Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Oli Johnson

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Allez17"]It''ll take a lot to displace Holt or Martin, but Oli was clearly signed to be the next in line, and he''ll do well there. Keep lazy boy Martin on his toes.
[/quote]

Chris Martin isn''t lazy but he is the least hard working.

[/quote]

For my money, he works as hard as anyone else - people just seem to have some pre-concieved opinions about him.

It''s pretty clear Lambert would not stand for laziness.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Allez17"]It''ll take a lot to displace Holt or Martin, but Oli was clearly signed to be the next in line, and he''ll do well there. Keep lazy boy Martin on his toes.
[/quote]

[/quote]

For my money, he works as hard as anyone else - people just seem to have some pre-concieved opinions about him.

[/quote]

Pre-conceived opinions? Like what?

Would you say Chris Martin puts in the work Holt and Hoolahan do?

Today, I thought Chris Martin put in a good shift. Better than usual, maybe the latest pressure for his place egged him on, but I thought he chased down well today. I was impressed

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe not but how many strikers do you see work as hard as them too? Most strikers come across as lazy but to be honest if your going to slag the boy week in week out when he is 21 and has scored 14 goals he isn''t ever going to impress you is he?

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe not but how many strikers do you see work as hard as them too? Most strikers come across as lazy but to be honest if your going to slag the boy week in week out when he is 21 and has scored 14 goals he isn''t ever going to impress you is he?

[/quote]

See this is it, it''s almost as if people take it personally. I''m not slagging the boy. As I''ve said on here (countless times) I''ve liked Chris Martin as a player since I saw him play as a youngster. He''s got talent.

But I''m not going to sit here saying "he worked his socks off" etc etc when he hasn''t.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Allez17"]It''ll take a lot to displace Holt or Martin, but Oli was clearly signed to be the next in line, and he''ll do well there. Keep lazy boy Martin on his toes. [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

See this is it, it''s almost as if people take it personally. I''m not slagging the boy. As I''ve said on here (countless times) I''ve liked Chris Martin as a player since I saw him play as a youngster. He''s got talent.

But I''m not going to sit here saying "he worked his socks off" etc etc when he hasn''t.

[/quote]For my mind, I don''t want him running his socks off ala Holt.  Getting into position 3 yards from goal to sidefoot in an easy chance is just as important as chasing down every loose ball, every tired defender.  If all the front 3/4 were doing that we''d never have anyone to poach those loose balls and knock in those cute crosses along the 6 yard box. 14 goals is not to be sniffed at; Mr. Martin has really done his bit where it counts.

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="AVFC-NCFC"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For my mind, I don''t want him running his socks off ala Holt.  Getting into position 3 yards from goal to sidefoot in an easy chance is just as important as chasing down every loose ball, every tired defender.  If all the front 3/4 were doing that we''d never have anyone to poach those loose balls and knock in those cute crosses along the 6 yard box. 14 goals is not to be sniffed at; Mr. Martin has really done his bit where it counts.
[/quote]

Yup, fair comment.

I''m not necessarily criticising Chris Martin. I''m just not going to praise him up for an area of his game that isn''t his strongest.

As it goes I think there could be more to come from Chris Martin but sometimes it''s like you''re a bad person for suggesting any of our academy products are less than perfect.

[quote]

Yup, fair comment.

I''m not necessarily criticising Chris Martin. I''m just not going to praise him up for an area of his game that isn''t his strongest.

As it goes I think there could be more to come from Chris Martin but sometimes it''s like you''re a bad person for suggesting any of our academy products are less than perfect.

[/quote]Haha, absolutely right.  They''re football players, same as everyone else who comes through our doors and gets paid their wages.  If they deserve a punt up the bumhole, they should get one.I do agree re: Martin, for what it''s worth - I think Martin could be the real deal if he just introduces a tad more dynamism to his game.  Like I say, I don''t want him charging about like a nutcase - a full-on poacher is a rarity in the modern game, especially one so young and with such strength;  but if he could get a touch more flexibility in his positioning and running he could be a complete striker, Shearer-esque (albeit at League One/Championship level).  He''s got it all there, and I''m sure a big part of his performances this season has been down to following tactics from the management team, but yeah, there is surely another level to his game to come to the fore.

Suppose your right, maybe Martin and Holt should chase down ball and cross them into an empty box. There are more strikers like Martin than Holt. Not saying your the person moaning at Chris all the time it just seems like everyone wants to have a pop and i can''t see what he is doing wrong. I''m sure Defoe isn''t like Holt.