Sign in to follow this  
Dom

HELVEG GOING??

Looks as if his patience (that he said he had when he arrived) has been tested....

Norwich City defender Thomas Helveg is being linked with a return to his home-town club Odense.

The Canaries pulled off a notable coup in the summer when persuading the Danish international to snub overtures from clubs around Europe in favour of a switch to Carrow Road.

Helveg was hailed by manager Nigel Worthington as one of the biggest signings in the club''s history, but he has failed to hold down a regular starting berth despite Norwich struggling at the wrong end of the table.

The defender has been urged to consider his options by Denmark coach Morten Olsen and it would appear as if there could be developments in the near future.

Helveg is negotiating the purchase of a house in his home town of Odense, which has fuelled speculation that he could be on the cusp of a transfer.

The 33-year-old stressed that the property purchase has no connection with his playing future, but he did hint that a move could be in the pipeline.

"That (house purchase) does not have anything to do with my football life," Helveg told Fyens Stiftstidende. "It''s a private matter.

"I don''t want to comment on anything until a move takes place."

Helveg said when he left Odense for Udinese in 1994 that he would love to bring the curtain down on his career with his home club.

Odense may not have the funds to finance a deal, so Norwich would likely have to release him on a free as well as Helveg taking a salary cut in order for a transfer to be concluded in January.

Well if everyone thinks he really IS worse than Edworthy then I guess it would free up some serious wages for January.I really hope he stays and shows the doubters though.

Looks like some good summer spending (not): Helveg back to Odense on a free, Doherty to Sheff Utd with a loss on the deal. That''ll give Doomcaster and co lots of confidence in another spending spree in Jan then won''t it?!

would have liked him to stay

i mean, he is an international, he just hasnt adapted like jonson, and he does look better coming foward but just dont look good as a right back, maybe a centre half? (like for denmark)

Hopefully if he does go, we can get some decent money for him

Well well done Worthy! If he does leave in January i am going to be so p****d off. BEST defender at Euro 2004, no matter what you say about Eddy being good, Helveg IS a better defender than him.

If only Worthington could see that ffs. I mean why won''t he give Helveg a PROPER chance (1 half (or less sometimes) every 3 or 4 weeks is NOT giving a player a chance. As much as i like Eddy, Helveg SHOULD be in that position week in week out.

Though i am kidding myself if i think it''s going to happen.

It may sound extremely cruel, but i think that the best thing is for Eddy to get an injury or something, something that puts him out for 3 or 4 games, thus giving Helveg a chance to prove himself there.

totally with you Phah.  I think Nigel and NCFC will look like a bit of a joke if we let the best defender in Euro 2004, that we got on a FREE, leave on a free having played less than 4 full games and none of them in the position he captains his country in.   It would be a total joke and really bad man management from Nigel in my opinion.

Symbolic of Worthington''s management style isn''t it? You would tend to think that a QUALITY international player would be at least a contender for the starting line up - I know that it is a real difficult toss up between that seasoned international Edworthy and the Scandinavian newcomer with hardly any experience...but I think that most teams would know who to play...!

How on earth can we judge this guy on what, 4 completely separate appearances. To let him go would be criminal and if we do, I fear for the club as it would appear (please let me be wrong here) that we are slipping back into the Chase era mindset of "we''re not good enough" to compete with the best...