Sign in to follow this  
tommy

could hucks play upfront??

hucks is available for tues night. pattison played very well on his debut and i can understand not changing a winning side. dublin seemed to get a knock and at 38yrs may not be 100% for the blackpool game. i wonder if hucks could play upfront with jamie?? hucks is the most creative player in the side and can make things happen, just like saturday with the team we could see a new hucks under roeder!. i wouldnt change the midfield so wondered what others think. can hucks and jamie form a good partnership?? or will roeder  use either brown or evans if dublin is not fit. the problem is brown just isnt a goal scorer, dublin cant play week in week out for 90mins because of his age and evans is unproven at this level. i know alot will say hucks is better on the left and cant play upfront but he has played upfront before and scored  goals like last season when  earnie was injured. i think maybe they could play together upfront. it would certinally stop us playin the long ball and move the ball through the midfield instead. both hucks and jamie have good pace and both have good goalscoring records in this division. a midfield or pattison, fozzy, russell, chadwick and jamie and hucks upfront would that work? what do others think?? ?

Hucks has proved over and over again that he can only play on the left side of midfield.  Every time he''s been put up front he''s been inneffective.  More to the point, Cureton needs someone to feed off and that isn''t Hucks.  If you''re stuck for someone to play up front with Cureton then what about Evans - after all, he''s not justifying his loan fee by sitting on the bench.  We''ve finally won after 12 games - don''t be too quick to break up a winning team just to bring Huckerby back.  I''d have him on the bench but no more than that.

He played upfront in our promotion season and was awesome also in man citys promotion season and was again awesome so yes is the answer in my opinion aslong as you can stop him drifting back to the left

Dont you remember he started up top for the QPR game. Then he got stressed and had an argument with Grant and led the on pich revolt! He went back to the left and every one was disorganised!

It was meant to be him and Martin up front!

Thats why u see all those pics of Grant with his head in his hands because he knew the he was gone!

Grant went cos he lost Hucks...i have no respect for him since that!

I seem to remember Hucks and Svennson forming a formidible front-two during the latter end of our promotion winning season.Doubt that Curo and Hucks would be the right combination for a front-two though... I''m sure Glenn will figure it all out. Maybe play a 4-4-1, then have Hucks as a utility man on a go-anywhere, terrorise-them-from-wherever-you-like role

Also his partnership and goals with Martin last season more than covered earnies absence and ensure we got enough points to stay up

As ZLF points out, he most certainly can still play up front - with the right partner. I wonder if Evans could be that man?

This is brilliant. It gives so many options - big man/little man (e.g.DD & JC), big man/big man (DD & CB/DS), little man/little man (from Hux/Evans/JC), plus Martin might still get his act together. The combination could be changed during the match if necessary. So many possibilities.

Getting excited now ....

[quote user="The Anonymous One"]Hucks has proved over and over again that he can only play on the left side of midfield.  Every time he''s been put up front he''s been inneffective.  More to the point, Cureton needs someone to feed off and that isn''t Hucks.  If you''re stuck for someone to play up front with Cureton then what about Evans - after all, he''s not justifying his loan fee by sitting on the bench.  We''ve finally won after 12 games - don''t be too quick to break up a winning team just to bring Huckerby back.  I''d have him on the bench but no more than that.[/quote]

How do you figure that it has been proved he can only play left midfield?  He scored over 20 goals in a season for Man City playing up front.  I would say he is more than capable of playing up front and a 1 in 3 strike rate in the Prem for Coventry would back this up.  It is only at City he has left midfield and that has been causing us problems for 3 seasons now.  He drifts wide yes but so does Henry, you never saw him playing midfield for Arsenal.

So how has it become accepted by many posters here (and by Neil Adams) that "Huckerby is only effective on the left of midfield"? I''ve always thought it was B0110cks, and that it was Hux himself pushing that line. The evidence is clear that he has been very effective in other positions (as a forward or on the right wing), but he''s gradually imposed his own ideas, and when he''s asked to fit in somewhere else, he often goes into his shell or sulks. Then when it fails, the manager gets panned. It''ll be a major step if Roeder gets him to play effectively in some other position.