Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Bring in Ian Crook...

I say bring in Ian Crook as assistant manager.

One of the best passers of the ball in his generation and a dying breed.

Surely his influence can only bring good to the club.

My fear is Roeder would feel threatened by him?

Crooky is someone I think a lot of us would like to see back at Norwich in some capacity.

If only Glenn could look past his geordie-tinted glasses!

[quote user="Canary Boy"]

[/quote]Ian Crook has been my choice for manager ever since Mike Walker left and Crooky went to Oz, with the exception of three of the Worthy years during which I forgot about him...... as soon as Worthy was gone I wanted Crook.I would except any of the following combinations:-Crook + ContactBowen + ContactCrook + BowenDion + ContactBoothroyd + MalkyMalky + IwanAnd a risky one....... Dion + HucksI would emphasise that I would not want Iwan or Hucks as manager, I dont think that they are cut out for it. I also would not want Craig Fleming anywhere near a Malky set up, I dont think he is the right material (personal opinion)...... I do think that Iwan or Hucks could be valuable in the changing room though.I suspect that the current regime have been completely put off appointing a former player, after the Grant appointment, but Grant was never in the same league at all in terms of Legend status at this club, Grant was another Megson..... did an ok job and forgotten about..... then did bugger all as manager.Personal opinion of course....

Crook + ContactBowen + ContactCrook + BowenDion + ContactBoothroyd + MalkyMalky + IwanAnd a risky one....... Dion + Hucks

That is a nice list of legends at Carrow Road, although not much attention was paid to Boothroyd until he left. Unfortunately none of them, except Boothroyd and Malkay for a couple of weeks, have any managerial experience. Crook was a blinding player, but has never done much on the coaching side, apart from a second rate Japanese club and some stuff in Australia, and he has little desire to come manage in England. Enjoying the lifestyle in Australia too much so I hear.If we were to lose Roeder (a mistake in my opinion), we should get a proven manager in. One of the most important things to have for a manager with little money to spend is contacts, Grant proved that by not having any. Everyone would love to see a former hero on the pitch doing us proud on the side lines, but I fear if any of these players were given the reins we would start to resent them, like we did Megson. (I notice his name isn''t there)

[quote user="Jonny 5"]Crook + ContactBowen + ContactCrook + BowenDion + ContactBoothroyd + MalkyMalky + IwanAnd a risky one....... Dion + Hucks

That is a nice list of legends at Carrow Road, although not much attention was paid to Boothroyd until he left. Unfortunately none of them, except Boothroyd and Malkay for a couple of weeks, have any managerial experience. Crook was a blinding player, but has never done much on the coaching side, apart from a second rate Japanese club and some stuff in Australia, and he has little desire to come manage in England. Enjoying the lifestyle in Australia too much so I hear.If we were to lose Roeder (a mistake in my opinion), we should get a proven manager in. One of the most important things to have for a manager with little money to spend is contacts, Grant proved that by not having any. Everyone would love to see a former hero on the pitch doing us proud on the side lines, but I fear if any of these players were given the reins we would start to resent them, like we did Megson. (I notice his name isn''t there)[/quote]But neither Megson nor Grant could ever be considered a legend on the pitch for Norwich, both very average players who did an alright job on the pitch. You quite rightly discount Boothroyd as a legend, but the others deserve better than to be mentioned in the same breath as Grant or Megson. Mike Walker hadnt done anything before Norwich, nor had Worthy, Nor had Stringer.......... Oh, wait..... nor has Roeder really

Fact is that most good players have proved to be poor managers and visa versa, Clough is about the only only one who was good at both. What is this obsession with bringing some ex player back as manager, why?

[quote user="SPat"]Fact is that most good players have proved to be poor managers and visa versa, Clough is about the only only one who was good at both. What is this obsession with bringing some ex player back as manager, why? [/quote]Dont be silly......Bobby Robson (20 England Caps)Alf Ramsay (32 England Caps)Martin O''Neill..................................... I will leave it at Martin O''Neill should I? because he was a former Norwich player that left us top of the championship, remember him?

Tbh I think its a bad idea to bring back an ex legend as manager. The fact is it will eventually sour, and the hero will either leave or get sacked leaving a bad taste in the mouth. A wolves supporter I know has made it clear he would never want Steve Bull as manager simply because one day they will probably end up sacking him, possibly ruining the relationship and the memories of great playing career.

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="Canary Boy"]

[/quote]

Ian Crook has been my choice for manager ever since Mike Walker left and Crooky went to Oz, with the exception of three of the Worthy years during which I forgot about him...... as soon as Worthy was gone I wanted Crook.

I suspect that the current regime have been completely put off appointing a former player, after the Grant appointment, but Grant was never in the same league at all in terms of Legend status at this club, Grant was another Megson..... did an ok job and forgotten about..... then did bugger all as manager.
[/quote]

Agreed. Of course there''s no guarantee they would be any good (is there ever?) but I think ex players do tend to try and build a team that reflects their own playing style. If nothing else Crook would try and get a team that played football. (That''s not a dig at Roeder - he''s signed well in Clingan, Bell and Hoolahan). I groaned when Grant was appointed - he had done OK at West Ham by all accounts but his playing style at Norwich was more being a nuisance to others than actually creating flowing football. Not even kick and rush - more rush and kick. I really think he could not relate to Huckerby at all. Think I am right in saying that Crook applied for the post at that time - so one day perhaps. Meanwhile such musings are just that. Roeder will continue to appoint those he knows and can rely on for support.

I''d love to see someone like Mackay or Crook come back to the club. But...

For managers like Glenn Roeder, who like to sit in the stands for the first half of a match, it is important to have an assistant manager who you know and trust to look after things from the bench. I''m guessing this is why he has gone for Sadler- he already knows him, and can therefore trust him.

I like the legends and would welcome them back, but they have to be qualified, they have to know what they are doing...dion isnt qualified so i wouldnt have himmalky and iwan have UEFA B licences so you could employ them in some capacity.Gunny has his UEFA B and perhaps even the Pro licence?Crook has a UEFA Pro licenceexperience counts for a lot.but qualifications are needed.