Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?

To sign a bloody striker? Roeder has been here long enough to know who he wants yet it seems we are still no nearer getting a decent striker! is it because Roeder doesnt really know who he wants or more likely that our tight fisted board led by that money grabbing cook are too tight to spend anything? i know which one i think it is, dont you Delia?

[quote user="baldyboy"]To sign a bloody striker? Roeder has been here long enough to know who he wants yet it seems we are still no nearer getting a decent striker! is it because Roeder doesnt really know who he wants or more likely that our tight fisted board led by that money grabbing cook are too tight to spend anything? i know which one i think it is, dont you Delia?[/quote]

If it''s any consolation it has taken Man Utd 18 months to sign Dimitav Berbatov...

P.S. It''s not like Football manager...

we''re not asking for millions to be spent though are we? and i know its not like FM as you say, how can other clubs sign strikers in the summer that are scoring goals, players we have been linked with but we are just too bloody tight to spend even half a million!!

How patronising.  We know its not like FM, but are you seriously saying a club needing a decent striker more than anything else should have taken NINE MONTHS and STILL not signed one?

[quote user="The Walking Man"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]To sign a bloody striker? Roeder has been here long enough to know who he wants yet it seems we are still no nearer getting a decent striker! is it because Roeder doesnt really know who he wants or more likely that our tight fisted board led by that money grabbing cook are too tight to spend anything? i know which one i think it is, dont you Delia?[/quote]

If it''s any consolation it has taken Man Utd 18 months to sign Dimitav Berbatov...

[/quote]

Everyone is talking about Ameobi and quite frankly i saw him last season at Stoke and he played with the sense he was too good to play championship football....and by the showing in the game i saw, he didnt look that great. Now whether or not that was down to fitness is something i dont know, from the past though i still believe Ameobi is not ''a proven striker'' as he spends all his time as a sub.

Its been said before but we cant put all out eggs in two baskets in the shape of an injury prone pre-madonna and a far from proven goalscorer from Norway...because people seem to be forgetting the ''great'' performances he has put in before on his adventures in England.

Why not look around the prem clubs for players who dont seem to have quite made the grade and they have released, they have some experience at a higher level, Stelios to name a possibilty - i know he''s not a striker berfore you say - but surely there must be some-one who is willing to drop down a league to prove themself... 

[quote user="absyNCFC"]

Everyone is talking about Ameobi and quite frankly i saw him last season at Stoke and he played with the sense he was too good to play championship football....and by the showing in the game i saw, he didnt look that great. Now whether or not that was down to fitness is something i dont know, from the past though i still believe Ameobi is not ''a proven striker'' as he spends all his time as a sub.

Its been said before but we cant put all out eggs in two baskets in the shape of an injury prone pre-madonna and a far from proven goalscorer from Norway...because people seem to be forgetting the ''great'' performances he has put in before on his adventures in England.

Why not look around the prem clubs for players who dont seem to have quite made the grade and they have released, they have some experience at a higher level, Stelios to name a possibilty - i know he''s not a striker berfore you say - but surely there must be some-one who is willing to drop down a league to prove themself... 

[/quote]

haha, think you mean Prima Donna....

[quote user="absyNCFC"]

[/quote]

haha, think you mean Prima Donna....

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]

Eatrnshaw

Patterson

Hulse

or even Andy Cole?

[/quote]

They''re an interesting selection. Hulse is a player Worthy admired and was his famous "plan A"  when Howard was his "Plan B" I remember Worthy said there wasn''t much use having a plan C,D,E, F, G & H.

Worthy said:  "I can go and sign five six-foot three strikers tomorrow for £100,000 apiece - they won''t do the job that we want because they are not good enough, simple as that, and if you want to move forward then you need good players within the club." Grant then signed Brown, Cureton and Strihavka none of which moved the club forward and we still have Cureton on a long contract now.

Worthy also said “We have looked across the board and the two top targets were Hulse number one, and Howard number two. It is not a surprise because when there is not an abundance of those types of strikers about, they command high transfer fees, they command high wages,” In the end he didn''t get either and didn''t waste money on strikers who were not good enough and found a plan C in Dion Dublin.

So that''s where we are back to now. Unlike Peter Grant, Roeder seems to want to bring in forwards who will move the club forward rather than fill the squad with average Championship players. In a way I''m glad he is sticking to his guns to get the player he wants, I know it could all go wrong if he can''t sign him, but like Worthy seemed to be saying - we shouldn''t accept second best for our club.

If those were the only two options, you might be right but they are not so you are probably wrong.   Deals take longer these days for all sorts of reasons such as agents fees and contract negotiations.   There are many more hoops to jump through and all transfers take much longer.

Still perhaps you live in a simpler world where players move overnight........its called the sixties.

[quote user="JC"]

How patronising.  We know its not like FM, but are you seriously saying a club needing a decent striker more than anything else should have taken NINE MONTHS and STILL not signed one?

[quote user="The Walking Man"]

[/quote][/quote]

I know it was meant to be patronising. Too many people think football is an exact science 2 + 2 = 4 and we''re finished. To say we''ve not signed a ''decent'' striker is debatable, I would say Lupoli is more than just decent when fully fit. However we must remeber the whole rebuilding job Roeder has done whilst he has been here and the big ''decent'' striker is meant to be the last piece of the jigsaw. Again i''d like to stress that according to Fulham, Rosenborg are an absolute nightmare to deal with when it comes to buying players...

deals do take longer i agree, but roeder ststed he needed a striker FOUR months ago before last season finished! this is just another example of the continuing bullshit that eminates from Carrow Road, we have been promised one was coming in this week, then that week but still nothing, WHY? the strikers we have here ARENT good enough FACT thats why they have had all those chances in two games and our goals scored column still reads ZERO!!!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]we''re not asking for millions to be spent though are we? and i know its not like FM as you say, how can other clubs sign strikers in the summer that are scoring goals, players we have been linked with but we are just too bloody tight to spend even half a million!![/quote]

Give me a guesstimate of how much you think we bid for Lupoli?

[quote user="baldyboy"]deals do take longer i agree, but roeder ststed he needed a striker FOUR months ago before last season finished! this is just another example of the continuing bullshit that eminates from Carrow Road, we have been promised one was coming in this week, then that week but still nothing, WHY? the strikers we have here ARENT good enough FACT thats why they have had all those chances in two games and our goals scored column still reads ZERO!!!!![/quote]

The way I see it Roeder, like Worthy before him, only wants to bring in players that will move the club forward. He has identified who he wants and is holding out to get him. If it all goes wrong let''s hope he can find a plan C as good as Worthy''s. But as I said, I would rather he stuck it out to get the players he wants than sign Brown, Strihavka and Cureton and then in October bring in Hartson on loan!

weve only got him on loan!!! his record over the last year for scoring is .....0 goals. i would hope it was less than we would have paid for Martin Paterson, i would hazard a guess at around 400k, or do you know the exact figure?

[quote user="baldyboy"]weve only got him on loan!!! his record over the last year for scoring is .....0 goals. i would hope it was less than we would have paid for Martin Paterson, i would hazard a guess at around 400k, or do you know the exact figure?[/quote]

We wanted to buy Lupoli originally and had a bid rejected, not a loan bid but a permanent bid. I''ve no idea of the the exact figure but for an Italian U21 international I can''t imagine it was peanuts...