johnson to play (forward) less, with the result that there will be fewer flying high or wide.

I think that we shall be even more effective going forward, with the power and depth in midfield, and most of them pack a powerful shot. Furthermore, they give us plenty of options.

Some pundits are predicing relegation for us, on the grounds that we shall not be a surprise team next year, but this cuts both ways - a new package in the engine room for us, which could be surprising, and we shall know our opposition better. Most of our team have had Premiership experience of at least one year, and I think that they will have learned. (I don''t expect to concede a penalty a match at first, for instance.)