Sign in to follow this  
arrdee

Gerry Howshall.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I remember John Manning Ricardo. He was a decent partner for Hugh Curran but left soon after Curran was sold to Wolves. I remember singing ''The Mighty John Manning'' and remember ''Hughie Hughie La La La''.

My best memory of Manning was scoring our goal that knocked Sunderland out of the FA Cup. We had drawn 1-1 at Carrow Road and nobody gave us a chance up at Roker Park in the replay but we won 1-0 thanks to the mighty John Manning and I won a tanner off my Nan.

After Manning can you remember another lump called Bryan Conlon who we got from Millwall??

[/quote]

Yes Nutty, lump is the correct word there. I have a recollection of the crowd getting on his back and Ron Saunders substituting him in some dire division 2 game in 1969 or 70. Funny how I can''t recall any of his goals but I do seem to recall that he was not to bad with his head. Not in the same class as Hughie Curran who was quick on his feet and good in the air.

John Manning was also good in the air but very much in the carthorse class when it came to speed and footwork. I always thought that he was very much like Ralph Hunt. Probably he was well before most posters time but they were the days when centre forwards were big old boys who would run through a brick wall to get at the ball.

I believe Conlon was one of Lol Morgans signinings who was cleared out when Saunders came. We had several big old centre forwards during that dire footballing period of the 1960s to 1970. Bryan Whitehouse and Jim Conway spring immediately to mind.

[/quote]I''ve been talking to an old friend of mine tonight, (Albert Bennett, remember him?) He told me that Bryan Conlon was sadly killed in a car accident. One name I''d almost forgotten from that era was Freddie Sharpe and another, Geof Butler. Albert seems to remember big Dunc playing right back at one stage.

Arrdee, good thread, I take back everything I said about exposing the bribes scandal !!   [:D]

[/quote]

Alright , alright , Lapp I know you aren''t going to rest until you have brought it up and... yes... I... suppose... the ...missing...body...will come...up...as...well. I don''t know why you cant give it a rest . I was just unlucky that''s all . Everyone has a bit of bad luck sometimes. arrdee. 

How about Gordon Bolland who struck up a pretty good partnership with Ron Davies? Then there was Laurie Sheffield who seemed to score in virtually every game he played but didn''t stay too long with us. I remeber seeing him score a hat-trick against Derby County on his home debut.

Mention by Ardee of Gerry Howshall going walkabout and John Manning in the same thread, prompted thoughts of the latter ''doing a Howshall'' and missing the coach for an evening kick off league match at Crystal Palace.The outcome was an embarrassing 0-6 defeat and how much this dented team morale on the night we''ll never know of course.For a big man Manning was not just excellent in the air but quite adroit on the deck and I remember against Fulham at Craven Cottage he scored with a sublime chip from distance similar to Mark Robin''s debut effort at Highbury.Geoff Butler''s name was also invoked and I really feel he did not get the recognition his classy play deserved. Not helped by having been signed by a previous manager (Morgan), he of course was the main victim of Bond''s flagrant ''Bournemouth-centricity'' which reached it''s nadir when a clearly unfit Machin was idiotically preferred to him for the League Cup Final against Villa with disastrous consequences. If anyone at a distance doubts how extreme this was, I believe the League imposed an embargo on City signing Bournemouth players!

You''re right Binky, Bryan Conlon didn''t do much for us. I think he scored a few goals but like Ricardo I don''t remember any of them. David Cross was quite possibly the best target man in the country throughout the 70''s. We heard about his signing at a night game and he could well be the best player ever to leave Rochdale. When I went there earlier this season there was still a picture of him with some other players in their club shop. He was only here a couple of seasons but played for many good clubs in a long career at the top.

I remember Freddie Sharpe Lapp. He was maybe the first in a long line of Spurs reserves to move here and have a decent spell with us. One of the first half back lines I remember was Lucas - Brown - Sharpe. Mal Lucas was my favourite of the three and I remember him as a tough tackler with a really hard shot although he rarely scored.

I remember Geoff Butler signing for us in fact I seem to remember us signing Ken Mallender on the same day? I could be way off beam here but I seem to remember Mallender being related in some way to Lol Morgan. Butler was the better of the two and I agree with Bernard that he should have played in that Cup Final.

I hope the picture below shows on this post. It''s the Bournemouth team that famously beat Margate 11-0 in the cup when Ted MacDougall scored 9! I have posted it on here before but see if you can recognise all those players that ended up here. They were a hell of a side for a division 3 team!

AFCB 1971/72

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You''re right Binky, Bryan Conlon didn''t do much for us. I think he scored a few goals but like Ricardo I don''t remember any of them. David Cross was quite possibly the best target man in the country throughout the 70''s. We heard about his signing at a night game and he could well be the best player ever to leave Rochdale. When I went there earlier this season there was still a picture of him with some other players in their club shop. He was only here a couple of seasons but played for many good clubs in a long career at the top.

I remember Freddie Sharpe Lapp. He was maybe the first in a long line of Spurs reserves to move here and have a decent spell with us. One of the first half back lines I remember was Lucas - Brown - Sharpe. Mal Lucas was my favourite of the three and I remember him as a tough tackler with a really hard shot although he rarely scored.

I remember Geoff Butler signing for us in fact I seem to remember us signing Ken Mallender on the same day? I could be way off beam here but I seem to remember Mallender being related in some way to Lol Morgan. Butler was the better of the two and I agree with Bernard that he should have played in that Cup Final.

I hope the picture below shows on this post. It''s the Bournemouth team that famously beat Margate 11-0 in the cup when Ted MacDougall scored 9! I have posted it on here before but see if you can recognise all those players that ended up here. They were a hell of a side for a division 3 team!

AFCB 1971/72

[/quote]

John Bond, Mel Machin, John  enson, Ken Brown, Phil Boyer, Ted McDougall.

Have I missed any?

NN - I was at CR when Conlon scored 2 goals against Leicester in a 3-0 victory - I think it was a Boxing Day fixture.Certainly the high point of an otherwise undistinguished City career.Ken Mallender was Lol Morgan''s cousin and you are correct he was signed at the same time as Geoff Butler who had been the subject of (at the time and for a fullback) big money moves of over £55/60k from Middlesborough to Chelsea to Sunderland and reputedly around half that to come to Norwich. (The first match with both in the side was a 0-3 home reverse to Millwall!)I''ll always remember his last minute headed goal (a real collectors item, so much so, I initially thought it must have been a Peters special) at the Old Den during a tense end of season promotion run in.Millwall were themselves in real danger of being relegated and with genuine menace in the air, it was not the time to break out into celebrations!In all my time watching City (Ken Oxford was in goal for my first match) I think Malcolm Lucas was one of the finest players ever to wear the City shirt.I loved the class and style of Ollie Burton but Lucas had those attributes allied to real power.I feel priviledged to have seen Denis Law play at the very top of his game on a number of occasions and I also remember vividly the City games where Mal Lucas (with his chest thrust out) singlehandedly ran the show from midfield.Orient away in a 3-2 victory against his old club where Gerry Mannion absolutely roasted ex. City fullback Colin Worrell would be my pick.When I went to City games with non affiliated friends, Mal Lucas was always the player picked out for special plaudits.I find it disapponting that down the years, his contribution to the cause has hardly ever been commented on in these threads.

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

AFCB 1971/72

[/quote]

Have I missed any?

[/quote]I think I can see Tony Powell and Kevin Reeves in there Kathy !

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

David Cross was quite possibly the best target man in the country throughout the 70''s. We heard about his signing at a night game

I remember Geoff Butler I seem to remember us signing Ken Mallender on the same day? [/quote]

Nutty:

David Cross: Think the evening game may have been v Burnley who were promotion favourites in the autumn of ''71. It was a lovely balmy evening and the pitch bright emerald in the floodlights. In which case I think we  won 3-0 and never really looked back after that. We were desperate for a striker to be signed and when it was announced everyone standing in the south stand turned and asked "Who?"!! Think it was the next season he and Foggo walloped Blackpool(?).

Mallender and Butler - both had a bit of class and were (or should have been) automatic picks for the team. Albert Bennett - big lad in his famous white boots, again seemed to have some quality in those feet and never let us down - but I thought he sometimes lacked a bit of aggression for a top striker - no doubt he was a nicer chap for that! And don''t forget a certain David Stringer from those days: like Mal Lucas, not flash but ever dependable and I recall my mate on the journey home in his Vauxhall Viva often saying: "I thought Stringer had a good game!. That was after we had waxed lyrical over the likes of Kenny Foggo (didn''t we just love him?) and the great Graham Paddon. "Really you know" (as Mr Waller would no doubt have said) - the likes of McDougall, Boyer, Machin et al were lucky to join such a side!

By the way, my strongest memory of Curran was at Chelsea in the cup when he fisted the ball into the net when he could so easily have headed it. We lost 0-1 I think.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Signed as nutty says, at a supporters club dinner (for £25,000) 1967,

[/quote]

Can anybody remember:

a) Stan Springall (secretary of the supoorters club)?

b) The green cushions that once in a while, flew out of the main stand onto the pitch?

c) The large scoreboard at the River End / South Stand corner

d) The match at Watford at the end of the season we were promoted to the top division for the first time

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]NN - I was at CR when Conlon scored 2 goals against Leicester in a 3-0 victory - I think it was a Boxing Day fixture.
Certainly the high point of an otherwise undistinguished City career.
Ken Mallender was Lol Morgan''s cousin and you are correct he was signed at the same time as Geoff Butler who had been the subject of (at the time and for a fullback) big money moves of over £55/60k from Middlesborough to Chelsea to Sunderland and reputedly around half that to come to Norwich. (The first match with both in the side was a 0-3 home reverse to Millwall!)
I''ll always remember his last minute headed goal (a real collectors item, so much so, I initially thought it must have been a Peters special) at the Old Den during a tense end of season promotion run in.
Millwall were themselves in real danger of being relegated and with genuine menace in the air, it was not the time to break out into celebrations!
In all my time watching City (Ken Oxford was in goal for my first match) I think Malcolm Lucas was one of the finest players ever to wear the City shirt.
I loved the class and style of Ollie Burton but Lucas had those attributes allied to real power.
I feel priviledged to have seen Denis Law play at the very top of his game on a number of occasions and I also remember vividly the City games where Mal Lucas
(with his chest thrust out) singlehandedly ran the show from midfield.
Orient away in a 3-2 victory against his old club where Gerry Mannion absolutely roasted ex. City fullback Colin Worrell would be my pick.
When I went to City games with non affiliated friends, Mal Lucas was always the player picked out for special plaudits.
I find it disapponting that down the years, his contribution to the cause has hardly ever been commented on in these threads.

[/quote]

Sounds like you are from a similar era to me Bernard. It was Ken Oxford or Ken Nethercott alternating in goal when I first started.

I always thought Mallender was a good centre half but I think he fell out of favour when Ron Saunders became manager. I have to agree with you about Ollie Burton and Mal Lucas, both were fine players in a truly dire period of football at Carrow Road. I have a vivid memory of Mal Lucas running through to score as the opposition moved out trying to catch our forwards offside. I know it was at the Barclay End but I''ve forgotten the team we were playing. Mal was a clever player and was always alive to things like that.

In my opinion the 60''s when we were in the old division two was a really uninspiring time for Norwich City fans. We seemed to finish in a mid to low position every season and never looked like getting promotion until Saunders came. There were some truly awful seasons when the gates dropped below 10,000. I remember a midweek game against Middlesboro when less than 7,500 turned up, it hardly seems possible now. The high points were the F.A. cup games when we won at old Trafford and the 40,000 plus crowds against Wednesday and Leicester.

Hopefully we will get a few more memories now that some more oldtimers have joined the forum.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

AFCB 1971/72

[/quote]

Have I missed any?

[/quote]

Yes Kathy ...John Bond, Mel Machin, John Benson, Ken Brown Phil Boyer and Ted MacDougall are all there for sure. And so is Tony Powell Lapp. David Jones is there too although I think it would be too early for Kevin Reeves, Kevin Bond and Mark Nightingale who I think would still have been schoolboys. Two others who could be there the goalkeeper Fred Davies and John Sainty who came here as coaches. I''m not sure if that keeper is Davies it''s 36 years ago! What I do know is the 13 names I have just typed all ended up at Norwich although MacDougall, Jones and Nightingale came via other clubs.

[quote user="Canary Nut"][quote user="lappinitup"]

Signed as nutty says, at a supporters club dinner (for £25,000) 1967,

[/quote]

Can anybody remember:

a) Stan Springall (secretary of the supoorters club)?

b) The green cushions that once in a while, flew out of the main stand onto the pitch?

c) The large scoreboard at the River End / South Stand corner

d) The match at Watford at the end of the season we were promoted to the top division for the first time

[/quote]

Yes to all 4 CN.

Regarding the green cushions, I think the time they came on in their hundreds was during an evening game against Bristol City. It was a truly dire match with a gate less than 10,000. The cushions on the pitch was the most exciting thing that happened that night.

The large scoreboard was the only way you could find out the half time scores in those days. A guy used to come out of the little door and hang painted numbers on hooks below a line of letters (A B C etc) You had to have a programme in order to know what teams the letters represented.

The Watford game at the end of that season was played in a dreadfull rainstorm. We were in the open end getting soakedbut stormed across the pitch to take the covered end from the Watford supporters................................. (Bloody hooligans I hear you all shout.) A wonderful day ended when the city team threw their shorts and socks into the crowd assembled on the pitch after the match.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

AFCB 1971/72

[/quote]

Have I missed any?

[/quote]

Yes Kathy ...John Bond, Mel Machin, John Benson, Ken Brown Phil Boyer and Ted MacDougall are all there for sure. And so is Tony Powell Lapp. David Jones is there too although I think it would be too early for Kevin Reeves, Kevin Bond and Mark Nightingale who I think would still have been schoolboys. Two others who could be there the goalkeeper Fred Davies and John Sainty who came here as coaches. I''m not sure if that keeper is Davies it''s 36 years ago! What I do know is the 13 names I have just typed all ended up at Norwich although MacDougall, Jones and Nightingale came via other clubs.

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

Can anybody remember:

[/quote]

Just to be picky - we''d already won promotion for the first time in midweek at Orient, when I think virtually every away fan invaded the pitch calling for Ron Saunders. At Watford we secured the championship - and Watford, who played well and held us to a draw, got relegated: Stringer scored I believe.

Yes, one of the first across the pitch to take the Rookery (and get out of the terrential rain) with a reported 16,000 canaries amongst the 22,000 crowd.

One or two other players from the Conlon/Bennett era I enjoyed watching (apart from the Foggo, Manning, Curran forward line mentioned earlier) was Peter Vasper in goal.  Rarely got a game due to the Indian Rubber Man but occassional appearences confirmed we had our very own Garry Sprake.  Seem to remember a back two of Sharpe and Brown in the late 60''s and as has been said earlier with Mal Lucus solid in midfield.  Kenning on the wing around ''67?

My pick of the midfield in the mid to late 60''s was wee Tommy Bryeland (the song of the day suggested he was better than Eusabio).  In the Mulryne/Fozzy mould but could command a game when on form.  Not in the class of the latter day Chippy but then who was/is?  Another favorite was "Charlie Charlie Crickmore on the wing" who didn''t last too long with the club but took some of the pressure of Foggo. 

Good days of honest, hard, and lowly paid footballers.......pullovers for goals.....

Funny what the passage of time can do ricardo - there were some fine players that I have especially fond memories of representing the Club in the early part of the 60s!Ron Davies (best ever no 9), Kevin Keelan (best ever no 1), Tommy Bryceland, Gerry Mannion, Gordon Bolland, Hugh Curran, Mal Lucas, Ollie Burton, (and eventually) Terry Anderson, plus overlaps from the 50s the incomparable Jimmy Hill (best ever no 10), Barry Butler (best ever no 5), Terry Allcock and Billy Punton. I think you can pick one hell of a team out of that lot!Despite a career tragically cut short by injury, I would also add Phil Kelly to the list. The housekeeper at my first job was Arthur Banner, a resolute full back for West Ham and Orient in the 50s who was still peripherally involved with the pro game. He came to the Orient away match I referred to (he knew Ron Ashman well) and said he''d never seen a ''catch pigeons'' full back faster than Phil Kelly! Another player with a career much abbreviated by injury and like Kelly a full back, was Barry Staton - he looked like he had all the makings to be a top defender.I guess the Macaulay ''pure football'' template evaporated when Ron Ashman''s managerial reign came to an end?

[quote user="BDCSid"]

Yes, one of the first across the pitch to take the Rookery (and get out of the terrential rain) with a reported 16,000 canaries amongst the 22,000 crowd.

One or two other players from the Conlon/Bennett era I enjoyed watching (apart from the Foggo, Manning, Curran forward line mentioned earlier) was Peter Vasper in goal.  Rarely got a game due to the Indian Rubber Man but occassional appearences confirmed we had our very own Garry Sprake.  Seem to remember a back two of Sharpe and Brown in the late 60''s and as has been said earlier with Mal Lucus solid in midfield.  Kenning on the wing around ''67?

My pick of the midfield in the mid to late 60''s was wee Tommy Bryeland (the song of the day suggested he was better than Eusabio).  In the Mulryne/Fozzy mould but could command a game when on form.  Not in the class of the latter day Chippy but then who was/is?  Another favorite was "Charlie Charlie Crickmore on the wing" who didn''t last too long with the club but took some of the pressure of Foggo. 

Good days of honest, hard, and lowly paid footballers.......pullovers for goals.....

[/quote]

[8] Keelan is better than Yashin........

When we went to Watford at the beginning of the month there were loads of us reminiscing about 1972 and the events of that day. It seemed that every City fan over 50 that night had a story to tell. I have been loads of times since but for some reason this season I kept bumping into people who wanted to talk about that famous day nearly 36 years ago. I think being at Watford in 1972 is like a badge for those of us lucky enough to be there. The game finished 1-1 this month just like the game in 1972. We wore red on both occasions too. In fact back in 71/2 we finished top and they finished bottom but both fixtures were draws. Of course the one big difference this time was that the away fans start the game in The Rookery now.

My first game at Carrow Road was in 1967 and although those years were obviously quite dull for those who had the excitement of the late 50''s they were very special to me. My favourite players from my first games were Hugh Curran, Mal Lucas, Kevin Keelan and Tommy Bryceland. Throughout the following 40 years they have compared well with others and have stood the test of time.

Does anyone else remember an Easter Monday game against Huddersfield in the late 60''s just after we had sold Hughie Curran? John Manning was injured so Terry Allcock made a comeback at centre forward and scored the only goal of the game. The Barclay sung Terry Terry La La La that day! I remember going to the fair afterwards and sneaking in to see Rhona The Rat Girl.. that was quite exciting for a 12 year old boy too!! [:$]

I remember that Alcock goal very well nutty. I had been telling my workmates for ages we should recall Alcock ( admittedly it was all tongue in cheek) so you can imagine my delight when he was picked. And then to cap it all he got that goal (the best I''ve EVER seen at CR [:D]). The poor souls were reminded of it for months ! Good days.

Yes Bernard I agree Phil was a very good full back and very fast too but I think Denis Morgan was better and faster , I know I was very young when I saw him play and I know hero worship betrays your views and clouds your judgement somewhat but I would like to hear your views on him as well as some of the other posters that remember him . How ironic it was that a player that relied on his pace so much should lose a leg at such an early age. arrdee.

I refuse to believe that there is not one poster on this board apart from myself who remembers Mr. J.H.Phillips of Deopham from those days.

Especially from amongst you lot (distinguished veterans [:)]) on this thread.

OTBC

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

Can anybody remember:

[/quote]

Just to be picky - we''d already won promotion for the first time in midweek at Orient, when I think virtually every away fan invaded the pitch calling for Ron Saunders. At Watford we secured the championship - and Watford, who played well and held us to a draw, got relegated: Stringer scored I believe.

[/quote]

Thats why I didnt say we won promotion at Watford.  That was the season we got promoted to the top division for the first time and Watford away  happened to be at the end of that season.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I refuse to believe that there is not one poster on this board apart from myself who remembers Mr. J.H.Phillips of Deopham from those days.

OTBC

[/quote]

I remember him Bly.

He used to write controversial letters to the press every week and I remember he was quite a doom monger at times.

He letters and views were quite provocative and I believe ECN eventually gave him a column in the Pinkun.

(Thanks for the Distinguished Veteran comment, I hope it includes me)

Yes, was there for the Terry Alcock goal.  Started going regularly at the start of the season in ''67 as a teenager but had attended many games in the early to mid 60''s.  First home game was Preston that year if memory serves me well.

Great days when Hughie was top of the countries goal scoring charts.  One of the few players I''ve see score with a bullet header from the edge of the box (v Cardiff) of which I still have a photo somewhere hidden away.  His hatrick in the League Cup at Portaloo Road in ''68 made him a legend.  My first trip to that ground (and in the North Stand) and what a night.  Our first ever away game in the top flight was back there with another victory.

Remember beating Bolton at home 1-0 (Bryan Conlon I think) and the game was so boring we all sat down in the Barclay.  I duly made myself comfortable as possible and fell asleep.   Also remember cycling across the city in terrential rain to watch city beat Bristol City (topical for today) 4-1 (Peter Silvester 2?) in front of the lowest post war crowd?  6,700? 

As a regular contributer to the Fanzine (of which a special one-off is coming out for the Burnley game) I wrote a tribute to my favorite player ever to grace the yellow shirt.  He was from Keighley in Yorkshire, short and aggressive and was the reason we stayed up in the top league in ''73.  Played only 13 games in which we only won 9 points (but it was THE 9 points that kept us up) but I''d put him alongside Martin Peters and Chippy in my top three midfielders.  Remember his name?  If anybody wanted it I could post the tribute on here.

Arrdee, fraid no real recollection of Denis Morgan from those very early (for us!) days.Players who stood out in my first matches were the always immaculate looking Reg Foulkes, Peter Gordon, Martin Regan, Dennis Pickwick, Ralph Hunt, Kens Oxford and Nethercott.I guess the impact was all visual then and for me, the real star of the show was not even the players, but those fantastic pure silk shirts (until they got stained with sweat!).(What a contrast to the circus strips we have to endure now.)I started a thread about a year ago trying to find out who was named after City players - the result was for me surprisingly tepid.Perhaps because I hoped I wasn''t the only one and as this seems to be an appropriate platform to come out for the second time - I''m named after Bernard Robinson! (Thanks dad.)Think I''d have even preferred the Tudor in Ronald T. Davies...

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I remember him Bly, although if you had would have asked me his location for some reason I want to say Reepham. I''m sure you''re correct because my memory is playing tricks now but I have no knowledge of Reepham other than it just pops up in my head relative to Mr. Phillips.

[quote user="BDCSid"]

As a regular contributer to the Fanzine (of which a special one-off is coming out for the Burnley game) I wrote a tribute to my favorite player ever to grace the yellow shirt.  He was from Keighley in Yorkshire, short and aggressive and was the reason we stayed up in the top league in ''73.  Played only 13 games in which we only won 9 points (but it was THE 9 points that kept us up) but I''d put him alongside Martin Peters and Chippy in my top three midfielders.  Remember his name?  If anybody wanted it I could post the tribute on here.

[/quote]

If you don''t want to post the tribute on me you can certainly email it to me. I know you are talking about the late great Trevor Hockey. Yes he only played 13 times for our club but he left such a lasting impression on those of us who saw him play. Years later I met the great man when my son won a football coaching holiday at Pontins in 1984. I have photo''s of him with my son wearing one of his international caps. He took a shine to my son because he was the youngest there and I remember him saving a seat next to him one evening for a referees talk. All the boys on the course had the utmost respect for him as you can imagine! When I talked to him he had so many good things to say about Ron Saunders, Dave Stringer and Duncan Forbes and the Norwich City of his day.

Trevor Hockey played for Wales because his father was born there and I believe he was one of the first to play under those rules. He struck me as a very proud man who lived for his football. His wife, who we met too, I remember was a footballer. And of course he played against all the great players of his day which he was also very proud of. He died in his native Keighley when he was still only 43, still wearing his football kit after a five a side.

A true legend for me.

[quote user="BDCSid"]

[/quote]

If you don''t want to post the tribute on here you can certainly email it to me. I know you are talking about the late great Trevor Hockey. Yes he only played 13 times for our club but he left such a lasting impression on those of us who saw him play. Years later I met the great man when my son won a football coaching holiday at Pontins in 1984. I have photo''s of him with my son wearing one of his international caps. He took a shine to my son because he was the youngest there and I remember him saving a seat next to him one evening for a referees talk. All the boys on the course had the utmost respect for him as you can imagine! When I talked to him he had so many good things to say about Ron Saunders, Dave Stringer and Duncan Forbes and the Norwich City of his day.

Trevor Hockey played for Wales because his father was born there and I believe he was one of the first to play under those rules. He struck me as a very proud man who lived for his football. His wife, who we met too, I remember was a footballer. And of course he played against all the great players of his day which he was also very proud of. He died in his native Keighley when he was still only 43, still wearing his football kit after a five a side.

A true legend for me.

Something sticks out in my mind from those early days and that was of a player who played with a white bandage from his wrist to his elbow on his left? arm. If my memory serves me correctly, this was a permanent feature rather than a short term injury. I am pretty sure that the player involved was Johnny Summers but it would be nice if one of you could throw some light on it.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Something sticks out in my mind from those early days and that was of a player who played with a white bandage from his wrist to his elbow on his left? arm. If my memory serves me correctly, this was a permanent feature rather than a short term injury. I am pretty sure that the player involved was Johnny Summers but it would be nice if one of you could throw some light on it.

[/quote]

I wonder if you are thinking of Tommy Johnstone, who had a withered arm from an injury he recieved while working in the coal mines.

I think he always wore a bandage on his lower left arm.

A good cemtre forward though I don''t remember much about him other than he scored both goals in an away FA Cup victory at Arsenal. I also remember seeing him play against us when he moved to Leyton Orient. Possibly 1955 or 56. My dad rated him very highly.