Sign in to follow this  
Smudge

Doherty going to Sheffield??

Sheffield UTD apparently want Doherty for £300,000 and for a player who was voted Spurs worst player of all time is this good business. The fact that we paid a million for him - absolute madness - means he will probably remain at City. Lets hope Worthy can arrange a swap deal with Michael Tonge.

I thought we paid £750 000 for him not a million. I would reject Sheffield United''s offer but if they raised it to £500 000 I think we should consider it and could be put with the money to buy a striker.

[quote]Sheffield UTD apparently want Doherty for £300,000 and for a player who was voted Spurs worst player of all time is this good business. The fact that we paid a million for him - absolute madness -...[/quote]

i don''t think doherty has been given a fair go with us - certainly not in the position he is suppposed to play in, is michael tonge still with sheff u?  if so, it would be a good swop, but i can''t see us getting anything like a million for anyone other than greeno

he said when he came to the club " I havnt come to play 1st division football"

does that answer your question?

I think you''ll find that we will only pay £750,000 if he makes a certain number of appearances.

At the moment we''ve only paid about £350,000.

[quote]i don''t think doherty has been given a fair go with us - certainly not in the position he is suppposed to play in, is michael tonge still with sheff u? if so, it would be a good swop, but i can''t see...[/quote]

you been on the real beer again then hucks, francis , eddie, greeno, mcv, bentley, & mullers are all worth at LEAST 1million each!

our diamond however is danny crow he is priceless

DD - it''s a new rule, to stop "feeder" clubs buying players for the future and having them looked after at another club.

I think.

But I''m not sure. I just remember reading when Michael Owen was "all set" to come back to England in Jan, it wasn''t possible.

[quote]he said when he came to the club " I havnt come to play 1st division football" does that answer your question?[/quote]

So I take it AJ, that IF we get relegated, he''ll bu**er off, will he?.

Personally I ain''t too bothered one way or the other, IMO Worthy only got him as a ''panic'' buy, after his main target fell through, who ever that was.

Save on a wage, trust in young Shackell, recoup a bit of the cash and go for someone more gifted I say.

[quote]So I take it AJ, that IF we get relegated, he''ll bu**er off, will he?. Personally I ain''t too bothered one way or the other, IMO Worthy only got him as a ''panic'' buy, after his main target fell throu...[/quote]

Exactly, he waited all summer for Linvoy and ended up with this lump. Oh well it''s not his money

[quote]Exactly, he waited all summer for Linvoy and ended up with this lump. Oh well it''s not his money[/quote]

I disagree to some extent Smudge. The money''s not his, I agree, BUT it is the club''s, who act I believe in/to our benefit, or have I got that totally wrong as usual.

I am concerned about this. And whilst I''m not in particular having a go at Worthy, if this deal did happen, I would be slightly annoyed from that aspect.

I suppose time will tell if this is just all ''paper talk'' (which I suspect to be the case) so we''ll just have to wait and see.

But I do agree with you when you say he''s a bit of a lump.

Has anybody actually seen Doherty play in his preferred position of centre back in a City shirt yet?

I know there were several posters at the reserves game against Arsenal in which Doherty featured at centre half, so what was he like?

Several posters seem quite happy to let the guy even though he''s not been given a chance to perform in his preferred position. That seems harsh in the extreme.

Doherty had a decent game last night, powerful header in the first half just wide. Marshaleld the youngers players, generally solid all round.

Shame the game was mind-numbing for the second half.

I think ''The Doc'' is a decent buy for the money and may come good. He''s not a striker and if he was bought for that purpose then that''s somebody else''s mistake. He''s a decent defender, still quite young and good to have in your team at set pieces. I was hoping Worthy would bring him on Saturday to combat the ariel threat. Thankfully Southampton were poor but we will get exploited from set pieces more often than not