Sign in to follow this  
Morph

Drury and Holt out for weekend?

The report of last nights match on Soccernet suggest that both Holt and Drury came away from the 2-1 loss to Newcastle with hamstring injuries. It intimates that it puts both in doubt for the away trip to Man City.

Anyone else have any further information on this?

Holt being out is not too much of a worry as he already has a ready made replacement in Safri. But, does Worthy have a ready made replacement for Drury?

My worry would be that he tries to play Shackell in the full back role again given his seemingly good showing last night. However, the more obvious pick is Brennan. Question is who is he more likely to choose? 

Brennan is the obvious choise but switching charlton to left back makes a lot of sense. Would it be shackell or the doc at centre back though? I guess it may depend on whether Leon is fit again.

I have not seen any mention of an injury anywhere else so currently I expect both to be fit and start.

OTBC

I would put Shackell in defence instead of Doherty as he has more pace than him which you need against Manchester City with the likes of SWP and hopefully Charlton is back. With Holt I would do a straight change for Safri.

Assuming they are all still injured, I would go with.

---------Greeno

Edworthy - Fleming - Shackell - Brennan

Jonson - Safri - Francis - Mcveigh

----------Sven - Hucks

I have not been convinced of Shackell when I have seen him at left back but he has the pace for centre back to cover Anelka, SWP and co.

I also think Brennan has been solid when ever he has played and Left back is his natural position. He does the basics well.

BRENNAN BRENNAN BRENNAN BRENNAN!

I will put him there myself if i have to. As for Charlton - no no no! He''s a right back. That''s his favoured position. Yes he can do a job in the middle but on the left? He doesn''t have a left foot. Play left footed players on the left! (Ok, hux is an exception there!)

And Safri for Holt although this is not ideal bearing in mind that he''s fasting. It sounds terrible but I''ve been waiting for exactly these two injuries. Just so i can see exactly these two on the pitch. It seemed the only way they will get games.

[quote]Brennan is the obvious choise but switching charlton to left back makes a lot of sense. Would it be shackell or the doc at centre back though? I guess it may depend on whether Leon is fit again. I h...[/quote]

I think Zipper is right.  Especially last year Brennan would have been the obvious choice for a left back spot.  However, as we have seen Elvis around Carrow Road more this season than Brennan, I think it''s more likely to be Charlton (If Drury doesn''t make it of course)

What''s the point in any of us mentioning brennan? I can see Worthy being more keen to play players out of position (Shackell at left back for instance) than to re-call Brennan, the guy who had a great pre-season. It''s probably because we haven''t got a first win yet and i''m frustrated, but if Worthington can''t get these seemingly personal vendettas against players sorted, then what hope have we got?

How do you know it''s a personal vendetta?Maybe Brennan is not as good as Charlton - and I would think that is a definite possiblity.

Come on, some of us need to take off our yellow and green specs - Brennan wouldn''t be the first player to be left out in the cold by Worthington, for a reason none of us know about. What other reason can it be other than a personal one? I saw Brennan at a fans forum, and he admitted himself he is fit and raring to go, and just desperate to get a game. Why upend Charlton from centre back where he has played so well, (yes I kinow he has played most of his career at left back) but why the need to change, when a perfectly capable left back is sitting in reserve?

These injuries really could be a blessing... It will give other players a chance and could improve competition for places.  I''m not going to moan about him but Holt seems to be virtually guaranteed a place in the team.

Alex - I''m fit and raring for a game. Why doesn''t he play me at left back?

Cos I''m crap.

Perhaps he doesn''t rate Brennan as a defender, perhaps he does. Perhaps he was bought as a Div 1 player and now we''ve made the step up he can''t cope.

Perhaps Brennan''s a bad egg and Worthy doesn''t want to play a bad egg because all the well behaved people can then behave how they like.

Perhaps he''s a bad trainer. Perhaps Worthy doesn''t want to play him because he mucks around in training, and that sets an example to the players that if you mess around in training, you won''t be picked.

Worthy likes things done his way - that''s why he''s the manager. I''m sure he''s making decisions for the overall good of the squad.

DD, I''m sure people are concerned about Holty''s injury (especially XXL on his way home to Hong Kong!), but we have a reasonable amount of cover in that department I think, but little real cover in defence if Charlie and El Capitano are crocked.  However, you might be right with your comment anyway.  If Worthy''s hand is forced though it will be very interesting to see what he does, though.

banana - seems he is a left back by trade, i feel certain that in the pinkun reports i read when he was signed they said his preferred position was right back. Because i remember thinking "go, we''re a bit over blessed with RB with Helveg, Eddie, Briggs (at the time) and then Charlton.

I like a lot of what you post on here but i can''t agree with your opinions on Brennan and the inference above that he''s ''crap'' is nonsense. The guy has the makings of a great winger and can equally do a job as a left back because of his defensive capabilities and that rarest of things - a left foot! Did you see him when he did play last season? Or read about/see his performances pre season? Or ask any Forest fans about him? Ok he may not be quite as defensively sound as Drury but he''s a hundered times better going forwards and he has a wicked left foot cross on him that the likes of Sven and Leon would dream about. When do you see decent crosses going in to the opposition area from the left? And he has a small sledgehammer attached to his left peg! Who actually do we have who can hit a good free kick or shoot from distance effectively? Mulryne. Sometimes. McVeigh? Bentley when he''s playing can have a pop. That''s it. A team with Safri Brennan and Bentley in it will give significantly improved scoring opportunities from outside the box.

One of the most effective sides we have produce in recent years was the one that took us to the play off final in the last few games of 2002. Why, because Easton (yes Easton) and Rivers (yes Rivers) worked the wings superbly back then and with nasty whipped balls flying in to the box from BOTH wings you are ALWAYS going to cause your opponents problems.

While I dont think Brennan is ''crap'' as you point out a lot of the reason why Brennan has not figured is answered in your own post.

Brennan is primarily a left back and as you point out is not as defensively secure as Drury. I agree that he puts in better crosses that Drury, but the latter is improving - witness the delicate cross he played for Charlton goal against Pompey. Drury has added an attacking edge to his game and is now seen overlapping and supporting far more than either Eddie or Helveg on the right this season. As an overall package Drury is the more complete player. Brennan should be first choice if Juke Box is injured.

As far as a left midfielder is concerned he does have a shot and can take a free kick. But most of the team can play in a cross, and I think that playing Brennan just for the occassional free kick from just outside the box is not justified. He doe snot have Bentley or McVeighs vision or passing ability and feel that it is right that he sits behind them in the pecking order at the moment.

The only reason Jim got a game in midfield last season was due to McVeighs inconsistency. It was not that Brennan was any better but he did provide the same level of performance week in week out. In the end he lost his place to Hux in any event.

I think that Worthy has got this about right. Jim is a valuable, and flexible, squad member who can be relied upon when needed. When the squad gets to over 20 players there always going to be those players who wont featured unless there is an injury - Jim is one of those in my view.

OTBC

I did see him play last season A1, and I thought he was above average - but he certainly didn''t set my world on fire.I don''t think he''s crap at all, I just don''t think he''s as good as Drury or as good as McVeigh/Bentley.