Sign in to follow this  
Rosarios fan club

Last night's atmosphere

I was able to get tickest last night for a group of us in the Community Stand and was looking forward to the game. Overall I was left a little disappointed with how we played, Roeder will need to be given the opportunity during the summer to spend spend spend, as the one dimensional reliance on hoofing the ball up to Dublin proved to be a dead parrot approach.

My main problem was the atmosphere. Obviously the Family Enclosure was never going to have much noise coming from it, but my god the River End was shockingly quiet! At times I expected someone to tell me off for shouting support or yelling at the referee.Was the expectancy of a victory by the fans reflected in the player''s performance as neither of these stuck in my mind for positive reasons? As a veteran of the Barclay I wasn''t expecting the ground to be jumping from all sides but I''m sure a bit of vocal support would have helped the players. Has the gentrification of football ruined the atmosphere for good???

well apart from the ipswich game i thought that was the best game for atmosphere all season, the fans were fantastic, well in the barclay and snake pit. but all of the home games have lacked atmosphere in my opinion

The Barclay''s definitely the place to sit - from my seat not only was there plenty of noise, but it looked to me like we were at least trying to play a passing game on the ground - I don''t recognise the one-dimensional hoofball you describe. And I''m sure the silence of the River End is nothing to do with gentrification - they''ve always been like that. Now the Jarrold is another matter...  

[quote user="Mazy Run"]The Barclay''s definitely the place to sit - from my seat not only was there plenty of noise, but it looked to me like we were at least trying to play a passing game on the ground - I don''t recognise the one-dimensional hoofball you describe. And I''m sure the silence of the River End is nothing to do with gentrification - they''ve always been like that. Now the Jarrold is another matter...  [/quote]

I think you`ll find the snake pit is definitely the place to sit!

People seem to forget that the River End is a family area. Little kids are hardly going to be standing up and singing all the time.

[quote user="Fellas"]People seem to forget that the River End is a family area. Little kids are hardly going to be standing up and singing all the time.
[/quote]

From the Jarrold stand you could hear the occasional "wwoooooooah - your spit aaaaaaaaah" from the little darlings in the River end.  I guess their voices don''t carry so well.  The river end was quieter than the Barclay even in the early 80s, although I''m sure it was louder than it seems to be now ( nostalgia alert ).  When the Hull goal went in you could have heard a pin drop, which I found disappointing.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Fellas"]People seem to forget that the River End is a family area. Little kids are hardly going to be standing up and singing all the time.
[/quote]

From the Jarrold stand you could hear the occasional "wwoooooooah - your spit aaaaaaaaah" from the little darlings in the River end.  I guess their voices don''t carry so well.  The river end was quieter than the Barclay even in the early 80s, although I''m sure it was louder than it seems to be now ( nostalgia alert ).  When the Hull goal went in you could have heard a pin drop, which I found disappointing.

[/quote]

You are quite right, we used to sing from the Barclay to the River end, sing up the river end, and they did reply lol. [:)]

It wasn''t too bad in the 70s Trent, always seemed to be a packed standing terrace with singing (and rattles!). Of course once I was allowed to go to football on my own I went into the Barclay.

For me the River End has been quiet for many a year, probably reflecting the largely family/elderly fans who sit there.

I am puzzled by the South Stand though, seems to be a fair amount of 20-40 year olds in there, and right next to the away fans too. If the Snakepit can be born out of nothing in the corner of the City Stand and be loud, why not the South Stand?

Having said that though, the whole ground seems to go mad when we score.

Sadly, it is true. The River End has been a morgue since the 80s. I used to sit there just for supersticious reasons, we always lost when I went anywhere else. But, after the quiet that sometimes greeted our promotion season, I just had to leave. Now I''m just an occasional visitor, it''s the Pit for me.