Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Not too impressive today

Playing 80 minutes with 10 men the day before yesterday might have had some bearing on todays game to be honest.

[quote user="Depraved"]Playing 80 minutes with 10 men the day before yesterday might have had some bearing on todays game to be honest.[/quote]Nope not in my view seeing as Whitbread was the cause for so much of the poor play.. and the following players didn''t play for more than 45 on Friday:McnameeMartinWhitbreadSmithLappinAnd Holt, Drury, Russell, and Nelson all played well today.

[quote user="Depraved"]Playing 80 minutes with 10 men the day before yesterday might have had some bearing on todays game to be honest.[/quote]We played Friday not Saturday. Stockport had less rest than we did.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Depraved"]Playing 80 minutes with 10 men the day before yesterday might have had some bearing on todays game to be honest.[/quote]
We played Friday not Saturday. Stockport had less rest than we did.
[/quote]

yup my mistake. And as for Zak, he''s not had a game for a long time (since the Brentford I think) so would it be fair to say he did ok for purely that reason? Russell Martin had a worse game imo, but a win is still a win so very happy.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="Depraved"]Playing 80 minutes with 10 men the day before yesterday might have had some bearing on todays game to be honest.[/quote]

Nope not in my view seeing as Whitbread was the cause for so much of the poor play.. and the following players didn''t play for more than 45 on Friday:

Mcnamee
Martin
Whitbread
Smith
Lappin

And Holt, Drury, Russell, and Nelson all played well today.

[/quote]

Bingo, spot on.

Also if you think about it there was 3 goaline clearances so if they all went in, on another day it would have been 5-1 and everyone would be saying we are so good because we played poorly but still thrashed a team 5-1.

The bottom line is that no matter who you are, or how good you are, you cannot produce fantastic performances game in game out for an entire season. Even the greatest, most talented teams often go through sticky patches over several weeks or games. What''s more, it''s always tougher to perform to the highlest level as the season gets near the end & virtually every team has something to fight for. However, the important thing at this time of the year is to make sure you win more games than your nearest rivals, even if that means it''s a scrapy unconvincing performance against the bottom Club. Winning, especially when you''re in our position and with only a few games to go, is everything. In fact, I''d settle for another 6 "not too impressive" performances as long as we win 3 of them. 

We should have done much better today, but in the end it''s the points that matters the most, not the performance. I know that a good performance is usually required to get the points, but the main thing about today was that we won, edged closer to promotion and also secured a playoff spot at the very least.

[quote user="Making Plans"]The bottom line is that no matter who you are, or how good you are, you cannot produce fantastic performances game in game out for an entire season. Even the greatest, most talented teams often go through sticky patches over several weeks or games. What''s more, it''s always tougher to perform to the highlest level as the season gets near the end & virtually every team has something to fight for. However, the important thing at this time of the year is to make sure you win more games than your nearest rivals, even if that means it''s a scrapy unconvincing performance against the bottom Club. Winning, especially when you''re in our position and with only a few games to go, is everything. In fact, I''d settle for another 6 "not too impressive" performances as long as we win 3 of them. [/quote]

I agree with the sentiment, but yesterday this wasn''t the case. Whitbread looked way out of his depth had absolutely no confidence going forward and always passed the ball negatively, when he didn''t he just booted it randomly forward.. whether it was poor accuracy or just a boot either way it was poor.Nelson was much better in the second half.. fortunately so because his usual style of clearing at all costs almost cost us dearly in the first half with him giving the ball away with quick clearances when he had plenty of time.