Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

one downside of the premier league

When weren''t in the prem i used to enjoy it when a smaller club took a scalp of one of the big four. Now we have to hope that the smaller clubs get hammered every game to help our cause and it sticks in the throat a bit having to want those plastic tossers to win [:(]

The premiership wouldn''t be the premiership without those big teams.

All this hate for the big teams is ridiculous. So what they have a lot of money, its the same in every other walk of life isn''t it? Some countries have more money, some businesses have more money, some people have more money. And I know its not just football clubs/footballers who get stick, but the hate shown towards the big teams by other supporters is silly.

''plastic tossers'' Whats that even supposed to mean? It means absolutely nothing.

What I hate the most is the fact we get one home game a month ! :( Missed Blackburn game so it feels like ageeeeeesss since I have been to Carrow Rudd :(

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The premiership wouldn''t be the premiership without those big teams. All this hate for the big teams is ridiculous. So what they have a lot of money, its the same in every other walk of life isn''t it? Some countries have more money, some businesses have more money, some people have more money. And I know its not just football clubs/footballers who get stick, but the hate shown towards the big teams by other supporters is silly. ''plastic tossers'' Whats that even supposed to mean? It means absolutely nothing.[/quote]

you missed my point ...we weren''t in the prem we could enjoy blackburn beating arsenal or qpr beating chelsea but as things are we need the big teams to beat our rivals every game ... plastic tossers ? there will be plenty of them in the away end next home game [:D]

Don''t you mean their supporters are not real, genuine supporters but more like people who cling to the "in" team to make themselves feel better?

Don''t know what was so difficult about understanding what spartacus meant by plastic tossers.

However, I wouldn''t think too many of the ones who travel are plastic. Tossers, yes, but not plastic. :)

Well Spartacus I do kind of understand. But still i personally would rather watch the top teams playing at their best and beating the poor teams by a few goals while playing brilliant football. Maybe you don''t watch much other football? As i know many Norwich fans on here don''t seem to be interested in other teams. I suppose it is nice to see the underdog win, but it doesn''t really upset me when they don''t...

And plastic fans, if your going to call the top teams fans plastic then you need to do that for every sport. Who''s your fave Tennis player, or F1 driver etc etc I bet most people who don''t follow those sports closely, or even those who do like to go on about how much they love Nadal, but now those people will all suddenly love Djorkovic. F1, so many Button fans after he won his GP, but once he started not winning last year (or was it last year he won, I can''t remember) he was forgotten about and Hamilton overtook him in popularity again.

People like to support the best team/individual. Most people don''t like Stoke because of how they play, but everyone loves Barcelona. When someone is doing everything right they are going to be popular.

oh I am all about the underdog.

Love seeing top teams struggle and as usual the media suddenly blow it out of proportion. Just can''t wait till one of then have an owner who leaves them in a mess.

But yes this season I have no problem, because I have a vested interest. I want the top 6-8 to beat any team that is below us. Doesn''t make me hypocritical because I want my team to survive and that means I want the best teams to beat those below us and do what they should do.

But I support the underdog and want to see top teams struggle, but this year I care about the one club that effects how I feel throughout the week and that I have supported from a very early age.

I do not see a problem with that.

Ha funny I don''t have any feeling towards barcelona, I love the fact that stoke and bolton play a different style of football, like wimbledon did in the top league.

I love and follow all sports and usually find myself supporting players that are up and coming or have impressed me.

Del Potro for example in tennis is extremely good, had a horrific injury and now is getting back to playing great tennis, but I am a serve volley fan. He is not, so again Ivansevic was my player.

Athletics it is very rare that I support a British athlete, Michael Johnson was the only runner that I would highly admire in the 400 or 200 metres because his total domination and way of controlling the race.

Grand prix, I don''t support a british driver. I used to support senna and from then on the nearly men, webber, fisichella, montoya but admired the great schumacher.

Maybe it is becaue I don''t like the way our media cuddle and fluff up some of the british sports personalities.

Rugby League I support Catalan Dragon, a yo yo team who have some exceptional ball players.

Rugby union my quarter irish came out when I was young because england were so dull, still are if you look at their on field exploits. Their off field exploits however are more like it.

NFL however I support the 49ers, team of the eighties, but had a rough 10-12 years. I hate ''America''s team'' Dallas and want any team to beat them. As it seemed another 80,000 fans did at wembley stadium a year ago

Simlarily I support the Hawthorn Hawks AFL team, again being young jumped on the best team but have had it rough since.

But within football, I never want the top teams to do well, don''t care about europe or how they do play. It is Norwich City and nothing else.

It is an interesting debate, as I said I am all about the underdogs, for me it is the best television.

(1) It gives the minnow some glory

(2) The media seem stunned that the script is broken

(3) It can bring a team back down to earth

I will never forget Pakistan losing in the cricket world cup to Ireland on St Patricks day. It is what for me sport is about.

But this season, I care about Norwich''s survival. That means underdogs (which aren''t real underdogs if you are in the prem.) can lose and be below us.

See thats just something I can''t understand.

QPR, one are our direct rivals. Two QPR are just as bad as Man.City, they just haven''t been able to spend quite the same amount of money, but they essentially did last season, what Man.C are doing this season.

I like underdogs in certain situations, but to be honest I would much rather Man.C win the league this season because they are playing the best football, and I would rather they beat QPR because QPR deserve to get relegated :P

As the seaon gos on, the teams below us we will want to get beaten. At the moment it doesn''t seem quite so clear cut.

True we probably want the big clubs to beat clubs around us and hope we can nick a point or two off them like we did at Liverpool.

Newcastle beating Everton? Not so sure about that one. It doesn''t take much of a bad run at this stage of the season to land you up near the bottom again.

I think the best results in most circumstances is a draw. Means one less point per match for any of our rivals.

I see what you mean Spartacus. Today I watched QPR against Man City, and while I really enjoyed QPR''s first half display and found myself instinctively rooting for them -- until I realized that from a Canary point of view a ManCity win would be more useful. But then... The fact that we some interest in almost all PL games, as all teams are our rivals, is a priceless experience!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

they just haven''t been able to spend quite the same amount of money, but they essentially did last season, what Man.C are doing this season.[/quote]

What its like in your imaginary world? Obviously gets confusing from time to time.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]because QPR deserve to get relegated :[/quote]

Why? Never have understood the animus against our little club on here, which is a shame, because if you''ve been through what we''ve been through at QPR, you tend to have sympathy with other smaller clubs.

I''d like to see all three promoted sides stay up.

Lucien, its not personal (well I suppose it is a bit), but QPR are just one of those teams I don''t particularly like, you must have some as well?

While I have some respect for Warnock, I don''t really like him.

Your start player has a terrible attitude, people go on about Tevez, but in my eyes Tarrabt isn''t much worse...

Joey Barton.

And although i''m sure we have fans who do it as well, their just seems whenever i hear QPR fans talking about themselves, they seem to think they are wonderful. Its probably only a few individuals, and like I said i''m sure we and every other club have fans like that.

Money, a lot of Norwich fans probably wouldn''t want Fernandes or your previous owners anywhere near our club, and while I maybe wouldn''t want them specifically and am absolutely delighted with our current set up, i''ve always wanted Norwich to have loads of money to spend. And when a team like QPR, Leicester etc get lots of money to spend, it just annoys me a little that its not Norwich.

That imaginary world comment, no need for it. I only just saw that part, because you like me have problems with the quoting on here (seems only Firefox and maybe IE actually work properly). Your a QPR fan with 5 posts, who''s come to ask me why I want your team to get relegated, and you essentially insult me. You don''t know me, so please don''t insult me on an internet message board.

I''m not sitting here praying QPR get relegated, but there are certainly other teams I would rather stay up.... I''m sorry if that offends you, I just don''t really like QPR.

Rest assure, OP. Who you want to win, especially when you are not there to make noise, has no impact on the result, so go ahead and cheer for QPR to beat ManC.

I don''t like how the big sides dominate the League. There has always been ''big'' clubs, but the gap has never been so big between those and the rest of the League. Man Utd were relegated in the 80''s, that''ll never happen again unfortunately. We finished 3rd, that''ll never happen again unless a multi Billionaire comes in, but then the success would feel less special. I always like to see the smaller clubs beat the big clubs, but if it affects NCFC in a bad way, then unfortunately, I''ll be cheering for Man U, Chelsea etc a few times this year :(

Lucien - GingerPele is right, you did buy your way to the title last season like Man City are doing this year. What''s it like in your imaginary world where they didnt?

The dislike of your club comes from the fact you have a tinpot ground that you haven''t been able to fill for years (although no doubt you''re reaching the dizzy heights of 19k now you''re in the prem... and you bought your way to success. Same way no one likes Wigan, tinpot ground, barely any fans, bankrolled by a multi-millionaire.

In addition to that, I don''t even think you''re very good and if you hadn''t had Taraabt then you wouldn''t have even made playoffs last season.

Then you go and sign c***s like Barton. He can be as good as you like on the pitch, he is still a disgrace of human being and I wouldn''t want him at my club, he''s scum.

Basically, what I''m trying to say is: Why should we like QPR and want you to do well? There''s nothing endearing about your club, you are just the latest billionaires toy and I look forward to the bubble popping in a few years and watching you do a Portsmouth when your sugar daddy pulls the plug...