Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Darron Gibson

looks to be signing for Everton today and according to Oliver K on his blog, is going for 500k with add ons. Now unless that fee is that low because of a pending return move with Rodwell to Man U, then I''m amazed at that price. Surely we could have competed there, bigger wages or not?

Does anyone else think that is the deal of the season?

No because Gibson isn''t that good.... There is a reason why he''s going for £500k, a reason why I believe he didn''t make the Man.U 25 man squad (I think anyway, he could be in it). He''s not a bad player, but I personally don''t think he''s any better than what we have.

[quote user="spencer 1970"] Does anyone else think that is the deal of the season?[/quote]

Yeah..................for Manchester United. We need a bit of class and composure in our midfield not another willing runner.

Darron Gibson is not that good he has a tremendous shot in his armory but that is about all every now and again he will smash one in but other times he will send his shots all over the place, and as stated his wages will be out of our range isnt that why he never signed for Sunderland because of his wage demands.

reason he''s gone for 500k is that he''s out of contract at the end of the season, I believe. And as SAF would rather bring Paul Scholes (Q-"why did you retire?" A-"my legs have gone") out of retirement than play Gibson, he''s not exactly going to have much opportunity to stick him in the shop window and try to get more for him in the next few weeks, is he?

It''s not just the wages, Everton have given him a 4 and a half year contract. That is a massive commitment to a player who has been good in bursts. He was suppose to move to Sunderland in the summer but his £50k a week wage demand sunk that deal - I would imagine he has come down from that kind of demand after another 6 months of average performances.

It''s hard to judge his quality as he hasn''t been given a long run of games in the team - which will always provide inconsistant performances, but seeing as Man U have a bit of a midfield ''crisis'' it doesn''t fill you with confidence about his abilities.

Im not saying the fee wasn''t 500k, But the deal was Undisclosed and most reports I''ve seen have said around the £2million mark.

He showed great potential when he first came through at United, hence the reason Fergie gave him a big 4 year contract. But for the past year they''ve struggled to get rid off him because of the 50k+ wages he was offered back in 2008.

If he recaptures his early form he could prove a bargain.

At 500k I''d have him, but at 2million I wouldn''t.

How can he demand £50k a week? He''s played a bit part for the past 4 seasons, he''s not a youngster any more, he couldn''t get in the Man.U team when they had 3/4 CMs out (They would rather play players out of position than Gibson it seems), I don''t even know if he made the 25 man squad this season?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]They would rather play players out of position than Gibson it seems[/quote]

Never mind that. They would rather bring players out of retirement than play him.

Pretty limited to be honest and it genuinely wouldn''t have been a signing which would have excited me had it come off. He just reminds of a slightly poorer version of Craig Gardner.

Why would Gibson be anymore expensive?? He barely played for United and when he did he looked poor and out of place at times.

He''s probably on a lot of money wage wise. His fee was apparently £2m which seems quite expensive. Probably about £1m-1.5m too much, in my opinion.

blimey - a lot of are you saying he was on 50K...I didn''t think it would have been that much...but I don''t have a clue on that so I''ll go with you. Re- his quality, I''ve only seen him 3 or 4 times and he looked class, but that was a while ago.

Oliver Kay in the Times doesnt often get it wrong so I believe the £500k price.

Admittedly I''d rather have 10 David Fox''s at that price but we aren''t going to find to many more of them in the bargain bin are we?

It''s well know that United up their players wages for a while before they are sold to ensure the player gets a better deal at the club that buys him.

O''Shea and Brown were examples of this. Gave them both a pay rise knowing full well that they were going to be sold, so when Sunderland came knocking they had to offer them a wage that was in keeping with what they were getting at United.

I suspect Gibson is no different.