Sign in to follow this  
moobag

favourite match

i was wondering what everybody classed as their fave match, not the best just their fave?
Mine was the last day of the Kop at Anfield.
What was great was the atmosphere & The Kop chanting & cheering for NCFC, which i believe stemed from our players trying to stop one of theirs getting sent off in a previous match.
This is the only game i have ever been to that after 90 mins the result didn''t matter (1-0 city to the "Jumpy band wagon people")

Not exactly my ''favourite'', but one that sticks in my mind, and actually makes me feel quite good remembering the day, was losing 5-0 at Ip*****.

Hear me out!

It was my first away derby, and even though we got stuffed, I thought to myself, ''Nothing, not even losing 5-0 away at our biggest rivals, in a horrible little town full of London overspill, will stop me from supporting my team. I love this club, and I''ll support them forever.''

I knew then that I was a proper fan, and not a fairweather one.

OTBC

you are singing from my hymn sheet mg7

nothing like a good bashing by the scum to make you realise where your priorities lie, never mind eh, got them well and truly stuffed last season eh!!! the binners i know still haven''t got over mckenzie''s double ha ha

lots of similar good trashings over the year, but going 4-0 down at half time to preston a couple of years ago - and not then leaving!!!! that really took some doing, but i guess the older you get, the more tolerant of a few hiccups you become :-)

and when you get the good times........ it is doubly good

One of my most memorable memories was when I was working in Pakistan, clinging to the World Service coverage (Sports Report etc) for the results when City were flying in the Premier League''s first season. To listen to get the best reception you had to have satellite and the British Embassy club did! Me and some mates rushed to the clubhouse to turn on the radio only to be greeted by the sight of a couple of missionary teachers (I kid you not) tuned into a recording of Songs of Praise! To my everlasting shame I asked the poor folks if they would not mind delaying their worship and turned over to the World Service without waiting for an answer...having boasted about the high flying Canaries and how they would have turned over Blackburn - only to listen to the dulcet tones of the World Service presenter gleefully describing City''s 7-0 drubbing! God''s revenge or what?!!!!

I know it''s very fresh in my memory but I just loved the Preston game last season. It had almost everything and the colour and noise around FCR and in the ground was indescribable. The scenes of unbridled joy at the end, coupled with the raw emotion of saying goodbye to Iwan - those feelings and sights will go with me to the grave, just as Iwan said they would for him. It will be difficult to beat that one for me as an overall experience, for sure.

Beating Southampton 2-1 in the FA Cup 1/4 Final was a gem, with Big Rob Newman swinging his left boot for the winner in the 80-somethingth minute - Magic...

Another is Sutton Utd 8-0 - in the FA Cup too, funnily enough. They did a lap of honour at the end and got a standing ovation from FCR... Little Malcolm Allen was on fire that day with 4 goals...

There are so many Old Trafford boxing day 86" ah I travelled up there with a Manc to make the return journey Sweeter. Anfield 0-1 (Andy Townsend ?). Chelsea 0-3 (the Game that sold Robert Fleck)

But without doubt my Fave game (It may have been different if I could have made it to Munich) was the Legendary first game of the 92 season at Highbury.

2 Nil down at half time we weren''t even dissapointed they were favourites for the Championship we were Favourites for the drop.

Enter Mark Robins on his debut.

4-2 Final score. to be honest I cant imagine this game will ever be eclipsed.

Let the good times roll !

Not necessarily my favourite but certainly memorable:

Norwich 2-1 Newcastle in the premier league - it was played on new year''s eve 1994 I think and was the last game norwich won in the premier league if i recall correctly. We were mid table at the time, but it all went wrong after this game.

My Dad won 2 tickets through the yarmouth mercury (bonus) and we were 2 up inside 10 minutes - something no-one could quite believe. A certain andy marshall produced some outstanding saves as a maurauding newcastle team tried to level the score.

Everyone went home happy after that game, but little did we know that 9 years of dismay were to follow...

Norwich 2 Liverpool 1

Drinkell scored in the 88th minute if I remember correctly...

It was the mid eighties and I was just the right age (about 14) to almost pee my pants with glee!!!

It was scored at the Barclay end.....

.....oh oh oh fantastic!

OTBC

Away to Everton 92-93. We won 1-0 with Chris Sutton scoring at the away end. Bryan Gunn was fantastic that day, but what I really remember was Sunderland fans coming in before kick-off because their game at Tranmere was called off. They really made the atmosphere that day as that used to be a big away end at Goodison and they packed it out.
I remember in that Sutton Utd match when Fleck completed his hat-trick, the Sutton keeper actually shook super Bob''s hand! On a sad note though, didn''t 2 Sutton fans lose theit lives in a car accident on the way up to FCR?

It''s a very tough call - Vitesse Arnhem at home, Burnley away from this season just gone, Everton at home when Walker came back with his new team.....all were good in their own way. But for a game which will always, always stick in the mind, it has to be the play-off semi-final at home to Wolves.......what an atmosphere, what a second half performance, rammed right down the arrogant Wolves fans throats.......awesome!

You got in before me Temp!

Burnley away last year has to snatch it for me just ahead of the Bayern home leg. 3-2 at half time, all sloppy goals to concede, we cheered the boys off at half time. I will always remember Malky''s face as he went down the tunnel (below the away fans) and the bemused look on his face. Shouldn''t we have been booing them? After all it was probably worst half of defending all season in terms of the mistakes made by our back four...

I was convinced that we would win that game and they came out and tore Burnley apart in the second half. 5-3 flattered Burnley in the end and we could have had many more. The one regret was that the Big Man missed a chance on the final whistle which would have put the cherry on the icing on the cake.

I remembered thinking afterwards that the players could hear us singing at the end underneath the stand (the dressing room was below us) and like us they must have been on a massive high. It seemed that day as if we were the best team on the planet - the kind of buzz only football can give you and after that day promotion seemed like something we could dare to reach out and touch at last.