Sign in to follow this  
Frank

Why was Lambert preferable to Boothroyd?

I think why you think I won''t have a word said against Worthy is because my opinion hasn''t changed since that post I made in 2006 while others have been hopping from scapegoat to scapegoat like they are going out of fashion. I''m willing to debate those points you made here and you won''t be surprised to know that I don''t wholly agree with them.

Worthy had a huge stroke of good fortune when he took over because although much is made about the poor players he inherited from Hamilton, a very good spine in Green Fleming, MacKay, Mulryne and Roberts were already here. Iwan was a hero of mine, right from when he was first here I thought he brought a presence to the team even when he wasn''t fit. He got fit, gave us great service and kept himself fit and is a real legend. Had we have won that play off final in 2002 he would have been an asset in the Prem for us. But unfortunately for us and him his career ended as we won the Championship. It really was the end, no way would he have been an asset off the bench the following season. I would have loved him to have been but he couldn''t even do it for Gillingham. He went on loan to Cambridge and hung up his boots for good.

Malky asked to go. Worthy couldn''t promise Malky regular first team football so Malky got himself a move to West Ham. As I understand it Worthy would have happily kept Malky and he would undoubtedly have played some games but Malky considered at that stage of his career he would be better off with regular first team football. The same thing happened the next year with West ham and Malky went to Watford. I salute Malky for that and he certainly made the right decisions both for himself and the clubs he joined. Too many players are happy to remain in the fringes of Premiership squads, drawing their wages but playing little football.

We needed to replace Iwan, Worthy knew this but wasn''t backed to do so. But where he was at fault was in not replacing Malky. I think Worthy was convinced Linvoy Primus was coming from Portsmouth and was let down. I also think Primus would have been a great signing.

Playing Holt in the Prem? That''s considered a mistake because when Safri finally got a run we won games. But there was other facters at play then and it''s simplistic to assume replacing Holt changed our fortunes. It was the signing of Ashton that changed our fortunes. Up until then Huckerby was our only real match winner and we were pretty toothless up front. Maybe it was a mistake not to get Safri in the side more often but the rumour was he wasn''t fit. But anyway, with Gary Holt it wasn''t always what he did for the side but what his presence allowed others to do. It''s never mentioned but Mulryne played in that famous 4-4 Boro game and Holt replaced him for the last 25 minutes. Huckerby then caught light and tore Boro apart making all the goals in that famous comeback. Holt was un-noticed but his presence made it possible.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Fantastic post, in my opinion, NN. [:D][/quote]

[/quote]Can i be the one on the right?

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fuglestad"][quote user="ron obvious"]

Here''s a thought: perhaps the Board reckoned that they couldn''t afford to stay up? That the cost of paying prem. players wages & the associated costs could never be covered by income?

It would explain why they didn''t seem to try very hard.

[/quote]

Wow. That is truly stunning. Yes the board got us relegated becuase they couldn''t afford to rake in tens of millions every year. That is beyond stupid.

[/quote]

I think you''ll find it doesn''t work quite as easily as that. Perhaps if NCFC could have stayed up for a few years it might have repayed the initial outlay, but there''s no guarantees.

I''m not saying they were right, just trying to find reasons for their actions.

[/quote]

I understand that it is not simple. However, we went down with a small wage bill by Premiership standards, but a very large one by Championship standards which we could not pay for without the Premiership income. If we''d stayed up we could have covered it, the irony being we actually weren''t particularly prudent at all and certainly did not "budget for relegation".