Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

THE FIRST TEAM SHEET

It looks like NW is set with his side. At full strength, without additional signings it probably looks like this:

Green

Helveg
Fleming
Charlton
Drury

Jonson
Holt
Francis
Bentley

Huckerby
Svensson

Subs (5 chosen from core group of these players based on opposition and injuries):
Gallacher/Ward
Mackay
McVeigh
Safri
McKenzie
Mulryne
Jarvis
Brennan

I''LL TAKE THAT!

One more central defender and a centre forward and we''re set! I still believe that NW''s largest splash in the transfer market is yet to come and it will happen when the transfer window reopens in the winter.

The good thing about it is that most people seem to agree what the first choice 11 is, which indicates there would be , barring injuries, the chance of a settled side.

Agree with you, however i think he will start with Jonsson on the bench. I can see Brennan starting on the left with Bentley on the right until Jonsson has match practice

I too think NY is probably right although the only question is how quickly Jonsson settles - he may be a sub making a 30 min appearance as he settles in, with McVeigh starting. I would expect the 5 subs to be Gallagher, Brennan, Malky, Mackenzie and McVeigh, assuming Safri remains unavailable due to injury.

A second centre half to partner Charlton and some competition for Sven would be superb

OTBC

The team I put up there is definitely one that is when the team is settled. Jonson will take a little time but we''ve certainly not paid a record fee to have him sitting on the bench. Once he''s up and running, he must be a starter.

The only other real options I can see (barring any signings) is:

a. Holt and Safri fighting for the midfield spot
b. Edworthy moving in to right back; Helveg in right midfield. Jonson moves to left and Bents and Hux up front. Sven to the bench. Unlikely but possible.

I just don''t see Brennan, McVeigh and Mulryne as starters this season altho Mullers could make a real push if he''s up for it....I keep feeling like he can be MUCH better.

I have to say, with the current squad, I think nycanary has it spot on. What impresses me the most is the felxibility our squad now offers - so many players can fill in elsewhere in the team and still be good enough for the Premiership - a very good summer, signings-wise!

Bad luck on Safri, I agree, but with his injury he will start the season on the bench and then have to take his chance when he gets it. I still think Worthy will opt for the tried and tested Holt/Francis midfield partnership.

Agree that Holt/Francis will start off, however Safri came to us to play in the premiership (not sit on the bench of a premiership team), and he was one of Worthy''s first signings, spending 500k making him our second biggest signing of the season. I think its in Worthys mind to play safri

I agree with the Francis/Holt pairing to play palace but when we come up against the teams that have been in the Prem for a few years then I think that we would be better off play Mullers purely because his game is more suited to the Prem. We need a play maker in the team now that we''re in the Prem and Mullers is the only one at the club. Although before I get shouted down Bentley could be classed as a play makers but I''d play hime out on the left and not down the middle.