Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Chris Sutton in FA Enquiry

[quote user="Huddy "][quote user="Paul Bishop"][quote user="Huddy "]

I totally agree with the respect campaign etc...but put yourself in the same shoes.

Your 13 year old kid is in a heep on the floor, after an apparantly awful tackle; you go on the pitch to see how your son is, and perhaps find a referee perfectly happy to let the kid get away with the tackle. Things work both ways to me; yes referees need respect; but children also need to realise they can''t get away with such actions.

[/quote]

Only one member of the coaching team should ever go onto the field of play! and that person should never confront the referee on the pitch.

You''d never see Gunny on the pitch while a players getting treatment.

[/quote]

But none of the players on the pitch are Gunny''s 13 year old son. Slight difference! Plus, i would suggest that the NCFC physio is far more qualified than whoever runs on with the sponge for Sheringham Youth U14''s; and probably knows less about injuries than Chris Sutton.

[/quote]

Good point BUT he (or anyone) should confront the referee on the pitch.  

Let me just add one piece of information that is 100 % true and in favour of Chris Sutton which has been conveniently left out it seems by the majority of reporting of this incident. Thankfully, the Daily Mail have included it.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/03/15/celtic-hero-chris-sutton-explodes-at-referee-during-son-s-match-78057-21198854/

This was a game between two Sheringham Sides, there was rivalry...and as Suttons agent says in the piece linked. "Chris was angry because the kid said he was going to do it beforehand", apparantly at school.

So, if your 13 year old son has just been subject to an awful challenge by someone, who had been telling everyone exactly what he was planning to do would you stand on the touchline 50 yards away, while your son is in a heap on the floor, stand their accept it and say, ''that''s life'' of course you bloody wouldn''t. Know it isnt the referees fault; but perhaps more action could have been taken against the player to help defuse the situation.

I think people (press included) should consider ALL facts before character assasinations just to make a story and have a moan.

Please don''t misunderstand my comments. After managing youth teams for more than ten years I can also confirm that it is rarely the players who are the problem but more often than not the parents, many of whom have little or no knowledge of the game but nevertheless want to pass that limited knowledge on to their sons! Quite often team managers are powerless to do much about these idiots and also wish they were nowhere near their sons ......... but that''s not going to happen is it?

My main conceren with this incident is that some people are perhaps jumping to the wrong conclusion without fully knowing what has happened. As there is to be an enquiry perhaps the best thing to do is to leave it to the authorities to sort out when presumably both sides of the incident will be heard.

[quote user="Huddy "]

Let me just add one piece of information that is 100 % true and in favour of Chris Sutton which has been conveniently left out it seems by the majority of reporting of this incident. Thankfully, the Daily Mail have included it.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/03/15/celtic-hero-chris-sutton-explodes-at-referee-during-son-s-match-78057-21198854/

This was a game between two Sheringham Sides, there was rivalry...and as Suttons agent says in the piece linked. "Chris was angry because the kid said he was going to do it beforehand", apparantly at school.

So, if your 13 year old son has just been subject to an awful challenge by someone, who had been telling everyone exactly what he was planning to do would you stand on the touchline 50 yards away, while your son is in a heap on the floor, stand their accept it and say, ''that''s life'' of course you bloody wouldn''t. Know it isnt the referees fault; but perhaps more action could have been taken against the player to help defuse the situation.

I think people (press included) should consider ALL facts before character assasinations just to make a story and have a moan.

[/quote]

But what if the other kids dad doesn''t like the way an adult is maybe (MAYBE) having a go at his kid, can he come on to the pitch to look after his kid?

[quote user="Paul Bishop"][quote user="Huddy "]

[/quote]

But what if the other kids dad doesn''t like the way an adult is maybe (MAYBE) having a go at his kid, can he come on to the pitch to look after his kid?

[/quote]

I don''t know exactly what and to whom the (alleged) foul mouthing was aimed at. But if (as alleged!) this was pre planned, surely the parent would have every right to ask the kid about it. If his parent then came on; and heard that part of the story, i would like to think the parent would be suitably ashamed of HIS OWN sons behaviour; at going out to hurt someone.

[quote user="Huddy "][quote user="Paul Bishop"][quote user="Huddy "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know exactly what and to whom the (alleged) foul mouthing was aimed at. But if (as alleged!) this was pre planned, surely the parent would have every right to ask the kid about it. If his parent then came on; and heard that part of the story, i would like to think the parent would be suitably ashamed of HIS OWN sons behaviour; at going out to hurt someone.

[/quote]

Yeah you would of hoped that but i''ve refed loads of games where theres been a bad tackle. I''ve booked the kids and the parent''s have had a go at me cos they can''t see what everybody eles sees. 

It seems unlikely, at this distance,that the referee would have known about any "school yard" threat.  You just give what you see - he apparently gave it as a penalty. To come on and argue a "background" doesn''t hold water in any game - whether it is the U10''s or further on.

The "authorities" will no doubt sort it out.  Other than that the 16 year old ref did his job: gave the penalty and reported the parent who came on the pitch.  I assume misconduct 1(c).

When my son was 15 he was playing and getting the living crap kicked out of him...(. this was school soccer... he played club as well)

This game seemed to consist of kicking the ball as hard as possible towards the other goal... or if not the ball then the opposition player

After being brought down for the fourth time with a really nasty tackle from behind (and when you play for 30 years you recognise a nasty tackle don''t you?) I asked the ref if he could pick up the tackles from behind...He was an official ref and it was an official game

and I did ask  .... no abuse.... no shouting

for that I was promptly abused by the opposition players    with quite a few expletives thrown in

I pointed out to the ref someone would get hurt.... more abuse... I said let''s discuss it later

One of our spectators claimed I was asking the 17 year old from the other team for a fight by this comment and put in a complaint about me

I''m a teacher at the school where the game was played.... so this didn''t work out well for me... and I had to cop abuse from this unpleasant parent and his unpleasant wife for a few games after,,, and walk  away

I really think it''s unfair to judge anyone unless you were there

It''s hard when you think your lad''s leg might be broken.... It sounds like a relatively minor incident   but to be fair it may not have been

PS the ref in my game was about 40

Just try to clear a few points up. I was there and the game was played in very good spirit by everyone involved,and very well refereed.There were no threats, the tackle was not a bad tackle,just a tackle that happens in all level of football. The fact is Mr Sutton went onto the field of play,which of coarse every parent would do if there son/daughter was injured,it is what went on when he got onto  the field.The match was held up for several minutes while he protested and abused the referee,he wolud not leave the field of play when asked.It was a most unfortunate incident and is getting a little bit out of hand. All the boys involved get on very well,and games between these teams are allways played with a high level of sportsmanship It is a shame that one incedent has caused so much trouble.I am sure Mr sutton regrets his actions and in hindsight would have handled it a bit differant,.There was only one person in the wrong and that was Mr sutton.

[quote user="Huddy "]

[/quote]

That does not excuse Chris''s behaviour. If rumours were going round about such a scenario, AND Chris knew about them beforehand, he should have had a quiet word with the ref before the game. Then, instead of the headlines being ''former pro hauled off pitch for harrassing ref'', they would have been about a schoolboy being questioned for ABH/GBH with intent. The rules of sportsmens consent do not extend to deliberate premeditated assaults.