Sign in to follow this  
thetford canary

worthingtons summer buys

Have any been successful?

Jonsons looked better last few games but hasnt scored yet or created many goals not good for 1m

Dohertys slow and the defence is shipping goals, not much better if at all than Mackay 750k is a fortune

Helvegs been a huge let down, very good game vs liverpool but aside from that has looked anything but a seasoned international. No doubt has cost a bomb in wages.

Charlton has caused problems as he is short and couldnt play with Fleming. Not much better than Drury/Brennan at LB imo

Safri has barely played and even when he was fit he couldnt play because of his religion (something the club should have considered before buying as he missed alot of games) 500k may prove to be well spent if he can ever get fit

All the new signings and yet there is not ONE good left winger at the club, the central midfield is constantly outclassed and its taken 6 months to get a goalscorer in, the defence looks poor shipping goals and looks slow and old.

Am i being harsh on NW or does he deserve criticism?

Given the benefit of hindsight I''d say yes.  Jonson is lookin good, hopefully Helveg is getting better, Charlie is brilliant, Bents was getting better, Doc is good enough at the back for me and I think Safri is damn good

[quote]Have any been successful? Jonsons looked better last few games but hasnt scored yet or created many goals not good for 1m Dohertys slow and the defence is shipping goals, not much better if at all t...[/quote]

you should be careful what you say thetford canary

"Safri has barely played and even when he was fit he couldnt play because of his religion"

People may take offence by that ?

I think you will find safri has been injured and he looked good to me when he played maybe a few passes a miss but i guess with a good run in team

i am sorry but price does not come into it in today''s market

1 million does not get you much ? look at robbie blake is he worth 1.25 million ? after all he will just be a sub probably

[quote]Have any been successful? Jonsons looked better last few games but hasnt scored yet or created many goals not good for 1m Dohertys slow and the defence is shipping goals, not much better if at all t...[/quote]

ummmmmmmmm  2 posts from thetford canary i think i smell a binner in our ranks , to come out with such garbage as u have just written.

To be fair Thetford boy, Charlton has been superb, Doherty has played better than Flem recently, Jonson is turning into a bit of a cult figure. Safri has looked good on occasions and Helveg is either awesome or $%^$^

where are Coventry in the league? Its not really a supportive case in a not unreasonable debate?

i don''t think his absence was due to Ramadan so its probably irrelevant but it would be a valid point if it was.

Jonson - Well worth the money, has got better and better, and was one of the few players to come out of the Villa game with any credit.

Helveg - Has played well in his best position for us (Right back) put in a performance against Liverpool that Edworthy could only dream of. Quality player if played in the right position

Doherty - Best central defender we have at the club. Has played well for the last 5 or so games. Good signing, is still young.

Safri - Hasn''t really had much chance to prove himself, but on his day is a good midfielder, could be a great squad man...a decent buy at 500k

Charlton - Has been better than Drury by a mile this season, the true standout signing and gives our backline a bit more experience.

Safri is the best by a mile, he will be absolute class alongside Francis.

Charlton is good at centre back but no better than Drury at full back.

Jonson is getting better and puts alot of work in but the final delivery is poor at the moment.

Bentley.....thanks and bye.

Helveg.....thanks and bye in the summer.

Docherty.....tall and ummmmmmmm gives at least ten free kicks away around the area in any game.

charlie has been fantastic, and the others are coming good now. we could have bought a lot better though. Interesting point about Malky and Doc, i think Malky could have been as good, maybe we should have kept him

There are two ways of looking at this - one is to judge players against what we expect and the other is to judge whether the team has actually progressed since we won the championship.

Given the high profile nature of some of the players I guess overall they have disappointed, but much of the blame for that lies with the manager as the players for not giving them enough pitch time when available and/or playing them out of their best position. For example would anyone expect Eddy to play well in centre midfield or Flem up front? Thats is what we have asked the likes of Bents, Doc and Helveg to do.

Doc - I decried his signing as an absurd waste of money - however now that he is in his preferred position he is fast becoming our most consistent performer and deserves his place at centre back. Struggled as a striker showing he is not one and just how poor our striking options were for Worthy to even try him ahead of a fully fit, at the time, striker set.

Charlie - Has performed at the required level for most of the season and only looked vulnerable at full back with a lack of defensive cover in front of him, the same as Drury. Best at centre back for me.

Helveg - has paid dearly for not being given pitch time but, IMHO, is easily the defender at the club if only we used him properly. Played out of position too many times and unfairly blamed for a couple of defeats while playing there.

Safri - another of the why on earth have we bought him signings. However he is significantly better than others in his position (Holt, Mullers) although I still feel he falls short of the necessary ability and lacks enough pace too.

Bents - started life as a one trick pony and played out of position on the right wing. Saw the ability he has and best of him when moved central and starting to show he would really benefit the squad when a crude tackle affected our relegation hopes, not a wide midfielder but a player in the whole just of the striker.

Jonson - has visibly improved throughout the season as he adjusted to the stupid pace of the prem game and has been our best player or there abouts for the last half dozen games. Still not sure if he is really a striker out of position or not!

While I may be disappointed with our league position I have to say that Worthys summer signings have significantly, not just a little bit, improved our squad since we won the championship. All of the players should be in our starting 11 if fit and the problems really start with the residual squad members from 2003-2004 and worthys inability to decide on his best team, best formation and lack of faith in his own signings.

Transfer wise this season has been a success.

OTBC

[quote]ummmmmmmmm 2 posts from thetford canary i think i smell a binner in our ranks , to come out with such garbage as u have just written.[/quote]

You are indeed right Barclayendboy, a binner in disguise. He goes back 18 months or so on other message boards, he said he supported the binners, but has decided to support City. (Once a binner always a binner)!

Anyway I have had a few run ins with him on other message boards, and the bloke is the most totally obnoxious racist person it has been my misfortune to meet on any message board. He has been banned countless times on another City message board, and will probably be banned from here if he comes on spouting stuff like that in future. Thing is though, this time he is on a message board controlled by a company much more powerful than a board owned by one individual.

Having said that he has sparked a reasonable debate, but the Safri comments are to provoke a reaction, which is how he gets his kicks. I must admit though that in this instance, what he has said is quite mild compared to some of the s**t he has spouted off elsewhere.

the team that finished last season would beat the current team

GREEN

EDWORTHY FLEMING MACKAY DRURY

COOPER HOLT FRANCIS

-----------------------HUCKERBY

SVENSSON McKENZIE

simple as that

and meeky no need to be rude, and i have been a city fan for a decade or more now, i am under the impression you have only started going reguarly to games since cardiff

[quote]the team that finished last season would beat the current team GREEN EDWORTHY FLEMING MACKAY DRURY COOPER HOLT FRANCIS -----------------------HUCKERBY SVENSSON McKENZIE simple as that and meeky...[/quote]

Ha ha love it when some one accuses me of being a glory hunter! First game for me way back in 1972, long before you were an itch in daddies pants.

I know all about your history sunshine and it sure as hell doesn''t go back 10 years. Only about two years when a fellow City supporter invited you onto another message board even though you were a binner, and the said fellow City supporter ( who you met on holiday somewhere) thought you could be converted. Ever since then you have done nothing but cause trouble with your racist comments and bigoted views. I would suggest you get off the grown ups board and go and play in the traffic!