Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Jonson and Helveg

Both did very well today by the sounds of it, Jonson obviously settling in and Helveg coming on and seeing a lot of the ball. Surely a starting place should come his way? But then it''s all about where to play him, as our defence is playing very well at the moment and there is no need for change there. Svensson also made a few things happen - it seems we put more pressure on WBA when McKenzie was taken off. He might have scored 2 on his debut against the binners, but in my eyes it does make him immune of criticism - he is not good enough for this level. Start Svensson.

i agree, jonson done really well and helveg done well,defence was faultless and i think if svensson missed the chance leon had he would of got slagged off ,so yes i think svensson must start against everton.

I have to say that I have pushed Leon''s case more than most in these columns and after two starts he hasn''t come up with the goods. So I bow my head to those who thought otherwise.

So where do we go from here then ? Have we any other options ? Perhaps Mcveigh at centre forward or promote Jarvis thro'' the ranks, we just need someone who''s not averse to planting the ball in the net !

But well done city, a point gained today I feel.

I would like to see helveg come in for gary holt and play the holding role.  I think, while he''s still a bit patchy at the moment, he would add a bit of class!  I still like mackenzie up front.  he works hard and wins his fair share of headers.  I think jonson improving and like helveg needs a bit more pitch time to get used to it!

Charlton and fleming are the players of the season for me!  and green!

I agree with you on Jonson and Helveg doing very well today but I would not start with Svensson as he wins less headers than McKenzie even though he is taller, he is not as fast as McKenzie. I still think we should keep faith in McKenzie and believe he can come up with the goods very soon.

We need an older head at the front at the moment so yes give sven a start , he is saying he is back to fitness and it seems he did well when he came on

Id also like to see helveg play more. he is obviously quality but edworthy aint done nothing wrong. Id keep it the same against everton but play helveg on the right at man cityto give a bit more defensive cover.

but i honestly cant see why anyone would want to put svensson ahead of mckenzie. svensson really doesn''t have any affect on any game. all i heard on the radio about him was when he had a long range shot which was nearer the corner flag than the goal. mckenzie does things, wins the ball and gets into the spaces to score. he''s only had 2 games, he needs a couple more yet before he''s up to his best.

HE WILL SCORE!!!!

I''m sure Helveg will get his chance, but at the moment Edworthy is playing well enough to keep the Dane on the bench.

Svensson has already had several chances to shine up front, but has failed to deliver so far - give Leon a chance. Let''s see what he can do after a few matches on the spin to help him build a partnership with Huckerby.

Jonson is getting better with each game, but shows the step up we have to make - even seasoned Internationals, like Helveg and Jonson, are struggling to compete in the Premiership.

Fingers crossed it is only short-lived! MLS

It''s fantastic to hear that Jonson is starting to settle down.  I really think he is a winger with excellent potential.  IMO we have never replaced Ruel Fox on the right hand side of midfield.  To find a player who can play in that position well and consistantly would be wonderful!

SAYING SVENSSON BEEN GIVEN A CHANCE UPFRONT I THINK SO HAS LEON LOST HIS MAN GREAT BALL IN A WHERE DOES THE BALL GO OVER THE BAR AND PLEASE DONT SAY IT WAS EARLY ON HE SHOULD OF SCORED .

I''m not sure about the Jonson comments. Not happy at all. Wasting too many good opportunities. Maybe he will get better, but taking a long time. Helveg may be better for the position. as a previous post says - give some more cover for the flying everton and also showed he had a good cross on him late on vs wba.

KEEP MCKENZIE IN THE STARTING ELEVEN. OFFERS MUCH MORE THAN ANY OTHERS. RUNS FOR EVERYTHING, WINS HEADERS. KEEP THE FAITH, WE''RE OUT OF THE DROP-ZONE! we''ve only lost to man u, ars and liv. not bad. keep going boys

[quote]It''s fantastic to hear that Jonson is starting to settle down. I really think he is a winger with excellent potential. IMO we have never replaced Ruel Fox on the right hand side of midfield. To fin...[/quote]

[quote]IMO we have never replaced Ruel Fox[/quote]
Have you forgotten Neil Adams? ;-) MLS

Mckenzies profligacy in front of goal is a major concern. Given that we cant get a striker til after Xmas, we could lose a lot of points through poor finishing. Hes had more than two games... its fair to say he wasted a golden chance against Newcastle, which should have won us the game.. he also missed one at old trafford.. against pompey he was a trifle unlucky, but the WBA miss was atrocious.

He also got in Jonsons way when the swede was lining up a shot on the edge of the box.. and it put Jonson off.. The prem is a hard league, and if a player doesnt swim when hes thrown in he sinks pretty quickly. If Mckenzie doesnt score saturday, i think hes blown his big chance.. and roll on the transfer window.

Worthy is inlikely to change things against everton - and why should he: this starting eleven have put in 2 good performances now.

Mckenzie does need a longer run at things - all strikers live off confidence and understanding, and sopme of the through balls hucks was playing for Leon on Saturday show that relationship is starting to come, and should be given a little more tinme to mature.

Jonson too continues to improve, and got into some good positions on sat - how Hoult kept his header out in the second half I don''t know!

The player who did impress me most though was helveg in his shortish spell. He had a lot of the ball, generally made good use of it, but more importantly he seemed to have and make time with it - the mark of a quality player. Watching him stand on the ball waiting for Eddy to make the overlap was really top drawer. He won''t start against everton, but away at Man City i''d swop him for Jonson, with no other changes.

One last observation - near og aside it was gary Holt''s best performance this season, and if he continues to improve and play like that I won''t be complaining any more.

Well done all the team - but now we just need that little bit of luck we surely deserve.

i can''t believe people are calling for leon to be dropped already. do people seriously think 2 or 3 starts is enough? if you were real managers you''d be changing the team every fortnight and no-one would ever get settled or a decent run in the side.

it''s all about confidence - as soon as he scores those chances will be transformed into goals. there are strikers all over the prem not scoring and being given far longer runs than leon''s had in the team. i''m talking macken at man city (when did he last score - i didn''t realise he was still playing for them!), campbell for everton, or ferguson come to that, phillips at southampton...  

he needs at least another 3 or 4 games

Add Jon Stead to that list a1canary...the best thing since sliced bread last season and not a single goal to his name this season.  Is he rotting in Blackburn''s reserves?  I think not!

Leon has done everything except score in the two games he''s started.  He''s been creator as well as on the end of some good chances which - yes - he should have put away...but compare the energy and creativity up front to the Villa game, for example, and I know what I would rather be watching, missed chances or not.  One goal is all it will take to switch on the self belief...oh yes, that and a win!!!

[quote][quote]IMO we have never replaced Ruel Fox[/quote] Have you forgotten Neil Adams? ;-) MLS[/quote]

ruel fox was not replaced by neil adams

they were never in the same class - DD is correct, RF is the best RW we have had for years. 

Oo, you might have touched some nerves there gazza!

Neil Adams WAS brought in as a replacement for Fox. Allow me to put the case for the defence:

He came in to a side in rapid decline and had little hope of making much of an impression on it''s fast falling fortunes from right wing. There will only ever be one Johnny Gavin! But once he had established himself out there he did much alongside Robbo to keep the club alive during a dire time in its history. He had the rare ability of a right winger to cross, run and shoot (few can do all three), and he wasn''t afraid to dig in for the team at the other end. Those things alone put him in a league far ahead of those that have taken his place. The mantle is there for the taking Mattias Jonson!

The defence rests.