Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Nelson over Askou??

I know Askou has been injured, but would Nelson still be selected over him if they were both fit?

After seeing them both play, I certainly prefer a Doc/Askou partnership.

I cant see this happening now, with 4 games left its just to late (I think) to start changing the team

for the same reason I dont think Spillane will get the nod over Martin this season - even though I do rate him higher.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I know Askou has been injured, but would Nelson still be selected over him if they were both fit? After seeing them both play, I certainly prefer a Doc/Askou partnership.[/quote]

Askou and Nelson are pretty similar in style. Players who compete well for the ball but can''t do a lot with it.

I think Nelson has shown himself to be a little bit better since he came into the side.

At least twice in 10 mins tonight, Chris Goreham was quoted as saying something like, "oh and that''s an awful sliced clearance from Nelson!" putting us under pressure.

I too think that Askou is top notch at this level and think we''re starting to miss him terribly.

The only change I would consider to the back four would be Doherty. I am not advocating dropping him but actually moving him into attack. We finally started worrying them once that happened and it gave us a physical prescene up front. Then one of Whitbread, Askou or Spillane depending on fitness could slot in at the back. 

Nelson looked pretty solid last night to be honest, certainly not one of the worse players.

[quote user="Marty"]Nelson looked pretty solid last night to be honest, certainly not one of the worse players.
[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. Nelson was excellent in the air last night, and was our best defender by some distance. He certainly wasn''t the problem.

Agree Northern- Nelson is solid and to his credit he''s got in some goal saving last ditch blocks (it''s not often you see a central defender bring out the scissor kicks as frequently as he does either!) BUT his distribution is woeful. He does not look comfortable on the ball at all. Oddly enough, a couple of mates and I think Russell Martin looked best when he was at centre back for a game. Bring back Spillane.

[quote user="Marty"]Nelson looked pretty solid last night to be honest, certainly not one of the worse players.[/quote]I disagree, I thought he was shocking.  But overall he''s been really solid since the Southampton game where he was poor, barely putting a foot wrong.  But some people just cannot wait to get on his back and want him dropped.