Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Hendo £2.5m bid

Two posts on Football Rumours bid for Hendo £2.5m from Celtic turned down, and 5 year contract to be offered.

There are some crazy rumours on the site, can''t see it being true, but first time I have seen Hendo being mentioned, someone is obviously taking notice.

Keep up the barracking and Hendo will not want to stay.

If Martin O''Neill rates him we should want to hold onto him. He is one for the future and we don''t need to sell players like him. If we hadn''t gone up though, we probably wouldn''t have any choice but to sell.

That''s because he''s a good player. Not the finished article, sure, but he scored some good goals last season, set some others up, represented and scored for his country.

If he was a Man U player and we were in for him everyone would be saying ''exciting prospect'' but because he is young and inexperienced and has poor patches in games he gets barracked. Its bizarre if you ask me.

Ama

I like the kid,and I think he might come good for us,but 2.5 mill?!look on that site again and check the position of the decimal point!!

lets face it, the media throw up all sorts of silly £''s. We''ve seen that often enough.

Of more concern is the name Hendo - and linked with Celtic. No smoke without fire if you ask me. He''s definitely one for the future.

I thought he''d signed long term - if not, lets do it quickly.

I think this whole rumour is way off the mark and I cant see Hendo leaving although if £2.5m was on offer we would have to think long and hard - that buys a serious footballer!

However it did get me thinking about our options on the right side of midfield - and it currrently looks a bit bare. It was only with the signing of Kennedy that we finally got the position nailed - but he has returned to Wolves. WLY, Hendo, Holt, Francis etc were all tried in this position without joy. We have one signing in Bentley who can play that role but if he was to get injured/not perform to expectations/fit into the team we hardly have any options - i suspect that is why Scowcroft appeals - he provides cover for a couple of positions.

Central defence and central midifeld remain the areas to strengthen - not the forward line.

OTBC

I think you meant Cooper, not Kennedy! Personally I''d jump at the chance to get rid of Henderson for £2.5 million. I think he needs a season on loan in division one, to gain a bit more experence.

Forward Line could always be strenghthened, goals win games, if quality is available at an affordable price it should be snapped.

Cannot have too many options up front.

Here here with the right midfield comments. Our options on the right are looking very shakey indeed, especially with bentley ruled out of all arsenal clashes. We can''t keep playing players out of position, not in the prem!

You are right about Cooper of course - god knows where Kennedy cropped into my thoughts!

As far as the front line is concerned most prem teams have 4 strikers - we currently have Hux, Leon, Svennson & Bentley with Abbey, Jarvis and Henderson in the back ground. The first two in particular have enormous potential given the right service (hence a creative midfielder) - thats why I feel we dont need any more strikers but should focus on securing the defence to ensure we get the most points from the goals we do score.

Doesnt the goals win games mantra belong to Keegan? who conveniently forgot/assumed that just by scoring three you would win whilst forgetting that conceeding 4 means the goals you have scored become meaningless. Keegans Citeh, Toon Fulham, Spurs 5 man W formation & Real Madrid highlight the problems of having a squad disproportionately focussed on attack whilst Arsenal, Manure, Porto, Valencia & Greece have showed what can be acheived through teamwork and a solid defensive line.

This reads as very critical of your statement Peter - it isnt meant to be and certainly isnt personal; and I apologise in advance if I have offended you sir - I just have a lot of faith in the current crop of strikers and less confidence in facing the challenges of keeping a clean sheet or holding onto the ball/creating chances from the midfield.

OTBC

OTBC

I agree with all this about a right sided midfielder.

Isn''t this Mathew Etherington teritory? He hasn''t been allocated a new club yet has he?
Anderton too but I would hate to see him arrive.
Is Kevin Harper history?

Can anyone else throw in any others?

ZLF not a problem, thanks for the apology been writing to fanzines, newspapers, message boards etc. long enough now not to be thin skinned about opinions to the contrary.

Must point out Etherington played left side midfield for Hammers, although talented, cost could be more than we want to play.