Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Where are the Colchester fans tonight?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]Who cares about a poxy little club like Col U anyway - they only have about six fans? Always crap on the old blue and white![/quote]

I cannot imagine any Colchester fan being seriously hurt by jibes about a small club.  We are what we are and I think the core supporters are pretty okay with that just as Norwich supporters are pretty okay with being a big club.

For the record (and as a feed to the EDP because the EADT will probably have missed it) here is what Steve (our CEO) had to say on the record  tonight  on our radio programme about the "Norwich situation":

"The presenter asked him if he could say anything about the Norwich "situation" and here is what he said: "Yes, we''ve no secrets about it. We have recently gone to the Football League on four counts - three of breaking contracts with no kind of notice and an improper approach by Norwich City. I have no personal argument with Norwich but I think they made two terrible mistakes although no doubt they do not think that what they did was wrong. The second mistake was in thinking that we were just going to roll over and accept it. We have tried to have informal meetings over the matter but we are miles apart. There will now be hearing in January although no date has been finalised when we would hope to get damages and a possible points deduction. We don''t want to lose our relationship with Norwich but something is very clearly wrong and needs to be redressed." Asked if he thought the tribunal hearing might be in the same week as the home game v Norwich, Steve said: "I don''t think the Football League will let that happen." The guess seemed to be that any hearing would be on a date after that game, possibly the following week.

[/quote]Cam, I may be quite wrong about this, because I certainly haven''t read everything Cowling has said on the subject, but that is the first time I''ve seen him allege tapping up.All the previous statements and comments I saw were to the effect that some kind of penalty should be imposed because Lambert and the others left before Colchester and Norwich had agreed a compensation package. Not that there was an improper initial approach.For example, the Gazette article by Jonathan Waldron, dated November 23, with lengthy quotes from Cowling, makes no mention of tapping up.Of course if that is one of the allegations then it would explain why he has been talking about a possible points penatly as well as or instead of a financial one.

Embarrassing correction. Of course those latest comments are from the Colchester CEO rather than Cowling, but the point remains. This is the first time I''ve seen a Colchester spokesman talk about tapping up...

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]COURSE WE STOLE HIM!!! WAKEY WAKEY[/quote]Quite possibly, but my point was that they seem never to have alleged that, until now.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Pablo Picarsole"]Who cares about a poxy little club like Col U anyway - they only have about six fans? Always crap on the old blue and white![/quote]

I cannot imagine any Colchester fan being seriously hurt by jibes about a small club.  We are what we are and I think the core supporters are pretty okay with that just as Norwich supporters are pretty okay with being a big club.

For the record (and as a feed to the EDP because the EADT will probably have missed it) here is what Steve (our CEO) had to say on the record  tonight  on our radio programme about the "Norwich situation":

"The presenter asked him if he could say anything about the Norwich "situation" and here is what he said: "Yes, we''ve no secrets about it. We have recently gone to the Football League on four counts - three of breaking contracts with no kind of notice and an improper approach by Norwich City. I have no personal argument with Norwich but I think they made two terrible mistakes although no doubt they do not think that what they did was wrong. The second mistake was in thinking that we were just going to roll over and accept it. We have tried to have informal meetings over the matter but we are miles apart. There will now be hearing in January although no date has been finalised when we would hope to get damages and a possible points deduction. We don''t want to lose our relationship with Norwich but something is very clearly wrong and needs to be redressed." Asked if he thought the tribunal hearing might be in the same week as the home game v Norwich, Steve said: "I don''t think the Football League will let that happen." The guess seemed to be that any hearing would be on a date after that game, possibly the following week.

[/quote]

Cam, I may be quite wrong about this, because I certainly haven''t read everything Cowling has said on the subject, but that is the first time I''ve seen him allege tapping up.

All the previous statements and comments I saw were to the effect that some kind of penalty should be imposed because Lambert and the others left before Colchester and Norwich had agreed a compensation package. Not that there was an improper initial approach.

For example, the Gazette article by Jonathan Waldron, dated November 23, with lengthy quotes from Cowling, makes no mention of tapping up.

Of course if that is one of the allegations then it would explain why he has been talking about a possible points penatly as well as or instead of a financial one.[/quote]

The crunch (I think) is when you rang up the Colchester owner and asked to appoint someone as Manager without, of course,  having spoken to him first.

What do you think.[:|]

Cam, I would, of course, think that was very suspicious! Although I

would also think it only qualified as suspicious and not proof.

But am I right to think this is the first time a Colchester spokesman has mentioned tapping up as one of the formal allegations?

[quote user="cufcone"]I think everyone knows Lambert was tapped up but it will never be proved..[/quote]

Of course it won''t and as such your club/representatives will look even more daft by pursuing it. I am sorry to say this but your chairman has been an absolute embarrassment throughout this soap opera. In a previous attempt I likened it to players waving the imaginary yellow card to get players punished. I also tried to get Cams personal views on how he felt about your chairmans behaviour but as a hack he only does made up nonsense, feelings don''t come into it!

I have said on a previous post on here that i don''t agree with a points reduction but we are due some form of compensation and even your club agrees but the two clubs can''t agree on how much.. As for our Chairman,i think what has p**sed him off and i must say i agree with him is he put alot of faith in Lambert and spent a hell of alot of money (for a tinpot,s**tty little village club with no fans) in the summer on players Lambert wanted for him to then walk out after two games to join what is obviously such a massive club that is playing in a league that is so far beneath them....Also if Lambert wasn''t tapped up don''t you find it an embarrassment that your club wanted to offer the job of manager which is the most important job at a football club to someone without even having an interview.......

The thing is that it was McNally offering him the job & he already knows him well from his Celtic days. So therefore he didn''t feel he needed to interview him as he already knows his personality etc & his record speaks for itself. What differencec would an interview make?

[quote user="Bruc Header"]The thing is that it was McNally offering him the job & he already knows him well from his Celtic days. So therefore he didn''t feel he needed to interview him as he already knows his personality etc & his record speaks for itself. What differencec would an interview make?[/quote]

Good call I''m sure they have that story standing by.

I don''t have a problem with Colchester Utd, nor their fans. I''m sure we would feel aggrieved if the role was reversed...

But, I do hope we whup their a$$es when we play them at their gaff.....