Sign in to follow this  
rjwc22

Portsmouth slash price

Was in one of the red tops this morning that Gaydamak is now only asking £35m for Portsmouth.

I think they have debts of about £80m and have postponed building a new stadium because of financial problems but it does illustrate that we are not the only club struggling to find investment.  However unlike us Gaydamak is not going to sell unless he can get all his cash back - apparently why he turned down the offer from Ramon Vega.

Not saying this relieves our board of culpability for our current situation but does help to emphasise just how hard it is to find investment in football at the moment unless you are a world brand.

I also think it speaks volumes about the failings of the game today when a club in the premier league who having just won the FA Cup are struggling financially.  It is all but impossible to build any sort of side these days without running up a huge debt, and that debt will only get bigger now that the power is firmly back in the players hands.

I think only Arsenal are managing to build something within their means, possibly Villa.  I dread to think what the balance sheet at Tottenham looks like.  For me its only a matter of time before one of these so called big boys collapse under the weight of their own debt.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]I hope Pompey are relegated this season. That crap little club have outstayed their welcome in the Premiership.[/quote]

Abit harsh, I often make my judgement by how much I like or dislike a club by it''s fans, Pompey have great fans who from my experiance atleast are very friendly

[quote user="jbghost"]You ever been to Fratton Park?? About as friendly as Millwall just after beating them 10 nil!!![/quote]

Yes I went to Fratton Park in the pouring rain a few years ago in a 1-1 draw, can''t say that I noticed anything to suggest that Pompey fans are anything like Millwall.

[quote]

I think they have debts of about £80m and have postponed building a new stadium because of financial problems but it does illustrate that we are not the only club struggling to find investment.  However unlike us Gaydamak is not going to sell unless he can get all his cash back - apparently why he turned down the offer from Ramon Vega.

[/quote]Wasn''t Ramon Vega a character from Streetfighter? [:P]

Shows that Delia is wanting too much for our club if the FA cup holders and a side that looks as though it will be in the Premeirship next season can''t sell for £35 million.

[quote user="Lambo"]Shows that Delia is wanting too much for our club if the FA cup holders and a side that looks as though it will be in the Premeirship next season can''t sell for £35 million.[/quote]Thats some interesting thinking....

[quote user="Lambo"]Shows that Delia is wanting too much for our club if the FA cup holders and a side that looks as though it will be in the Premeirship next season can''t sell for £35 million.[/quote]Yep. Let''s ignore the eighty million debt the new buyer would have to take on! [:S]

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]I hope Pompey are relegated this season. That crap little club have outstayed their welcome in the Premiership.[/quote]

That is well harsh. Having lived down here for many many years I used to watch them a fair bit and my son is a season ticket holder.

Their fans shame the vast majority of clubs in every league, they tend to sing from start to finish (albeit, you have to put up with Mr Westwood and his bloody bugle) and they are definitely worth points to the team throughout the season. They have a pretty good side now too, and although they have taken a bit of time to recover from the loss of ''Arry, Defoe and Diarra I am pretty sure they will stay up - it will be well deserved for their fans.

Mark .Y.