Sign in to follow this  
Puzzy magnet

Birmingham City's crowds

There has been lots of thumb-sucking on here recently about how Gold and Sullivan''s ticket price hikes affected Birmingham''s attendances. It has been given as a reason for why we would not want them here.

And indeed, Birmingham fans like to create the impression their poor support is down to ticket prices. As a gesture, Yueng slashed the prices for yesterday''s game with Man City. The crowd was 21k, including 2-3k from Man City.

Perhaps Birmingham just aren''t a well-supported club in any case...

I went there last season when we played them away and honestly they were some of the worst supporters i have ever seen. Just no singing what so ever and they just diddnt seem to be doing anything to try and get behind their team

now i may be wrong here but i have a point about this lol. Birmingham is surrounded by football clubs, Villa, Wolves, Leicester, Coventry to name a few, whereas we have ipswich about 40 miles away and in a different county. Surely this would have some baring on the crowds? these other clubs have been quite big in there day (i don''t really know much of Birmingham''s history) so surely they have drawn in more fans over the years?

[quote user="followtheboyzinyellow"]Think you do need to take into account that Birmingham has a population 10 times that of Norwich[/quote]yeah i know it does but Norfolk on a whole doesn''t have another big club like us, yeah ok you have got your clubs like Lynn but not exactly the same as city

Now you just knew I would answer this one, As I am from Redditch,and my Family go to St Andrews as S T holders, I must tell you how I became a Norwich fan, I was about 7 or 8 when my brothers took me to St Andrews the Blues were playing Norwich,my brothers were all excited about it, We stood in the Tilton road end right behind the goal, I remember seeing loads of empty spaces everywhere, they are the type of fans who only attend when the weather suits and the results are good, Oh and that day they lost 3-0 my brothers asked if I enjoyed the match, I asked when do the other team comeback here because I want to support them, AND HAVE DONE EVER SINCE ,

So in answer to the question, No B-ham have never attracted big crowds not even when Villa came and its still the same today as per yesterday, my brother told me that last season they were offering every season ticket holder up to 5 guests for a £5 each, never worked either, I was for ever telling them about our D/D scheme, which he says they put the idea to Sullivan and co who turned it down as a none starter, but that is another story

[quote user="pete_norw"]Now you just knew I would answer this one, As I am from Redditch,and my Family go to St Andrews as S T holders, I must tell you how I became a Norwich fan, I was about 7 or 8 when my brothers took me to St Andrews the Blues were playing Norwich,my brothers were all excited about it, We stood in the Tilton road end right behind the goal, I remember seeing loads of empty spaces everywhere, they are the type of fans who only attend when the weather suits and the results are good, Oh and that day they lost 3-0 my brothers asked if I enjoyed the match, I asked when do the other team comeback here because I want to support them, AND HAVE DONE EVER SINCE , So in answer to the question, No B-ham have never attracted big crowds not even when Villa came and its still the same today as per yesterday, my brother told me that last season they were offering every season ticket holder up to 5 guests for a £5 each, never worked either, I was for ever telling them about our D/D scheme, which he says they put the idea to Sullivan and co who turned it down as a none starter, but that is another story[/quote]

Birmingham are not, and never have been, a big club. Big city, but not a big club.

[quote user="followtheboyzinyellow"]Think you do need to take into account that Birmingham has a population 10 times that of Norwich[/quote]

The Birmingham area has a population of 3 million and has 6 clubs (it includes Coventry).  Norwich get most of our support from Norfolk and N.Suffolk which has a population of over 1 million (Norfolk is 850k) and no other clubs.  I know who`s position i`d rather be in.

Well if you had the choice between watching the likes of Ashley Young, Agbonlohor at Villa or Birmingham City I know which i''d choose, City fans who live round this way don''t really have that option which greatly boosts our attendances.

In the West Midlands Wolves, Villa, WBA and Walsall are all within a few miles of each other.

I was living in Dudley last season and the Wolves fans were having a great time at the top of the Championship whilst the WBA fans were getting relegated. This year expect the roles to be reversed. However I don''t recall anyone at work supporting Villa or Birmingham, they really are extremely localised fans there.

Catchment area for clubs = within 3 miles maybe because they''re spoilt for choice unlike us where the whole county and beyond come to Norwich. Apologies to King''s Lynn (my home town).

[quote user="Dave Backham"]

In the West Midlands Wolves, Villa, WBA and Walsall are all within a few miles of each other.

I was living in Dudley last season and the Wolves fans were having a great time at the top of the Championship whilst the WBA fans were getting relegated. This year expect the roles to be reversed. However I don''t recall anyone at work supporting Villa or Birmingham, they really are extremely localised fans there.

Catchment area for clubs = within 3 miles maybe because they''re spoilt for choice unlike us where the whole county and beyond come to Norwich. Apologies to King''s Lynn (my home town).

[/quote]see this is the point i am trying to make lol [:)]

[quote user="Puzzy magnet "]

There has been lots of thumb-sucking on here recently about how Gold and Sullivan''s ticket price hikes affected Birmingham''s attendances. It has been given as a reason for why we would not want them here.

And indeed, Birmingham fans like to create the impression their poor support is down to ticket prices. As a gesture, Yueng slashed the prices for yesterday''s game with Man City. The crowd was 21k, including 2-3k from Man City.

Perhaps Birmingham just aren''t a well-supported club in any case...

[/quote]

So if we are fortunate to get promotion with our current board....Do you think our season ticket prices will remain the same?

I don''t.....