Sign in to follow this  
Mick Dennis

Late goals

Morning, Y''army. Back home in Herts late and went to bed. Now up to watch it all again on Sky+ but can I commend this to you all:

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/272407-Late-goal-watch-at-Norwich-City

Sorry to be a pseud, but Thomas Jefferson said: "I find that the harder I work the more luck I seem to have". With NCFC it is about the manager making positive changes and not settling for a point, about opposition teams wilting, eventually, under pressure and about players and crowd keeping the faith. See some of you at Hull -- and next season at Old Trafford, the Emirates etc.

I thought last night''s goals were relatively early.

I expected at least one more in injury time.

This late goal thing seems to have become a major talking point in football circles. It was continually mentioned on Sky last night. I know Man U. seemed to do it for a bit, but our exploits in this respect make their''s seem minute. Personally, I think more is being read into it than should be, but if it makes our opponents nervous in the dying minutes of a game, this is a good thing.

Two quotes: "Other supporters call it lucky, but an injury time goal is the same as a goal any other time." I think I read that on this Board.

"I expect Norwich to win (against Bristol City) with a goal by Grant Holt in the 17th. minute of injury time."  Amusing sarcasm from "Tractorboys."

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I thought last night''s goals were relatively early.

I expected at least one more in injury time.

This late goal thing seems to have become a major talking point in football circles. It was continually mentioned on Sky last night. I know Man U. seemed to do it for a bit, but our exploits in this respect make their''s seem minute. Personally, I think more is being read into it than should be, but if it makes our opponents nervous in the dying minutes of a game, this is a good thing.

Two quotes: "Other supporters call it lucky, but an injury time goal is the same as a goal any other time." I think I read that on this Board.

"I expect Norwich to win (against Bristol City) with a goal by Grant Holt in the 17th. minute of injury time."  Amusing sarcasm from "Tractorboys."

[/quote]

I went to Leicester last week with a friend who is a Leicester fan his comment as we went to are respective areas "if we''re drawing with 5 minutes to go I''ll be shipping my self" or something similar [:)] If this is the mind set of the fans this can only be passed on to the pitch surely.

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]Morning, Y''army. Back home in Herts late and went to bed. Now up to watch it all again on Sky+ but can I commend this to you all: http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/272407-Late-goal-watch-at-Norwich-City Sorry to be a pseud, but Thomas Jefferson said: "I find that the harder I work the more luck I seem to have". With NCFC it is about the manager making positive changes and not settling for a point, about opposition teams wilting, eventually, under pressure and about players and crowd keeping the faith. See some of you at Hull -- and next season at Old Trafford, the Emirates etc.[/quote]

Totally agree Mick. It really isnt rocket science that Lambo makes these substutions exclusively to score goals. Last night was unusal in that PL couldn''t pack his bench with attacking players, as he was down to the bones, but usually he has at least three attacking players ready to come on.  Sitting in our lofty perch in the Upper Barclay we predicted the "move Wes forward and play Henri in behind the two" change, and as if by magic......

Still so long as everyone lables us "lucky" then I''ll happily sit with the rest of the Canaries . Just under the RADAR... 

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]Morning, Y''army. Back home in Herts late and went to bed. Now up to watch it all again on Sky+ but can I commend this to you all: http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/272407-Late-goal-watch-at-Norwich-City Sorry to be a pseud, but Thomas Jefferson said: "I find that the harder I work the more luck I seem to have". With NCFC it is about the manager making positive changes and not settling for a point, about opposition teams wilting, eventually, under pressure and about players and crowd keeping the faith. See some of you at Hull -- and next season at Old Trafford, the Emirates etc.[/quote]

---

Dangerous for a journalist to quote Jefferson, who said sagely:

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it." 

You learn something new every day. I always thought it was Gary Player who said words to that effect. At least that''s what the sign at the entrance to the driving range I go to says. 

It''s not just the late goals but the pressing (from the front three in particular) which is so impressive. I doubt there is a fitter team in The Championship.

Our rather dim neighbours down the A140 have been '' a squeakin'' and a bleatin'' about this.

Perhaps someone could explain to them that under FIFA rules it is permissable to score anytime between the kick off and full time whilstle.

These are not extra minutes any more than a pint glass being topped up, after the head has settled, has extra beer in it.

These minutes are determined by minutes lost during the game - often as caused by timewasting such as Savage''s substitution yesterday

To score you need to be playing in the opponents half and preferably in their penalty box.

It might also help if you have players who can score - not just a tubby failure and a clumsy Honey Monster lookalike.

Perhaps the dimwits might wish to challenge next years Olympics and demand that any runner putting on a spurt in the last few yards is disqualified.

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]Morning, Y''army. Back home in Herts late and went to bed. Now up to watch it all again on Sky+ but can I commend this to you all:

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/272407-Late-goal-watch-at-Norwich-City

Sorry to be a pseud, but Thomas Jefferson said: "I find that the harder I work the more luck I seem to have". With NCFC it is about the manager making positive changes and not settling for a point, about opposition teams wilting, eventually, under pressure and about players and crowd keeping the faith. See some of you at Hull -- and next season at Old Trafford, the Emirates etc.[/quote]Take a look at post #22 on that thread from the Reading fan. Bitter much?[url=http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/272407-Late-goal-watch-at-Norwich-City?p=7017430&viewfull=1#post7017430]http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/272407-Late-goal-watch-at-Norwich-City?p=7017430&viewfull=1#post7017430[/url]