Sign in to follow this  
Manchester Canary

Martin strikes again

I''m prepared to be proven wrong by Howson and it is quite possible I will be. I think he is a good player, but I am unsure about whether he will improve our midfield considerably. I think we have players already at the club who have as much or more to offer than Howson that is all.

Let''s hope that he can permanently up his standards, unlike our last signing from Leeds, Johnson. if we wanted to sign Leeds Utd players then Snodgrass would have been the major improvement we are looking for to boost our midfield options, as would Fabian Delph who they have had back on loan from Villa recently.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]I''m still waiting for one of you Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan fans to put some meat on the bones and start listing the numerous chances/goals he has created this season. My opinion is that I would rather see the likes of Pilks, Surman, Elliott Bennett and even Chris Martin given a run out at the tip of the diamond. Further more I''m convinced that at least one or two of them players can be as good or better than both Hoolahan and Howson in that position.[/quote]

Off the top of my head,

21 games starting. 5 games as sub. 3 goals. 8 assists which lead to goals.Unless i go through every video i can''t tell you how many goals were started initially by him,but there were a few at least.

Hope that helps.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]I''m still waiting for one of you Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan fans to put some meat on the bones and start listing the numerous chances/goals he has created this season. My opinion is that I would rather see the likes of Pilks, Surman, Elliott Bennett and even Chris Martin given a run out at the tip of the diamond. Further more I''m convinced that at least one or two of them players can be as good or better than both Hoolahan and Howson in that position.[/quote]

Off the top of my head,

21 games starting. 5 games as sub. 3 goals. 8 assists which lead to goals.Unless i go through every video i can''t tell you how many goals were started initially by him,but there were a few at least.

Hope that helps.

[/quote]Surman, 14 apps (1 sub), 4 goals plus numerous assistsPilks, 17 apps (4 sub), 7 goals plus numerous assistsChris Martin, 3 apps (1 sub) for NCFC and 11 apps (4 sub) for Palace with 5 goalsSee where we are going with this?  Hoolahan does not deserve a guaranteed starting place and we have several players capable of taking his position in the team who could offer just as much goal threat and creativity with a little more added physical presence too.  We have Howson to come in to the equation soon also and even then I am still not happy with the balance of our midfield.

This depends on what you define as an ''assist''.Being heavily involed in key buildup play but not playing the final ball before scoring means that officially it''s not an assist despite whatever went before it.If we just judge it on ''officially'' classed assists, then we have:Bennett - 5Johnson - 4Crofts! - 3Hoolahan - 3Fox - 2Surman - 1Pilks - 1Other notables include:Morison - 4Tierney - 3Holt - 3Barnett - 2All that aside, Pilks contribution has been far more than a single ''official'' assist, whereas despite his recent scoring form, Surman hasn''t ''officially'' done much else?Funny what stats can show.

[quote user="Downloads"]CDMullins has created 400 accounts just to talk about Hoolahan... Wouldn''t put it past him![/quote]Really?

[quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Wes has been woeful all season.[/quote]

No, that''s your opinion.

I think the opposite.

Still can''t decide whether you are CDMullins or Smudger.

[/quote]Seriously some people have lives outside this message board.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Wes has been woeful all season.[/quote]

No, that''s your opinion.

I think the opposite.

Still can''t decide whether you are CDMullins or Smudger.

[/quote]Seriously some people have lives outside this message board.[/quote]Really? [:|]

Thought that thread was going to be about Chris Martin, but it appears to be about Hoolahan and Howson?

Hoolahan has been woeful all season? Now that is just silly, seriously, how on earth can you think that? He hasn''t been brilliant all season, but woeful? Probably only one game I would maybe give him that rating for, MK Dons, even against Spurs he wasn''t woeful. I understand some people don''t think Hoolahan is all that good at this level, but to say he''s that bad, well I don''t see how you could have been watching him play, seems way OTT. He is involved in A LOT of our attacking play, he may not be scoring too many, or even directly assisting that many, but he''s still a key player when he''s (and the players around him) are on form....

As for Howson, he will offer another option, with Crofts and now Johnson not really being in favour, its maybe an option we don''t need, do we really need another attack minded midfielder? But he''s what 24ish, so have a few years here to establish himself, i''m sure he''ll do a fine job.

Chris Martin however, i''m glad he''s scoring a few at Palace, is he still playing an AM position? Either way, he appears to be doing ok for himself, maybe just maybe he has a role to play here next season? I think Vaughan playing well could actually help his chances, if he''s proving efficient in an AM role, then he could be a decent player to have as an option for their or upfront, and if we have Holt, Morison, Vaughan and Jackson all fitting in well, having a back up player like Martin would be pretty useful.

But i''m sure a high percentage still think he''s Championship at best standard, and Lambert thinks he''s got a terrible attitude and wants shot...