Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

I've heard enough - i really do NOT like our manager

Surely this whole thing is a swallows and summer issue.

What the gaffer is pointing out to us as well the player concerned is simply the. One good display against the bottom team and whipping boys of the league is great but it isn''t and excesses for some of the dreadfully abject performances over this season.

Both Cureton and Semmy have played well in patches. Both have been bloody awful in patches too.

What Glenn wants is the type of performance both delivered on Saturday on a more regular basis and against all levels of opposition in this league.

What harm does it do to let players, people or employees in any walk of life know that you as the boss are able to see the good and the bad and able to draw your own conclusions from that.

Responsibility is what is needed by the players. If Jamie starts missing sitters again next week it won''t be as some are trying to say the managers fault it will be his. He was missing sitter well before Roeder joined us and come to think of it he missed one or two on Saturday against Colchester.

Spot on Hardhouse.

I would have rather we beat Colchester one nil and scored four more goals in in four of our drawn games to give us another 8 points.

That''s consistancy and that''s what the gaffer want''s.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

he said in the first week here, that he wouldn''t talk about individual players when talking to the media!.[:|]

[/quote]

Yeah Wiz mate, don''t you just hate it when people say one thing one day then just go and change their mind ! [;)][;)]

[/quote]

Yeah, but he gets paid bloody well for it mate................I don''t!.[;)]

I have a question for some of the people who claim he misses too many "sitters":Say for example cureton was to go through the next six games and net six goals in those games, however he misses 1 sitter in each of those games, does that mean he''s playing badly despite a good goal scoring record?

[quote user="Fellas"]I have a question for some of the people who claim he misses too many "sitters":Say for example cureton was to go through the next six games and net six goals in those games, however he misses 1 sitter in each of those games, does that mean he''s playing badly despite a good goal scoring record? [/quote]Chris Brown missed a fair few sitters, even one I remember after he was called offside, unyet some people defend him to the hilt - he couldnt create or score a goal for toffee during his spell here.Anyone see Ronaldo miss a few sitters against Derby a few weeks ago?  People on here have said Cureton should have got 5 against Colchester!!  Yeah right thickos, when was the last time a striker got five??

[quote user="Fellas"]I have a question for some of the people who claim he misses too many "sitters":

Say for example cureton was to go through the next six games and net six goals in those games, however he misses 1 sitter in each of those games, does that mean he''s playing badly despite a good goal scoring record?
[/quote]

And say for example he doesn''t. You example is just pie in the sky. It won''t/doesn''t happen ,players who score six in six don''t miss six sitters as well. You can''t stand there and say Cureton doesn''t miss sitters with any credibility cos if you attend then you see he does. Even Saturday he missed 2. Both at the river end. Fact. That doesn’t detract from the fact he scored a hat-trick, but one hat-trick doesn’t detract from the fact that he misses chances that other strikers would bury.

The only thicko would be the man who compares Jamie Cureton with the best footballer in the world. Utter madness

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[quote user="Fellas"]I have a question for some of the people who claim he misses too many "sitters":Say for example cureton was to go through the next six games and net six goals in those games, however he misses 1 sitter in each of those games, does that mean he''s playing badly despite a good goal scoring record? [/quote]

And say for example he doesn''t. You example is just pie in the sky. It won''t/doesn''t happen ,players who score six in six don''t miss six sitters as well. You can''t stand there and say Cureton doesn''t miss sitters with any credibility cos if you attend then you see he does. Even Saturday he missed 2. Both at the river end. Fact. That doesn’t detract from the fact he scored a hat-trick, but one hat-trick doesn’t detract from the fact that he misses chances that other strikers would bury.

[/quote]Pie in the sky? Well cureton has 6 in 7. Not a huge difference. So your saying that Cureton cannot score six goals and miss "six" sitters at the same time. In my opinion, 6 in 7 is good enough. 12 goals, so far in this campaign where we have been one of the lowest scoring sides with him having well over a quarter of our goals in total, a good tally. It''s equally as good as say counago is rubbish. The fact of the matter is, you cannot expect Championship level players and particularly ones that are getting on in their years not to miss some sitters. I can safely say that Earnie misse(s/d) more sitters for us than cureton did and in my opinion his were worse. That''s why Earnshaw isn''t starting and Miller is. That''s why cureton isn''t in the premiership and other foxes in the boxes are. Too much has been expected of cureton this season. He''s been expected to score 20+ goals in a team where we have only scored 40 goals all season (and 35 before saturday, and appaling total no matter what way you look at it). Not only add to that fact that he''s playing infront of a largely in-effective midfield that has created very chances and scored very few goals this season. Then add to that an obvious niggling injury that has plagued cureton this season, finally resulting in surgery for him to come back and get 6 in 7. And then add to that the fact he''s been in and out of the side struggling for form this season. So I put it to you. Does cureton have to score every game to make you happy? Does he have to not miss any sitters to make you happy? Does he have to score every chance he gets and score every game? Your answers will depend on whether you want a Jamie Cureton or you want a Premiership 20+ goal scorer.

[quote user="Tickers"]I don''t really think Glenn criticised Semmy or Cureton by any great lengths, but has simply stated some facts. [/quote]Pah, you''re kidding right!? If he ''simply stated the facts'' as you claim, i wouldn''t have a problem with it, but he doesn''t do that. He embelishes with all this psychological nonsense (if that''s what it is) about cureton''s golden boot, his wife polishing it, watford''s ''unique brand of football'', the ''if i don''t talk to you your history'', ''shackell was to blame but i put an arm around him at half time and he morphed into john terry,'' ''i transformed this club because it had 8 points in November you know, 8 points!'' None of it is neccessary. You''ve done some great things Glenn so far, lets not spoil it or undo it. I want him to succeed and to carry on the good work, but i get uncomfortable that it will all unravel if he carrys on with all the un-neccessary psycho-babble.

You intimated that he was to score 1 a game and miss 1 sitter a game. Not that he gets a hat-trick against the lowest, poorest team in the league then 3 more in another 6 games.

You also don''t see that I am not unhappy with Cureton. He is doing ok. This whole debate was whether or not the manager was right not to only speak of the positive he does and to never mention the negative.

He has been poor at time and inconsistent. Why is he above reproach. Because he scored 3 against Colchester. That can''t be right.

Ok I think we have gone too far off of the track. Personally I think critism after the uwes game of cureton was ridiculous. Cureton has worked his socks off to get back in the team after surgery and scored goals. I mean for him scoring a hatrick, for you home team, at your ground, infront of all your fans, against a team rival and against your old club which some of their fans booed you as you came onto the pitch, is probably the greatest thing in the world for him. He doesn''t need Roeder to try and shoot him down again. Strikers can be confidence players. Who knows, cureton could really find form between now and the end of the season and it would have been no help to roeders personal attacking comments.Down to the comments themselves, why does Roeder need to put personal attacks in them? (you might not call them attacks, but I would).In my opinion this is the worst of all the comments: "He has got another ball to put on the shelf and a bit more work for his missus, dusting". How would say your partner (if you have one) react if your boss awarded you employee of the month but then said now get your missus to dust it. Not a thank you or anything just a snide comment thrown in for measure.Another example is this, "It''s what he does next week and the week after that. I am sure it''s

looking very pretty on his shelf at home and I''m sure his wife looks

forward to cleaning it every Monday morning, but for me personally it

means nothing.
" Why does roeder feel it necessary to rant about his trophies? If he really thinks it means nothing why is he mentioning it? It''s not as though Cureton walks around Norwich with a giant "I AM THE GOLDEN BOOT WINNER" sign. It''s just pointless and unecessary. A lot of the top managers never attack their players publicly. Sometimes it may be justified but that''s in extreme circumstances.The thing for cureton is, it doesn''t matter how many goals he scores or sets up. How many tackles he makes, how much work he does. Roeder will still not like him and some fans will never like him. That''s the fact. Roeder throwing comments at him will have less effect than a kid norwich fan going up to him and saying "I love you jamie, your my favourite player. Please score today", if not perhaps a negative impact on him. Cureton''s loyalty is to the club not to the manager, which in the whole, I think roeder dislikes.

[quote user="Fellas"]Ok I think we have gone too far off of the track. Personally I think critism after the uwes game of cureton was ridiculous. Cureton has worked his socks off to get back in the team after surgery and scored goals. I mean for him scoring a hatrick, for you home team, at your ground, infront of all your fans, against a team rival and against your old club which some of their fans booed you as you came onto the pitch, is probably the greatest thing in the world for him. He doesn''t need Roeder to try and shoot him down again. Strikers can be confidence players. Who knows, cureton could really find form between now and the end of the season and it would have been no help to roeders personal attacking comments.

Down to the comments themselves, why does Roeder need to put personal attacks in them? (you might not call them attacks, but I would).

In my opinion this is the worst of all the comments: "He has got another ball to put on the shelf and a bit more work for his missus, dusting". How would say your partner (if you have one) react if your boss awarded you employee of the month but then said now get your missus to dust it. Not a thank you or anything just a snide comment thrown in for measure.

Another example is this, "It''s what he does next week and the week after that. I am sure it''s looking very pretty on his shelf at home and I''m sure his wife looks forward to cleaning it every Monday morning, but for me personally it means nothing." Why does roeder feel it necessary to rant about his trophies? If he really thinks it means nothing why is he mentioning it? It''s not as though Cureton walks around Norwich with a giant "I AM THE GOLDEN BOOT WINNER" sign. It''s just pointless and unecessary. A lot of the top managers never attack their players publicly. Sometimes it may be justified but that''s in extreme circumstances.

The thing for cureton is, it doesn''t matter how many goals he scores or sets up. How many tackles he makes, how much work he does. Roeder will still not like him and some fans will never like him. That''s the fact. Roeder throwing comments at him will have less effect than a kid norwich fan going up to him and saying "I love you jamie, your my favourite player. Please score today", if not perhaps a negative impact on him. Cureton''s loyalty is to the club not to the manager, which in the whole, I think roeder dislikes.
[/quote]

Bloody top post Fellas.

It wouldn''t suprise me in the least to see Roeder try and force Jamie out of our club. If that happens, then GR''s lost me big time................take away Jamie''s 14 goals and Roeder would be unemployed in the summer!.

Basically if Cureton leaves in the summer you''ll probably assume that GR forced him out whatever happens.  I don''t think he''ll leave though we haven''t got a big enough squad.

Wiz, if cureton was ''forced'' out but GR replaced him and we won promotion would GR still have lost you?  If Roeder thinks the best way to get us up is with cureton, or without him, we have to give him the chance.

Last summer I think Grant would have signed someone different if he couldn''t get cureton, and you can''t say for sure if he hadn''t scored them another striker wouldn''t have either... It''s all a guessing game.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

take away Jamie''s 14 goals and Roeder would be unemployed in the summer!.

[/quote]

A slight spin on statistics Mr Wiz. Jamie has only scored ten goals since Glenn took over, and has found the net in 8 games under Glenn. His strike rate in 25 games (27 including FA cup) is to get on the scoresheet once in every three, albeit some of these appearances are as a substitute.

However your assumption also relies on the thinking that if Cureton had not been on the field, then Norwich would have scored 14 less goals this season, which is a simply nonsensical position to hold as someone else would have been on the field. Perhaps they would not have scored some of the opportunities Cureton had, but also perhaps they would not have wasted the ones he has wasted.

But if we want to consider your rather bizarre thought process - if we remove Cureton and replace him with a man who can''t score - let''s call him a Mr C. Brown - then Norwich would be nine points worse off, however three of those points would have come from Peter Grant''s time. So Glenn would have turned a team with just five points and probably relegated into one with 40 points and still in with a shout of avoiding the drop. Although we would probably be relegated I don''t think that would cost the job of a man who managed to turn the fortunes of the club around that much and almost save the club.

By contrast, however, he might get the sack for relentlessly playing a Mr C Brown who couldn''t hit a barn door from two yards.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]

I think this is just GR''s way of saying "don''t take your foot off the pedal" -- I would not read much more into it.

[/quote]

Spot on. But sadly in the days of the internet every little comment, every little word made by someone connected to the club will be analysed in minute detail. Lets just calm down a bit, not worth getting in a flap about.

[quote user="Mark Smith"][quote user="Budapest Canary"]

I think this is just GR''s way of saying "don''t take your foot off the pedal" -- I would not read much more into it.

[/quote]

Spot on. But sadly in the days of the internet every little comment, every little word made by someone connected to the club will be analysed in minute detail. Lets just calm down a bit, not worth getting in a flap about.[/quote]

"The Golden Boot winner from last season means nothing to me, and Jamie will accept me saying that," he said. "It''s what he does next week and the week after that. I am sure it''s looking very pretty on his shelf at home and I''m sure his wife looks forward to cleaning it every Monday morning, but for me personally it means nothing."

"He has scored the goals today, he has missed plenty recently and he has also scored some. He knows me well enough - I don''t say, ''bad luck'' when you miss an open goal. So he has come out and earned his wages this week, like they all have. He has got another ball to put on the shelf and a bit more work for his missus, dusting."

Funny way of saying "don''t take your foot off the pedal" if you ask me...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Mark Smith"][quote user="Budapest Canary"]

[/quote]

Spot on. But sadly in the days of the internet every little comment, every little word made by someone connected to the club will be analysed in minute detail. Lets just calm down a bit, not worth getting in a flap about.[/quote]

"The Golden Boot winner from last season means nothing to me, and Jamie will accept me saying that," he said. "It''s what he does next week and the week after that. I am sure it''s looking very pretty on his shelf at home and I''m sure his wife looks forward to cleaning it every Monday morning, but for me personally it means nothing."

"He has scored the goals today, he has missed plenty recently and he has also scored some. He knows me well enough - I don''t say, ''bad luck'' when you miss an open goal. So he has come out and earned his wages this week, like they all have. He has got another ball to put on the shelf and a bit more work for his missus, dusting."

Funny way of saying "don''t take your foot off the pedal" if you ask me...

[/quote]

What''d you want him to say?

"Jamie was last years golden boot winner with another team, he doesn’t have to prove anything to Norwich City because of that. That''s good enough and he''s beyond questioning"

Jamie Cureton is a well paid professional footballer who has missed a hatful, I''ll say it again a hatful of sitters this season. He also scored some. It''s clear to me despite the hat-trick he got against bottom of the table Colchester the manager expects and expected more from him this season. I for one agree with him.