Sign in to follow this  
smooth

5 centre halves

And for god sake can someone at Archant sort out he board to work with Chrome properly.

Arrrghh - looks so awful.

p.s. i woke up with a headache this morning :( !

The Doc is one of our very best performers!

Nelson is doing well in League One, but might find the Championship a stretch too far?

Doc is well worth Championship wages surely?

[quote user="kentcanary"]Interesting point.I do wonder if the back 4 next season will be Spillane, Askou, Whitbread, Drury.None of these played last saturday. The defense still concerns me and has been helped out by Forster and poor finishing in recent games.If we are in the Championship we will be punished.At the moment a team on a run like ours is not going to be changed much.[/quote]

Very well said!  [Y]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Not sure Spillane is ready to play centre half, he''s not the biggest physically and as a 20 year he is still learning the game, at present his best position is right back.

Doherty has been our best centre half this season barring the opening day of the season where just about everybody on the pitch didn''t perform and I would say Nelson struggled more so that day, however Doherty is surely 1 of the clubs highest earners and i''m sure his contract situation will be reviewed at the end of the season, would be a real shame if he was to go because as i''ve said he is our best centre half.

If anybody was to go it would be Michael Nelson, he has done a very good job over the past 2 months but his lack of pace, particularly acceleration and his non existent distribution will really get punished in the Championship, there has been a few signs in recent games, the Walsall goal last week was dreadful defending, he firstly misjudged the bounce and then was woefully done for pace by Deeney who isn''t lightning quick. Doherty, Askou, Whitbread and then Spillane for cover would be sufficient and covers all bases next season in my opinion.

[/quote]

Is that why Doherty has played in 3 of our 4 league defeats so far this season and has been looking to chalk up a 4th alongside Nelson in recent weeks? [:^)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Not sure Spillane is ready to play centre half, he''s not the biggest physically and as a 20 year he is still learning the game, at present his best position is right back. Doherty has been our best centre half this season barring the opening day of the season where just about everybody on the pitch didn''t perform and I would say Nelson struggled more so that day, however Doherty is surely 1 of the clubs highest earners and i''m sure his contract situation will be reviewed at the end of the season, would be a real shame if he was to go because as i''ve said he is our best centre half.If anybody was to go it would be Michael Nelson, he has done a very good job over the past 2 months but his lack of pace, particularly acceleration and his non existent distribution will really get punished in the Championship, there has been a few signs in recent games, the Walsall goal last week was dreadful defending, he firstly misjudged the bounce and then was woefully done for pace by Deeney who isn''t lightning quick. Doherty, Askou, Whitbread and then Spillane for cover would be sufficient and covers all bases next season in my opinion.[/quote]

Is that why Doherty has played in 3 of our 4 league defeats so far this season and has been looking to chalk up a 4th alongside Nelson in recent weeks? [:^)]

[/quote]You''ve said this a few times now. Are you seriously suggesting that he was responsible for 2 defeats that occurred before Lambert took charge, under the hopeless Gunn and Butterworth, and then the defeat at Leeds? Don''t abuse statistics. You should know better. Saying he is singularly responsible for 3 of our 4 defeats this season is disingenuous as best and absolutely moronic at worst. And the thing is, I think you know you''re doing it. You''re using dodgy statistics to reinforce this opinion you have of the Doc, an opinion I accept but disagree with. If you want to make your point, actually make it - don''t hide behind "he was in 3 of our 4 losing teams this year" and pretend it actually means something. Correlation does not equal causation. You know this. Don''t pretend otherwise.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="a1canary"]granted gjp, there''s a bit of a leap of faith there with whitbread but i''m going on PLs judgement. as for askou, i''ve seen all 3 of nelson, doc and askou and it''s clear to me the latter is a class above the other two, even if doc is still capable of being effective at champ level. maybe nelson can be but he''s untested and they are both too similar anyway. we need a bit of culture in there!! askou provides it in my view and from what i''ve heard whitbread is supposed to be good and calm on the ball too. so, that''s my rationale for the original assumption!![/quote]

Personally, from what I''ve seen of Nelson now I wouldn''t pick Askou ahead of him and certainly not ahead of Doc.

Doc is a better defender and far better with the ball than either of them.

Whitbread... we''ll have to wait and see.

[/quote]

Then thank god you are not manager, because our stay in the Championship would be one hell of a breif one (and no I ain''t talking about promotion or play-offs).

The Doc ain''t good enough for the Championship as proven over many years and Nelson is even worse.  Opposition strikers will be rubbing their hands in glee if we ever pair them together at a higher level.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="a1canary"]granted gjp, there''s a bit of a leap of faith there with whitbread but i''m going on PLs judgement. as for askou, i''ve seen all 3 of nelson, doc and askou and it''s clear to me the latter is a class above the other two, even if doc is still capable of being effective at champ level. maybe nelson can be but he''s untested and they are both too similar anyway. we need a bit of culture in there!! askou provides it in my view and from what i''ve heard whitbread is supposed to be good and calm on the ball too. so, that''s my rationale for the original assumption!![/quote]

Personally, from what I''ve seen of Nelson now I wouldn''t pick Askou ahead of him and certainly not ahead of Doc.

Doc is a better defender and far better with the ball than either of them.

Whitbread... we''ll have to wait and see.

[/quote]

Then thank god you are not manager, because our stay in the Championship would be one hell of a breif one (and no I ain''t talking about promotion or play-offs).

The Doc ain''t good enough for the Championship as proven over many years and Nelson is even worse.  Opposition strikers will be rubbing their hands in glee if we ever pair them together at a higher level.

[/quote]

Judging by your comments about Spillane on the other thread I''d happily say the same about you.

As always, time will tell.

[quote user="Allez17"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Not sure Spillane is ready to play centre half, he''s not the biggest physically and as a 20 year he is still learning the game, at present his best position is right back.

Doherty has been our best centre half this season barring the opening day of the season where just about everybody on the pitch didn''t perform and I would say Nelson struggled more so that day, however Doherty is surely 1 of the clubs highest earners and i''m sure his contract situation will be reviewed at the end of the season, would be a real shame if he was to go because as i''ve said he is our best centre half.

If anybody was to go it would be Michael Nelson, he has done a very good job over the past 2 months but his lack of pace, particularly acceleration and his non existent distribution will really get punished in the Championship, there has been a few signs in recent games, the Walsall goal last week was dreadful defending, he firstly misjudged the bounce and then was woefully done for pace by Deeney who isn''t lightning quick. Doherty, Askou, Whitbread and then Spillane for cover would be sufficient and covers all bases next season in my opinion.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''ve said this a few times now. Are you seriously suggesting that he was responsible for 2 defeats that occurred before Lambert took charge, under the hopeless Gunn and Butterworth, and then the defeat at Leeds?

Don''t abuse statistics. You should know better. Saying he is singularly responsible for 3 of our 4 defeats this season is disingenuous as best and absolutely moronic at worst. And the thing is, I think you know you''re doing it. You''re using dodgy statistics to reinforce this opinion you have of the Doc, an opinion I accept but disagree with. If you want to make your point, actually make it - don''t hide behind "he was in 3 of our 4 losing teams this year" and pretend it actually means something.

Correlation does not equal causation. You know this. Don''t pretend otherwise.
[/quote]

Who said he was singularly responsible?  I am no more pointing the finger at the Doc than others have at Spillane, Nelson and Askou.

Yes I am seriously suggesting that he played as big a part as anybody else in the two defeats mentioned and also in the game at Leeds where the clumsy oaf could not handle the pace of Beckford and Gradel.

Mark my words if either of Doherty or Nelson play more than a handful of games for us at Championship level against better quality strikers then we will struggle!

A new centre half would be top of my shopping list upon promotion if I were Lambert, followed by a tough tackling left footed midfielder with a bit of creativity (lets hope that Leeds stay down because somebody like Gary McSheffrey would of been ideal) and a right winger with a bit of pace then seeing if I could renew the loan of Fraser Forster for another year.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]Well Drury has played in all 4 defeats so we better get rid of him first yeah?[/quote]

Maybe Lambert already has?

I know that Drury is carrying an injury, but some on here would have you believe that he is no longer first choice and Rose is.  Maybe he is until we lose again anyhow???

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="smooth"]spillane, askou, nelson, whitbread and the doc

the doc''s contract up this summer... it is then when we will look at contracts

surely askou and nelson are on two year contracts at least, spillane I am not sure but think he resigned last summer. Whitbread just signed

would you offer the doc another contract, when that weekly wage can be redirected to a new player... where we do not have five players going for two positions... goalie for example

I would have whitbread and askou as my starters next year with nelson and spillane as cover... we do have spillane who can play right back, but do we think we can afford these five even if we did go up?[/quote]

the Doc has found his level in this league! he wont be good enough for the championship![/quote]Totally agree. Doc is great at this level, if we stay in this league... keep, if we dont, get rid. He''s not good enough for the Championship.