Sign in to follow this  
noseful

Ban twitter; it's cost us Grant!

Without twitter, Grant Holt would be a Norwich player next season and we''d all still worship him as the idol that he is. Now don''t get me wrong, I like a good tweet myself, but for those in the public eye, it can be dangerous.

OK, picture the events that have happened recently with one of my all-time NCFC heroes, Grant Holt, but WITHOUT the pernicious influence of twitter.

The news comes out that our hero Holt has handed in a transfer request. The shock news leads to much speculation - as it turns out, inaccurate speculation - leading to much heated debate in pubs and on message boards. [Importantly, none of us would have direct access to Grant.] The real reason he wants to stay, ie finish his career off at NCFC, emerges later on, and after a bit of bartering, he signs on for the extra year and he is still lauded as the hero he should be. All perfectly plausible, before you take into account the role twitter played.

With twitter, every numpty who has had too much beer can slag Grant off directly. Admittedly, this is probably is a very small percentage of true Norwich fans, but I can only imagine how that can feel from Grant''s perspective; horrible, upsetting, insensitive, unrepresentative views from the kind of knuckle-dragger you''d cross the street to avoid.

With all that dog''s abuse, it would be easy to believe that he''s not loved any more and want to move on. So if/when McNally actually offers Grant what he wants, which in my opinion is fully deserved, Grant says that too much has been said. Not by McNally and the board, but by idiot twitter users.

To make things worse, Grant also uses his twitter account, but without fully realising that anything he writes is open to intense analysis and can lead to speculation as well. Take the most recent # incident; it may have been deliberately provocative, and I wouldn''t blame him if it was, because that''s another fault of twitter; it encourages users to engage in shouting matches with each other where the chance for reflection is often lost in the rush to slag off your adversary. Look at other sports stars whose inappropriate tweets have landed them in hot water, too; Pieterson in cricket, Stevens in snooker, not to mention the plethora of footballers who constantly fall foul of the twitter-police. Another possibility is that Grant simply didn''t get down to the bottom of the tweet before retweeting! Inexcusable, but not impossible, which is why you have to be so careful with twitter as once it''s out there, it''s hard to recover.

Anyway, as stated earlier, I believe the outcome would have been completely different without twitter. McNally, get all NCFC players to close their twitter accounts; they are far more trouble than they are worth!

Good idea, I''m all for restricting people''s right to free speech.Let''s also ban message boards.Oh, and "feedback" sections on forums.Or maybe it''s a form of social Darwinism where if you behave like a knob, you''ll get treated like a knob.

So...Player throws toys out of pram via agentPlayer announces he wants to leave club via TwitterPlayer then starts using "Aston Villa" tags on his tweets to inflame the situation.Remind me who the "idiot Twitter user" is here?The only thing I''ve learned from the last few days is that Twitter should offer built-in spelling checks before posting.

twitter has helped us root out a player who wants to leave. If he had been sold this summer there would have outrage, why has the club done this etc.But now I feel relieved when he goes, it will be a relief that a player who wants to leave has done.Twitter useds appropriately is clever, however there are some who use twitter to the detriment of themselves. Personal views are those and sometimes they can fuel a flame/ fire. Holt has found that out, so good bye Holty and tweet away.

You can''t ban players from using social media in my opinion. Holt is a 31 year old man with a wife and 3 children. I think as a manager you have to trust a player to exercise the correct judgement in deciding what they right and post. He joined twitter in the knowledge that he could use it as platform to potentially gain a higher profile and to have a bit of fun. But on the flip side you know as a sportsman you are potentially opening yourself up to all kinds of abuse when things turn. That is the decision you take when you sign up. If Grant Holt leaves it will be because in my opinion both parties in this have been too proud and stubborn to make the right decision. We have been the best thing that has happened to Grant in footballing terms and likewise he has been the best thing that has happened to us in a long time. It simply won''t be the same for either party elsewhere.

What rubbish ! If someone in the Public Eye chooses to use Twitter the have to accept the full implications of what could and will happen.

Contract discussions should be behind closed doors and no one should comment until after legal obligations are complete.

I would imagine that DM thinks before pushing the tweet button.

The #holt4villa was as unfortunate as it was stupid.If he didnt know what he was doing then someone should throw his phone in the River Eden and change the password on his computer.

He is under contract to a business (like it or not) and if I slagged off the company I worked for on social media while still under their employment I would be sacked and quite rightly face possible litigation for libel.

Social Media has become a loose cannon and for most,part of its appeal is the lack of regulation , but those in the public eye need to be careful what they do and say.

Holt has made it clear he doesnt want to stay, we should thank him for what his done and get as much money for a player who has turned his back on all those who have supported him for his time a NCFC.

I support Norwich City Football Club, we love the players and manager for what they do to make our support more enjoyable as equally they disappoint when they don''t. If he goes to another PL club then I cant wait for FCR to be chanting "he fell over" everytime he goes to ground.

Maybe as a parting gesture he can pay for all of those who have a new shirt with his name on to buy themselves a new one.

I would actually argue twitter has gained us points this year. Holt is a much better play when opposing fans try to wind him up and some of his best games have come after a bombardment of abuse on twitter!Lots of prem clubs have banned their players from twitter in the past, i wouldn''t want to see us go that way.Just on another point, the idea that Holt re-tweeted the hashtag Holt2Villa as a mistake is ridiculous, if he had i am sure he would of come out and said it was a mistake, it even is more likely his agent made up a new account and tweeted holt the original tweet!

Bit of stirring there Mr Chops, he hasn''t started using Aston Villa tags on his tweets, he retweeted a charity event in Carlisle that had an Aston Villa tag.

[quote user="noseful"]Without twitter, Grant Holt would be a Norwich player next season and we''d all still worship him as the idol that he is. Now don''t get me wrong, I like a good tweet myself, but for those in the public eye, it can be dangerous. OK, picture the events that have happened recently with one of my all-time NCFC heroes, Grant Holt, but WITHOUT the pernicious influence of twitter. The news comes out that our hero Holt has handed in a transfer request. The shock news leads to much speculation - as it turns out, inaccurate speculation - leading to much heated debate in pubs and on message boards. [Importantly, none of us would have direct access to Grant.] The real reason he wants to stay, ie finish his career off at NCFC, emerges later on, and after a bit of bartering, he signs on for the extra year and he is still lauded as the hero he should be. All perfectly plausible, before you take into account the role twitter played. With twitter, every numpty who has had too much beer can slag Grant off directly. Admittedly, this is probably is a very small percentage of true Norwich fans, but I can only imagine how that can feel from Grant''s perspective; horrible, upsetting, insensitive, unrepresentative views from the kind of knuckle-dragger you''d cross the street to avoid. With all that dog''s abuse, it would be easy to believe that he''s not loved any more and want to move on. So if/when McNally actually offers Grant what he wants, which in my opinion is fully deserved, Grant says that too much has been said. Not by McNally and the board, but by idiot twitter users. To make things worse, Grant also uses his twitter account, but without fully realising that anything he writes is open to intense analysis and can lead to speculation as well. Take the most recent # incident; it may have been deliberately provocative, and I wouldn''t blame him if it was, because that''s another fault of twitter; it encourages users to engage in shouting matches with each other where the chance for reflection is often lost in the rush to slag off your adversary. Look at other sports stars whose inappropriate tweets have landed them in hot water, too; Pieterson in cricket, Stevens in snooker, not to mention the plethora of footballers who constantly fall foul of the twitter-police. Another possibility is that Grant simply didn''t get down to the bottom of the tweet before retweeting! Inexcusable, but not impossible, which is why you have to be so careful with twitter as once it''s out there, it''s hard to recover. Anyway, as stated earlier, I believe the outcome would have been completely different without twitter. McNally, get all NCFC players to close their twitter accounts; they are far more trouble than they are worth![/quote]

Don''t be such a twit (or is it tweet?)

Ruddys Ring

As I said earlier, if he didnt know what he was doing then someone/somewhere either agent or wife should take his toy away !

step I was aiming that at Mr Chops who falsely claimed Holt had started using it in his tweets, that means more than once which unless I''ve missed something isn''t the truth.

I understand that Ruddy, all i''m saying is Grant needs to think before twittering / retwittering.

I for one would love him play for us next season (which his agent claims is the preferred choice)

It all very well for his agent to blame social media for rumours and abuse but retweeting a Villa hashtag throws more fuel on fire.