Sign in to follow this  
irishcanary

Francis/Mulryne

Just thought i would post a message to gauge peoples reaction, What did you think of Francis performance on Saturday.
When he first joined us i was impressed with him, then his game went off the boil, but against Sheff utd i thought he played really well. He followed this up in with a poor performance against Wimbledon, an average performance against Coventry and against West Ham i thought he did not look interested. This brings me on to a more worrying point. When Francis is playing badly, why does NW not give Mulryne a chance. Is there a reason why Mulryne has fell out of favour with NW or is he carrying an injury. If Francis has no competition for his place why does he need to try. It was reported in a couple of papers at the weekend that we are interested in the midfielder Jon Harley (at west ham on loan from fulham). Is this because NW knows Mulryne''s days here are numbered. Would the fans be happy if Mulryne went

I like Mullers, but I think he has failed to live up to his standards this season. I also think your assessment of Francis''s performance is a little unfair. He won a lot of challenges and used the ball sensibly for the most part. He stood off from a couple of challenges, but the whole team did to a certain extent.

I think NW has to let him get some consistency together, and I think this is why he gets the nod ahead of Mullers at the moment. We need all three on top of their game for the final run-in.

I think Francis has been outstanding for us since he joined in the summer. I think to say he didn''t look interested on saturday is a bit harsh. Coming up against a West Ham midfield was tough and I thought he did his job well. He is just much more creative than Mullers. Mulryne''s game consits of being camped in our half and rarely has the skill to take players on. I''d play Francis over Mulryne any day.

Francis over Mulryne is my vote. The reason Mulryne has probably not been playing is probably down to three things:

1. Has not improved over the last two seasons and has failed to capitalise on his ability
2. Does not put in the ''work rate'' that Worthy is constantly highlighting
3. Is too fat (living on take aways from what we have heard on here)

At least Francis is happy now and again to go forward and play forward passes. Mulryne is lucky if he passes the half way line and invariably does not know what passing forward means.

I agree that Francis did not have one of his better games on Saturday, but I still believe at present he gives more to the team than Mulryne. Mulryne unfortunately falls into the same category as Rivers, which is that they are both highly skilled and talented players, but for some unknown reason they cannot produce consistent performances and as a result are not getting in the team.

Francis and Holt are both good combative midfield players who give their all for the team, but neither can be put in the same class as an Ian Crook or a Phil Mulryne on his day. Therefore, I believe that the priority for strenghtening the squad at the moment is a top midfielder who can pick out the runners and make those telling passes. I haven''t heard lately whether Worthy is still planning to bring in any loan players for the final push. Mind you, as we are doing well on the injury and suspension front, he is probably happy to stick with the current batch of reserve players to fill the gaps.

Fully agree ,Nav Man, Francis does use his tallents to the maximum, Mulryne is lazy and ready for the easy back option, as is Rivers. Surely if the players we are critisizing were to take a look at Hucks in full flight, some of that example of whole hearted effort might just rub off on them. Or am I just being silly, thinking that if they wanted action they would put in the work rate. Therefore sitting on the bench is a nice comfortable way of earning a very good living.

I''d say Francis over Mullers as Francis plays the ball forward, mullers always seems to want too much time or somehow slows the game down. Francis is like 3-lungs he chases and challenges hard but he also compliments 3-lungs as he wants to go forward where gary perhaps does not.

However I think we need mullers. There has been a couple of times this season when Worthy has bought Mullers off the bench and we have benefited from the different style of play that he has given us. Lets keep a big squad!

I am a little concerned about Paul McVeigh. Think he is great and he is doing brilliantly, just seemed on saturday though that he was looking too much for Huck and not prepared to canter forward and take people on like we know he can. Do you think he is a bit short of confidence? Paul - If you are reading, you can do what Huck does, you''re that good, don''t stop at the half way line, skin the man and get down the sideline be a bit selfish and believe!

Saturday was a bit wierd as compared to the Coventry game it seemed as if we were tired. Couple of players didn''t have their best games.

Keep it going bhoys, not far now, the last big push

They probably are getting tired as NW has had them absolutley gunning for it in the last few games at 110%. I''m quite concerned that they''re going to be shattered soon with the long trip to Sunderland looming and the visit of WBA three days after that. And visits to Cardiff and Palace also not too far off. This is when the small squads will start to show.
I think NW will need to freshen up soon by starting Svensson, perhaps giving Mullers a couple of starts, or maybe putting Shackell in v Cardiff to reaquaint himself with Mr Earnshaw.
But I would still like to see this team given a go before the season''s out (sorry Macca):

Edworthy..Fleming..Mackay..Shackell..Drury

.......Holt.........Francis.........Brennan.......

............................Huckerby.................

.................Svensson............................

I think that playing Francis and Holt in the centre has been crucial to our success this season, as it has meant that both wings have been mainly free to attack and we have been very solid- nicking games by 1-0. It also means that when Hucks breaks if he loses it then they cannot break back, so it gives him the freedom to simply play. This is why I think Brennan should be playing aswel, as with him and Drury on the left there is rarely a way back through.

I think Worthy is simply playing to our strengths i.e Hucks! Were doing well lets just keep it going.

Sorry Irish Canary, but you obviously saw a different match to me on saturday - although Francis did not have one of his better games, to say he didnĀ“t look interested is way off the mark.