Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Naughton the Right back, at Left back?

What are your thoughts on a natural Right back playing in the left back position when we have a very good Left back sitting on the bench - Adam Drury?

I''ve seen naughton today and at WBA when he also played LB and im not sure. Having to always cut onto his right put us in some trouble today to the extent that IC was telling Ruddy to kick it long rather than play it to Naughton. If drury is on the left I have no problem as he can just ''hoof'' it up the line into space but Naughton can''t do that.

Is lambert also looking to Naughton to fill in for tierney if the rumours he is leaving become true? With Drury not getting younger and he will need cover at left back is he testing Naughton on the left to see if he could be the right man to replace Tierney?

Is he playing Naughton on the left to deal with the speed that James Morrision (last week) and Daniel Sturridge have and Drury isn''t quick enough to cope with that speed anymore?

Discuss.

I thought Naughton had a terrific game at left back. He stays on his feet and either nicks the ball or blocks it. He''s intelligent when going foward too. Just wish he''d shoot sometimes. Apparently he has great strikes in his armoury. I like Tierney too but wish he wouldn''t dive in sometimes.

[quote user="Xavi- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I thought it could have been to deal with sturridge who is very left footed so would attack naughtons stronger side.[/quote]

He did very well against Sturridge who is an excellent footballer. But Naughton played there last week at WBA.

nana, you are showing yourself up a tad here fella. Naughton has had 2 great games on the left for us and had Sturridge and Scharner in his pocket for most of the game(s), admittedly he gets pulled inside a bit but thats part of the plan as that what Sturridge likes to do. I saw Sturridge at white hart lane and he was devastating and easily chelskis best player...so I''d be more worried that we are proving what a versatile player he can be to ''Arry as I reckon he ain''t far off pipping Assou-Ekotto to the LB position as he is the spurs weak link.

But the times that he got the ball, cut onto his right and chelsea got the ball was far too often and they looked like scoring every time! I don''t see why we have a LB on the bench and play a RB at LB?

something to do with the loan contract?

Agree with most about this - a strange question OP as naughton was fantastic today and last week, both at left back. Put in some great tackles, was intelligent with the ball and knew when to just hoof the ball clear. Got caught out in possession once or twice which was disappointing but then so did most of the team at some point including whitbread who deservedly got mom.

I think when tierney returns, naughton may replace Martin at RB - has looked solid on either side

Agreed, I actually think RM has looked the lesser of the 4 defenders in the last few games (QPR, WBA, and Chelsea). He''s still a great player, I just think we may have a better 4 and he could do with a rest.