Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Let's all calm down

It''s getting more hysterical than usual on here at the moment, and it hasn''t been helped by the Worthington affair which,at the very least was a PR disaster whatever the actual basis of the discussions. There is little doubt that the board are once again showing their naivety and giving lots of ammunition to those who want them out.It would be interesting to know how many on here would actually oppose a change of regime to new owners with money to put into the player budget. I certainly wouldn''t and I suspect that those who would could be counted on one hand.

Having said that, the chances of such new owners appearing in the near future appears slightly less likely than Julian Clary getting the lead role in a remake of Raging Bull. There are still quite a few deluded souls clinging to the forlorn belief that Peter Cullum is still going to save us, but even a cursory examination of the financial situation shows that he has enough on his hands at Towergate. If he is out of the picture an overthrow of the board on the basis that someone is bound to step into is reckless to the point of insanity.

Given all the above it isn''t totally surprising that we''ve had lots of criticism of what has been done since Wednesday morning, but when considered in the cold light of day, the crass and naive Worthy debacle aside, is it reasonable to be so critical of the board?  This managerial appointment will, without doubt be the most crucial of the board''s tenure. Does anybody REALLY believe that its not only possible, but, more importantly, practical, to achieve this within 48 hours? They have to get it right (and, yes, I appreciate that their track record gives limited hope that they will), so grabbing the first available person is not the way forward, although I accept that the transfer clock is ticking. However, I would suggest a week is more realistic and entirely reasonable to survey the options properly, make and action a decision, given that we have 10 days until our next game after today. The only way to have a new manager today would have been for the board to be in negotiations with someone else  a week or so ago with Roeder still in post. That would have been unethical, could have resulted in legal action and, most importantly, would have resulted in the board being widely (and justifiably) villified in the press, with  a long term knock on effect to the image of our club. A caretaker today was therefore the only realistic option, and Gunny was the obvious, and really the only, choice as a club icon well known by all the players and liked by the fans.Today will not be about tactics, it will be about battle and desire and getting a win any way we can . Those who have criticised Gunny should be ashamed. The guy has stepped in at short notice to help the club and deserves our total support this afternoon, as do the players. On the ball City

[quote user="Beauseant"]

It''s getting more hysterical than usual on here at the moment, and it hasn''t been helped by the Worthington affair which,at the very least was a PR disaster whatever the actual basis of the discussions. There is little doubt that the board are once again showing their naivety and giving lots of ammunition to those who want them out.It would be interesting to know how many on here would actually oppose a change of regime to new owners with money to put into the player budget. I certainly wouldn''t and I suspect that those who would could be counted on one hand.

Having said that, the chances of such new owners appearing in the near future appears slightly less likely than Julian Clary getting the lead role in a remake of Raging Bull. There are still quite a few deluded souls clinging to the forlorn belief that Peter Cullum is still going to save us, but even a cursory examination of the financial situation shows that he has enough on his hands at Towergate. If he is out of the picture an overthrow of the board on the basis that someone is bound to step into is reckless to the point of insanity.

Given all the above it isn''t totally surprising that we''ve had lots of criticism of what has been done since Wednesday morning, but when considered in the cold light of day, the crass and naive Worthy debacle aside, is it reasonable to be so critical of the board?  This managerial appointment will, without doubt be the most crucial of the board''s tenure. Does anybody REALLY believe that its not only possible, but, more importantly, practical, to achieve this within 48 hours? They have to get it right (and, yes, I appreciate that their track record gives limited hope that they will), so grabbing the first available person is not the way forward, although I accept that the transfer clock is ticking. However, I would suggest a week is more realistic and entirely reasonable to survey the options properly, make and action a decision, given that we have 10 days until our next game after today. The only way to have a new manager today would have been for the board to be in negotiations with someone else  a week or so ago with Roeder still in post. That would have been unethical, could have resulted in legal action and, most importantly, would have resulted in the board being widely (and justifiably) villified in the press, with  a long term knock on effect to the image of our club. A caretaker today was therefore the only realistic option, and Gunny was the obvious, and really the only, choice as a club icon well known by all the players and liked by the fans.Today will not be about tactics, it will be about battle and desire and getting a win any way we can . Those who have criticised Gunny should be ashamed. The guy has stepped in at short notice to help the club and deserves our total support this afternoon, as do the players. On the ball City

[/quote]well said, we must get the result today,

After today''s game, and (ironically, given our cup exit) we have tend ays until Southampton at home on January 27th.  The next ten days will be critical in appointing someone and getting them to work with the players for at least 3-4 days.  Agreed that today''s all about getting a win, and I remain very worried about where our goals will come from so if we''ll win, we''ll win 1-0 at best.  Luckily Barnsley are as goalshy as us.

Julian Clary in!!Makes sense to me:Sounds like he''s going to be availableNever managed a side to relegation.More likely to give our players the cuddles they need.That''s better qualifications than some of the prospective candidates being spouted around here anyway.

[quote user="The Prisoner"]Julian Clary in!!

Makes sense to me:

Sounds like he''s going to be available
Never managed a side to relegation.
More likely to give our players the cuddles they need.

That''s better qualifications than some of the prospective candidates being spouted around here anyway.
[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

We were never going to get anyone in for today''s game, save the bizarre Worthy debacle.  Gunny is the only choice but the right choice, just to galvanise the troops and bring a bit of short term feel good factor back.  As you say, next week is crucial.

Beau, a reasonable request in theory, and I have to admit the past week has shown the board to be on one hand proactive in at long last giving Roeder his marching orders, but on the other hand a touch naive in expecting to communicate with the NI Football Association without any news of this leaking out.

Of course the next managerial appointment is crucial, they all have been, but for one reason or another those managers have not succeeded. The one that did, Mr Worthington, was not backed adequately when he did achieve. Lessons should have been learnt then, but were not. Since that day we have declined, today to such a point we are likely to drop to a position not experienced since the 60s.

I can''t really see any point at all in criticising Gunny. He''s stepped up to the task and should be both applauded for that and supported. I am sure he will be today at the game.

However the board and their actions of recent years, invite criticism and negative comment. It''s not just bad luck that we are in the position we are in. They have to learn lessons on many fronts. I am not convinced they will get the next appointment right, but I will back that person 100% as they will need all our support to save us from relegation.

The next manager will not have much time to get anyone in, nor the funds we have to expect, so they will need the players to play 100%, and we have to back them.

I didn''t expect a firm and permanent appointment to be made this week. I am curious as to the nature and timing of Roeder''s departure. Was it really only on Tuesday night that the decision was made? If we were to have beaten Charlton, would they have considered sacking him? How long would they have kept faith in a failing manager ?

If new owners are as bleak a prospect as you suspect, and I guess most of us suspect, then the present ones need to draw up a far more realistic course, starting with mending some bridges with a number of the fanbase who have become alienated by their actions in the past. I think most of us can accept them staying if they make their plans clear to the supporters. If Delia is wishing to sell the club to anyone who has the money, then she needs expert opinion on a more realistic price, but as there is no one on the horizon perhaps she needs to appoint someone who can at least draw up a plan for the next year or two. At the moment (as seen at the AGM) the board are lurching from crisis to crisis.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beau, a reasonable request in theory, and I have to admit the past week has shown the board to be on one hand proactive in at long last giving Roeder his marching orders, but on the other hand a touch naive in expecting to communicate with the NI Football Association without any news of this leaking out. Of course the next managerial appointment is crucial, they all have been, but for one reason or another those managers have not succeeded. The one that did, Mr Worthington, was not backed adequately when he did achieve. Lessons should have been learnt then, but were not. Since that day we have declined, today to such a point we are likely to drop to a position not experienced since the 60s. I can''t really see any point at all in criticising Gunny. He''s stepped up to the task and should be both applauded for that and supported. I am sure he will be today at the game. However the board and their actions of recent years, invite criticism and negative comment. It''s not just bad luck that we are in the position we are in. They have to learn lessons on many fronts. I am not convinced they will get the next appointment right, but I will back that person 100% as they will need all our support to save us from relegation. The next manager will not have much time to get anyone in, nor the funds we have to expect, so they will need the players to play 100%, and we have to back them. I didn''t expect a firm and permanent appointment to be made this week. I am curious as to the nature and timing of Roeder''s departure. Was it really only on Tuesday night that the decision was made? If we were to have beaten Charlton, would they have considered sacking him? How long would they have kept faith in a failing manager ? If new owners are as bleak a prospect as you suspect, and I guess most of us suspect, then the present ones need to draw up a far more realistic course, starting with mending some bridges with a number of the fanbase who have become alienated by their actions in the past. I think most of us can accept them staying if they make their plans clear to the supporters. If Delia is wishing to sell the club to anyone who has the money, then she needs expert opinion on a more realistic price, but as there is no one on the horizon perhaps she needs to appoint someone who can at least draw up a plan for the next year or two. At the moment (as seen at the AGM) the board are lurching from crisis to crisis.[/quote]

Good post Gazza. I agree with that 100%.

As to your question I''m sure that the sacking has been coming for a while. Boards will usually set an unofficial internal deadline for improvement.Kneejerk reactions are the exception rather than the rule, so I think his card was marked and  a win would have bought him very little time.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="The Prisoner"]Julian Clary in!!

Makes sense to me:

Sounds like he''s going to be available
Never managed a side to relegation.
More likely to give our players the cuddles they need.

That''s better qualifications than some of the prospective candidates being spouted around here anyway.
[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

I''m sure ''Our Julian and his dog Fanny, will knuckle down and get on with the job in hand.....

Whether that will be before or after he''s finished fisting Norman Lamont.....Who knows?

Will you please stop being so reasonable[:D]

If you dont watch out I will start a Beau out web site and then you will have to be friends with Mick Dennis.

Now just behave or else.

Good post Beau but I am worried that Gunny will become permanent (cheap option) if he wins today will it become wait and see how he does.