Sign in to follow this  
Al Yellow

Summer '08 international free zone

Unless the various home FAs get together and arrange a home nations tournament....... It makes sense the English FA need the cash and it''s a good competitive tournament experience for the Celtic nations. Perhaps invite the Republic along too and call it the British Isles cup or Britain and Ireland cup? As a Scotland fan living down here I know the intense rivalry and passion between the nations. This tournament could be great ...... Get posting on message boards, get writing to the various FA''s, get the tabloids involved ...... This makes sense ....... Plus for all the England fans do you really want your over paid ''stars'' sitting on the beach counting their cash or would you rather they rediscover the passion and pride which should be international football? The rugby 6 nations is full of pride, passion and committment, a football 5 nations could be too.

Three things;

Could give the new manager opportunity to get ready for the World Cup qualification games.

Could also lead to further humiliation as the other ''home'' nations always seem better prepared and managed than England.

Cannot see premiership managers being whoelhearted in their support. With the money in the premiership, the clubs are having more and more say in whether their players can play in seemingly meaningless games, especially at the end of a long premiership campaign.

Saying that, I would still watch!

I think you''ll find the FA have already thought of this idea, im sure I heard it on the BBC news last week.  Good idea I think.

The various FA''s would earn a decent amount of cash from any tournament, much need in all cases but even more so for the english FA who must be facing a massive loss after failing to qualify ......

I don''t see how a genuine competition of local derbies honestly competed, reinforcing the genuine idea of representing and taking pride in your country leaves anyone facing humiliation. If players are seen to throw themselves body and soul into a performance, put themselves on the line, then you can''t question them. If not, then yes that''s a fair point. I''m saying perhaps a home nations championship will be a chance to add that extra passion, pride, drive, spice.

It makes sense for all the home nations ......

[quote user="Al Yellow"] The rugby 6 nations is full of pride, passion and committment, a football 5 nations could be too.[/quote]

Players arent paid for playing for their country in rugby... they are infootball.. and thats the preblem..

dont pay the players and u''ll see who really does have a sense of National pride.. the guys who play for england are the ones who want too.. not the ones trying to inflate their wallets

jas :)

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Our players should be taken to an desert island for two weeks and for seven hours a day someone should fire a football at them from ten yards as hard as they can at varying heights. After two weeks any of the leaden footed half wits who still takes more than one touch to get the ball under control should be left there.

Simple really [;)].

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Al Yellow"] The rugby 6 nations is full of pride, passion and committment, a football 5 nations could be too.[/quote]

Players arent paid for playing for their country in rugby... they are infootball.. and thats the preblem..

dont pay the players and u''ll see who really does have a sense of National pride.. the guys who play for england are the ones who want too.. not the ones trying to inflate their wallets

[/quote]

Exactly, wages are way too high in English football to make it work. We could always field either (A) our U21s or (B) a Championship-based England XI. Only problems with these options is the other nations will feel we''re being "arrogant" fielding effectively 2nd-string teams for the British Isles Championship.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]I think you''ll find that the England football team do get paid a match fee but they all donate it to various charities. What really bugs me is that everyone is so upset about our lack of qualification but several months ago we were actually competing in a football world cup and nobody cared, because it was women playing the football! I agree though that the home internationals would be a great idea, which is probably why they won''t happen the FA aren''t big on great idea''s

Oh well looks like you lot missed the boat ........ http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7107705.stm

The Celtic cup is to be played from February and features Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. It''s likely to be played every other year ...... Don''t forget to tune in it''ll be great with or without England but it would be nice if we could see all the teams from these islands involved ......