Sign in to follow this  
C A

Want Helveg To Fail?

Are some Norwich fans desperate to see Thomas Helveg be unsuccesful at Norwich? Following Saturday''s superb victory in which there were many fine individual performances, some people still chose to be critical of Helveg''s performance. I thought the performance he gave on Saturday was as influential as any Norwich player has given in a long time, and the roles played by Safri and Helveg allowed us to get the best out of a very talented Bentley. Helveg maybe hasn''t given Norwich fans what they expected so far this season, but he has shown a lot of quality when on the ball. He has been kept out of his usual right-back slot by the excellent Edworthy, but he must be given a regular starting place somewhere in the side.

What we saw from Helveg on Saturday was simply pure defensive class. His passing remained a bit hit and miss but his reading of the game and positional sense meant that Okocha was a non entity and their midfield ineffective.Despite playing in midfield he showed that he is the one player who really understands the art of defence in the city squad.OTBC

Completely agree Zipper. He was always there in the middle, wanting the ball and, more importantly, in space most of the time. Yes he tried a few one touch passes that didn''t come off but he was pretty darn good. You don''t become Danish captain and spend ten years in Milan without being a little bit better than yer average Sunday afternoon player (well, those not on Sky anyway!). The pace is completely different out there compared to here. Of the two, he shone more than Safri on Saturday so, assuming Francis is a given when fit, the two would make a tough midfield. It also raises the question as to whether we would then need the creative player (Safri/Mulryne) as our reading of the game would be better.

I for one would love to see him succeed (and Jonson for that matter, who looks suspiciously like Melberg)

I have to say i havent been impressed with Helveg up till Saturday, but i thought his influence v Bolton was massive. We played some of the best passing football since Europe and alot of that was down to Helvegs calmness,assurance and organisation.

At times Helvegs,Safris+ Bentleys play was just too clever for a decent Bolton midfield, and i dont think they would have had the confidence to play that way without Helvegs experienced influence. Unfortunately some people just want to focus on about 3 risky passes which went astray in the second half rather than see the bigger picture......

He is at last getting used to the pace of it all, had a willing and like-minded foil in Safri on Saturday, and although it might well have been injuries that made it happen hopefully he''s in and can carry on influencing the way he so clearly did last sat

I think everyone wants to see Helveg succeed here. Without a doubt he was our highest profile signing ahead of bentley, and i think pople expected too much of him. Now obviously he has been playing at the highest level in serie A and for denmark for the most part of the last decade, so there''s no doubt that he is a class player, but he needed time to adapt to the fast paced english game. And judging by his performance on saturday, he may well have started to settle into life in the premiership.

Made one of the so-called stars of the Premiership look distinctly average and produced one of the finest tackles I''ve seen at Carrow Road. It was only a matter of time before our Dane showed his greatness...

[quote]Made one of the so-called stars of the Premiership look distinctly average and produced one of the finest tackles I''ve seen at Carrow Road. It was only a matter of time before our Dane showed his grea...[/quote]

Peter: You failed to mention that the words ''fail'' and ''failure'', doesn''t exist in the Thomas dictionary!!.

Keep the HELVEG faith everybody.

I noticed that tackle Pete...the one where he whipped the ball off Jay-Jay in front of the Jarrold Stand, just like taking candy from a baby.  Great to see.

"Thomas the DANSK ENGINE!"  

I rate the bloke, and from what I witnessed from the sleepy hollow of the City Stand on Saturday, I couldn''t see or hear anyone giving him a negative moan, groan, or derogatory comment. Maybe, because they were all wrapped up, all comfy and snugly, in their quilted blankets, cloth caps, furry hats, chunky woolly scarves and stale urine ridden thermal underwear.Listening to Radio 4 & supping on expectorant, coupled with the aromatic stench of ''extra strong'' cough sweeties, wafting around my immediate area, with the occasional reverberating deep throated snoring, distracting my attention from the action on the pitch. BUT! of my fellow fickle fan''s, (of those that were awake) were all captivated by the team''s enigmatic display, and that of the demigod "Thomas the DANSK ENGINE!"  

In fairness to his doubter''s, I readily admit he had a poor start, and didn''t look anything like the Captain of his national side. Although I personally think that he is now one of the essential pieces of vertebrae, in the spine of this improving squad. He has an excellent footballing brain, tackles well, and his distribution is well above average, (given one or two blip''s on Saturday) but I forgive him for that. (Other players passes were occasionally wayward!) no names though...

Those critic''s of the "DANSK ENGINE!" are well entitled to their opinion, but I see him differently and think he''s quality! and I "FAIL" to see why people have written him off!  

Anyway, OTBC and all that..... ;~)