Sign in to follow this  
Normann Canary

Alex... as for boo'in our own team...

Why do people boo and abuse their own team,

because they are frustrated, but at the end of the day it get''s us nowhere as I said!! They''re frustrated essentially for their own personal reasons. We watch sport to be part of a team, we follow clubs to be part of something bigger than our own little worlds, to belong to something we can be proud of, so that on the weekend we can forget about all the little stresses in our lives just for a couple of days. But if the team doesn''t win, some people feel the need to point their disapointment and that frustration at the most obvious target... because for that show period of time, they feel they didn''t forget about all those little life stresses, becasue they immediately think of "not again..."they''ve" let me down again... sack all the bastards, because "they''ve ruined MY weekend", that''s what sort of supporter boo''s their own team. where''s the loyalty? I can understand the frustration...

yeah mate, i was shattered when they leveled it, I had to watch the live scores on the internet down here, so i didn''t hear the jeering from the supporters, but I certainly did see the Everton fans cheering for their team in DEFEAT!! "Gracious in defeat"... shows the strength and loyalty of a true supporter... when people start abusing the team... then they really need to take a look at their own lives and figure out why it is they do it!! Cos it''s not the way it should be...

Why do I think this? because I am known to have done it in the past... but I learnt that what''s the point, it only prolongs you''re own frustrations... If people didn''t give up hope so easily, they''d have realised that although we lost, as so many people have already posted on this board, it''s not the end of the world, and next week is another game, and another chance... We are Norwich, Pride of Norfolk, Pride of Anglia, we are the supporters... Pride of the Canary World!!!

I am proud... who else is?

I agree with you that the booing was out of order. I was in my seat feeling as if I had been poleaxed but I didn''t boo. I couldn''t clap either. I suppose its the way some people feel they can convery their frustration, but it doesn''t help. I have to say the the mood trooping out was the lowest I have seen for a while.

Normann Canary, you are blowing it out of proportion because you weren''t there and don''t know what happened.

At the blowing of the final whistle there was a short chorus of boos. The team and the manager fully deserved it. Worthy has pretty much admitted that. Then we all filed out muttering about what a shocking performance it was. End of story.

If Norwich go to Stamford Bridge and put in a battling performance against a full strength Chelsea side, but narrowly lose 1-0 then I''m sure the city team will be applauded. Just as they were when they lost 2-1 away to Man Utd. Saturday was an entirely different kettle of fish.

I have to agree with Tumbleweed - I was so shell shocked at the equaliser going in that I simply went numb and simply sat there emotionally drained and very quiet. The last few minutes were a blur - I didnt even notice the booing at the final whistle!

Having said that the crowd was tense before the game and that transfers itself to the team - we do need to be more vocal and supportive in these games.

At the end of the day the team did not play well enough against a weak blackburn side and we were lucky to come away with a point.

OTBC

Thought I might get slated for this sooner or later. (If i am indeed the Alex you mention) I can''t be bothered to go into too much detail so I''ll put it simply,

Not all of us enjoy the good cushy life of being a ''Professional footballer''. Don''t get me wrong, I love football. But what exactly do they do that is worthy of the wage they recevie? I think for me to be told i''m one of those who are "frustrated" and that needs to "look at my own life" is a bit out of order when you consider these players are getting paid X thousand per week (and some of them are still not satisfied) I don''t like to go into my personal life on a forum, but I am struggling to find employment. It''s not something I''m proud of. But speaking of proud, I am proud to be a City fan, and nothing will change that.

But, you moan at me for boo-ing the players? (well ok, not me personally, i wasn''t there because I can''t get to games now - which i suppose in your eyes doesn''t make a true supporter but that''s another story) These are ''professionals'' - they have a job to do, as we are told. In Saturday''s case, the job was to hold onto a 1 goal lead. They couldn''t do it, mainly down to the inept tactical substitutions from our manager. We have fantastic supporters who pay their money, good money they earnt to go and support the team, which they do. Now, i''m sorry if you don''t agree, but if the team and management can''t go that little bit further to pay the fans back, then the booing was justified.

Rant over. (and so much for not going into much detail but never mind)

There are two sides to this as far as I can see it.  Supporters pay to watch games and if they think their team has let them down then they are entitled to boo to show their disapproval.  However, if people stop to think about whether, in the long term, this will help the team or not then maybe they wouldn''t do it at all. 

Perhaps a deafening silence would have just as much effect without the possible damaging side effects.  Personally I don''t ever boo the team, but on Saturday I didn''t applaud either as there wasn''t much to inspire me to do so.  Still, at the end of the day it is up to the individual to choose their course of action. 

Its not the supporters who have made the worst start in 83 years... The performance on saturday was totally indefensible, and im usually quick to defend the team. I know when im being mugged, and saturday was such an occasion.

Anybody who beleives that NCFC are above criticism is missing the point. When thousands of paying custoemrs vent their dissatisfaction with events, it might just make people take a long hard look in the mirror. Lets face it, throughout the long winless run, the support has been unwavering, it hasnt made much difference.

What might make a difference however is some height in the back four, some cutting edge up front, some creativity in the midfield. The message is loud and clear to board, manager and players, after 9 years wait to get back to the top flight, dont p*** it away.

True, I wasn''t there and haven''t been to Carrow in eleven years, and ok I over reacted a little, but still... Perhaps... passion can blind you in lots of ways... I''m ok with the idea of stunned silence, but prefer that we show support anyway!! Tele coverage is rubbish down here, and ofcourse in the highlights, worthy''s after match speech was drowned by the whinning voice of Christina Aguileira, as the disco kicked in... I''m not doubting anyone elses passion... just questioning their loyalty, cos I know I wouldn''t have jeered tem personally...

Norwich City rules!!

Normann Canary - You may wish to compare these two statements of yours:

"I''m not doubting anyone elses passion... just questioning their loyalty, cos I know I wouldn''t have jeered them personally"

"I wasn''t there and haven''t been to Carrow in eleven years"

Hmm, you think you can question the fans'' loyalty? Fans who sat through the relegation season, unlike you. Fans who supported the club through nine long seasons in Division One, unlike you. Fans who have given the club their weekly wages in the form of season ticket purchases, shirts and shares. Get lost and support Ips****. You''re no city fan.

Now.. Now Pete, that''s a little harsh...

If I could afford to fly to England every weekend of every year to watch the games I would ... It''s just that it costs $3500 round trip, and only Arsenal and Man U fans can afford that kind of money... and as for spending hard earned money supporting the club, the rest of the family in Norfolk do that quite nicely thankyou... with yearly club memberships etc... so if you want me to f##k off and follow Ipswich, and think I''m no City fan, that''s your opinion... but I''m quite comfortable with my supporter status thankyou very much... how about you...?

Ipswich, no thanks, I''ll not join "your" club thanks mate!!!

ive allways said id never boo the team no matter how they played, and ive got into arguments many times in the past over the subject. Saturday however i changed my views on this, and boo''d at the final whistle unknowing that most of the ground would boo as well.
Like someone already said, we pay a lot of money to watch the team, and it is a passion. However, the team need to know when the fans arent happy... ok maybe they knew themselves already that they had thrown it away, but its not the point. The supporters are what keep the club alive, and they shouldn''t have to pay to watch a performance like that.
What someone was saying further up the thread, is that we should cheer the team even if theyre abysmal.... this will do nothing to help. If the fans seem happy with a poor performance, then the players wont push themselves as much to impress the crowd. if the crowd gets onto a player and the player doesn''t improve it can often be very damaging to his career... but if he does put the work in and find form, it can be very worthwhile... however if the crowd seemed happy with him putting in a bad performance, there is no real motivation to get better.
By booing the team at the end of the game, its basically telling the management and players to buck theyre ideas up, just a kick up the backside to get things in gear. The players will then try harder to impress and get the results, instead of just accepting a loss and not bothering about it.

I have to drive 200 miles to all the home games, which costs me a lot of money to follow the team.... and i dont want to travel all that way to see a team that looks lazy, and like they dont care. i want to see a team thats motivated, hungry and full of energy. We all know how the team can play, so when we see a performance like that against a team which we should have taken 3 points off, the team dont deserve aplause... in fact they should make sure they work damn hard in the next game to prove theyre not lazy idiots.
Nuff Said
Dave

Well... Dave... and all... (yes....even you mr pyro)

all things considered, I posted that "essay" and I''ve read all the responses... like I said... I understand the frustrations... and I agree the team and managament need to know the fans aren''t happy, and that the fans that go to the matches spend alot of hard earned money... so Ok, maybe I needn''t said that they need to "analyze themselves for boo''in" etc.. and that they we''re obviously pre frustrated from lack of sex... actually I don''t think I said that... but anyway... so here...

I admit I was a little harsh... and that I may have pre-judged people and the situation based on possible mis-conceptions of the truth... My apologies to anyone offended, I was wrong to doubt anybody''s loyalty in this way

yes Mr Pyro... I''m guessing you would like to be included here?? Ok MR PYRO and many others like him... spend alot of the hard earned cash to follow the team all year round... and sorry for doubting your loyalty...

as already I''ve been previously informed, and so wisely I might add... that I''m not a true City fan myself, if that is the case then let''s forget about it, cos therefore if I''m not a city fan, according to Mr Pyro''s logic, i must be a binmen sent here... yes as a spy to report back to Joey...

"that yes indeed... it does appear... that Mr Pyro has defected to the other side... "

this is my final say on this matter, now I''m going to leave it to the sharks...

I know you all hate me... but many great leaders have fallen to those they wish only to lead!!!

Sorry, one thing I am quite well known for... is talking absolute bollocks!!!