Sign in to follow this  
south of the border

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

I know the main candidates for the new City boss have been discussed on here at length but I am interested in peoples opinion on whether Solskjær would be the right man for us.I know this is a bit ''left of field'' but the more I think about this the more I think he would be a good fit with our present set up & with our current squad of players.  He is young, ambitous & has just won the Norwegian league title with

Molde for the 1st time in about 100 years, I imagine he has been backed well financially but he must have enough about him to get the players

gelled together & motivated.Don''t think it matters that the Norwegian league may not be the strongest but he was at Man U for 14 years as a player & reserve team manager & has witnessed the master at work!!  I think his teams would play the brand of football that we have been used to watching over the past 3 years.He seemed serious enough about the possibility of becoming a premier league manager to fly from Norway to talk to Villa.  So it seems to me that he wants a way in to the premier league so why not us?  I don''t see why he should be seen as being out of our league!!Any thoughts?OTBC

Well based on McNally''s recent interview. He''s looking for a manager with top league experience, so the only ''top target'' discussed on here really, is Hughton, and he doesn''t have much experience in the Prem.

OGS, didn''t join Villa for what ever reasons (wasn''t offered the job, I think I read) so that kind of makes me think he''s not going to come here (not being offered the job, may have been partially down to his/his clubs public comments, or maybe it was all a smoke screen to hide the fact they poached Lambert :P).

I would be happy with Solskjear being offered the job, he appears to have done a pretty decent job in Norway. And while its not quite the ''top league experience'' McNally may have been referring too, its still probably a harder job than a few such as Clark and Robinson (maybe/probably even Mackay & Poyet) who have been mentioned.

Wouldn''t be a huge surprise if he is at least spoken too by the board.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]..............And while its not quite the ''top league experience'' McNally may have been referring too, its still probably a harder job than a few such as Clark and Robinson (maybe/probably even Mackay & Poyet) who have been mentioned.

Wouldn''t be a huge surprise if he is at least spoken too by the board.[/quote]Gingerpele, I would agree with you here & I would put him ahead of Neil Lennon aswell, Lennon''s temprement would be a bit too Roy Keane for me!!!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well based on McNally''s recent interview. He''s looking for a manager with top league experience, so the only ''top target'' discussed on here really, is Hughton, and he doesn''t have much experience in the Prem.

OGS, didn''t join Villa for what ever reasons (wasn''t offered the job, I think I read) so that kind of makes me think he''s not going to come here (not being offered the job, may have been partially down to his/his clubs public comments, or maybe it was all a smoke screen to hide the fact they poached Lambert :P).

I would be happy with Solskjear being offered the job, he appears to have done a pretty decent job in Norway. And while its not quite the ''top league experience'' McNally may have been referring too, its still probably a harder job than a few such as Clark and Robinson (maybe/probably even Mackay & Poyet) who have been mentioned.

Wouldn''t be a huge surprise if he is at least spoken too by the board.[/quote]

Ian Holloway has top flight experience [;)]

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7774275/Solskjaer-explains-Villa-snub

Just posted this on another thread where his name cropped up, but have now found the link. Didn''t take the Villa job because he didn''t want to relocate his family back to England. So I don''t think there''s any chance of him coming to us.

Personally, I''d like to see him given a shot here. Alex Ferguson always said that the reason Solskjaer scored so many off the bench was his ability to sit and analyse a game and then exploit it when he came on. I think he''s a very smart man and would be good tactically. I feel he has a big future as a manager and would like to see it start here.

[quote user="Aggy"]http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7774275/Solskjaer-explains-Villa-snub

Didn''t take the Villa job because he didn''t want to relocate his family back to England.[/quote]

Are you sure he didn''t mean relocate his family in Birmingham?

[quote user="FourFourTwo"][quote user="Aggy"]http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7774275/Solskjaer-explains-Villa-snub

Didn''t take the Villa job because he didn''t want to relocate his family back to England.[/quote]

Are you sure he didn''t mean relocate his family in Birmingham?[/quote]

Hahaha. Who could blame him?

If he didn''t want to relocate, why did he come to speak to them in the first place? My guess it was a polite way of saying ''thanks but no thanks''

Well, even so, if he made up excuses to let Villa down lightly so to speak, why would he not do the same for us? Let''s not forget that our manager has just left for Villa. If Solskjaer wasn''t willing to join Villa - either because he genuinely didn''t want to relocate his family again, or for whatever actual reason - then it seems fairly unlikely that he will come here. It wasn''t that Villa didn''t want him, it''s that he didn''t want Villa. Can''t see him saying no to them and then being in a rush to come here.

Next season is critical to us. he is untried and too much of a risk. Get it wrong we get relegated and have to make a large pay off to yet another manager