Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

FAN'S EYE - Why do we continue to spurn Lappin?

The Roeder comments on Lappin are unbelievable really when he talks about praising him afterwards for the marshalling of the young lads, his excellent diagonal balls and all round attitude ......

...... and then says that his future is away from here and that he is behind Drury and Bertrand (both left backs) in the pecking order.

Mr Roeder you said you admitted your mistakes, the problem is you don''t actually think you make any do you?

The whole lappin situation is one that has been puzzling me for some time now. In my opinion he is a very good player. Scores a few good goals and can whip in a good cross/corner or free kick which very few in the squad can do. he had one bad game at plymouth and roeder takes a disliking and he was playing out of position at left back at plymouth anyway. While people like Omozusi, Fotheringham and Sibierski continue to put awful performances in and still start most weeks. And the worst thing is from what i here is that Roeder has made Lappin train with the youth which for me is totally disrespectful

The fact is has anyone really done well on that left side of midfield this year. Hoolahan has not been great. I still dont really rate pattison and Bell and Croft are natural right wingers.

Maybe it''s because Roeder feels Lappin is symptomatic (sp?) of the old Grant regime and ''Plymouth Away''. He''s the manager now and has to stamp his mark on the squad; he''s brought in Bertrand at left-back and Hoolahoop and Pattison on the left wing. Reinstating Lappin could look, in Roeder''s eyes, like he''s saying that his new signings aren''t as good as the ''dross'' he inherited from Grant.

Or maybe that''s just me when I play Football Manager?

interesting to see he didnt say he was behind the atrocious Fattison for the left wing spot though Face....

i still think we haven''t seen the last of Simon in a Norwich shirt.

jas :)

The ''Plymouth Away Debacle'' has gone on for too long, that was a different season, a different game. I fplayers put in excellent performances for the reserves, they should be chosen for the first squad. We need confidence now in the team. Same goes for Daley. If he could make a Martin-esque impact, itd be great. But he has to be given his chance.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]The Lappin situation saddens me, he deserves better.[:(][/quote]

Roeder has dismissed Lappin on an undisputably poor performance at LB at Plymouth. Effectively Lappin has had a year of his playing career taken from him. But prior to the Arsenal game I do not believe he ever saw Lappin play in his natural postion at left of midfield. To say he is behind Drury and Bertrand is ridiculous - you might as well say he''s behind Lupoli and Lita in the pecking order! Has Roeder not even checked ut the NCFC web site as to Lappin''s true position? As such I think the 25 year old Lappin can make his case very comfortably against Pattison or Fotheringham.

A final thought - isn''t it the Board''s role to ensure the manager uses what few resources he has open to him as efficiently as possible?

Well..... apart from what goes on in the dressing room....

He''s great at dead balls...... apart from that?

Or are we suddenly wishing for grant to come back?

Lim''s first law of football punditry: the longer you spend out of the team, the better a player you become.

I quite like Lappin. But he''s obviously miles behind Drury and Bertrand at left-back, and well behind Bell and Pattison as a left mid.

Roeder''s made enough mistakes. Leaving Lappin out is hardly one of them.

A question for Archant to take on I think.

"We have heard how much you think of Simon Lappin Glenn"

"You have told us how well he trains, you have told us how well he holds himself despite being dropped, you tell us how well he carried the youngsters through against Arsenal, you tell us how well he played, you tell us how well he plays the perfect diagonal ball and you tell us how he is not worth releasing because he is too god a player. So Glenn, tell us please, why don''t you play him on a Saturday afternoon? We are afterall paying his wages.

Please ask the question.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Lim''s first law of football punditry: the longer you spend out of the team, the better a player you become.

I quite like Lappin. But he''s obviously miles behind Drury and Bertrand at left-back, and well behind Bell and Pattison as a left mid.

Roeder''s made enough mistakes. Leaving Lappin out is hardly one of them.[/quote]Don''t agree that he''s miles behind Pattison - quite the reverse. And I actually think that on current form he''s better than Bertrand, who''s been very poor lately. Lappin''s not as good as Bell in midfield, but a good option if Bell isn''t available.

Have you all forgotten he has the pace of John Hartson? Plus you''re making out as if Roeder doesn''t know who he is! He sees him every day in training!