Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Will we strengthen more?

I''m absolutely delighted that we are looking good to sign Deano.  He could be the answer we''ve been looking for.  I''m just wondering if we''ll spend any more cash though?  I''m torn in whether we will.  On the one hand I wouldn''t have thought we would not have much more to spend than what we have spent on Deano.  £2.5-3M is a hell of a lot (Though a bargain for Deano!)  I didn''t thinlk we would spend this much in the window, let alone on one player.

Having said that though I wouldn''t have thought Worthy would have put all his eggs in one basket in signing Ashton.  I know he''s a fantastic striker but I would have thought, given our injury luck, Worthy would still like to bring in a couple more players.

Do you expect us to bring anyone else in?

Well it looks like Hulse is off to Sheff Utd and Kevin Campbell to west Brom, so that rules those ones out.

Given Worthy''s smoke screens etc of a week ago followe by the Ashton "rabbit out of the hat" on Friday I wouldn''t rule out another signing/loan or two.

I too think that some further strength up front can only help (Harewood), but feel that that a decent partner for Damien and Doc respectively are where we should be focussing efforts.

Nothing will surprise me anymore, but 3 points from Villa Park will do for starters.

If the newspaper quotes I read from Worthy this morning are correct then I definitely expect some activity of some sort. He said he was still interested in Harewood, but only at the right price. I also suspect that he''ll be looking at addressing our defensive problems - well, he''d stupid not to, wouldn''t he? I reckon that we won''t be spending much more money (unless the Harewood deal materialises), so expect free transfers and loans. If someone like Huth or Henchoz came in I''d be very pleased and very optimistic about our chances of survival.

Agree with what you''re saying about Ashton, DDiM. I worked in Crewe about 3 years ago when we signed Rivers and the locals I spoke to were laughing about that but even back then they were dreading the day Ashton left them. I didn''t hear a single thing said against him as a player and I think Worthy''s made a great signing.

I''d expect to see a couple more signings though, maybe a defender for about £500k and someone else on loan but as has been pointed out elsewhere we don''t have great money for wages, so I can''t really name any names that I think would be good targets.

Having said that, I think we''re getting the hang of defending now, albeit with the odd mistake but it''s nowhere near as bad as at the start of the season so I''d be happy with an attacking or defending midfielder because, let''s face it, we need goals but we also need some strength in depth in the squad - the recent injuries have proven that!

Steve Sidwell at Reading is just about the outstanding midfield player in the Fizzy League, and he is still young...make a great partner for Dammo

well seeing as he said both everyone was too expensive then straight after suprisingly pulling off an ashton swoop he says he wouldnt mind harewood either, he might buy all our signings very quickly

i personally think he''ll go for harewood, then get a defender on loan or free transfer!

if harewood doesnt work out, he''ll sign someone like scowcroft or hulse(despite being linked with sheff utd) on the cheap and then a defender aswell(that bloke form aberdeen isnt there?)

despite all the bad press, id like to give dean richards a go! he once cost what was it £8mill and he rejected soton last week, i reckon a loan deal untill end of season could be on the cards! although his reason for not going to soton was that he didnt want to move to far south, and stay in the london area-norfolk isnt exactly what he wants though probably!

I think we need someone with a bit more experience - Bentley is a talented youngster and that gives us too much inconsistency. Someone to coach the youngsters on the pitch is needed - so that would rule out christie, Bent, Hulse and harewood (the latter is no better than we already have anyway)In defence Lescott, Henchoz, Jagielka or Richards would be better than the rabble we already have but would come at too great a cost given the amount of budget we have used on Ashton (typed blown but that gives the wrong impression - he is a GREAT signing) I like Julio Arca a lot and he is out of contract in the summer - £500k well offered in my view - unlikely to be accepted but if we dont offer we wont get.Sidwell in midfield would be good but still feel that the defence is the priority rather than midfield, although a partner for Damo is needed.OTBC

I think we can''t afford not to strengthen.  It is obvious to me, we at the very least need some squad players.  A few more injuries and we could be playing Ward & Gallacher as outfield players.

We need, IMO a defender with some pace.  We have very little pace at the back and this causes us to defend very deep at times due to the worry of players getting in behind us.  I agree with Zipper that Lescott & Richards could do well for us and I have been very impressed with Jagielka this year.