Sign in to follow this  
blacko

Norwich seeded

Apparently we are seeded for the next round of the cup and will only play a team from below us in the league last year!

Never heard of seeding before in football.  However I''m sure that the competition is split into North and South sections for the first round, hence we drew Barnet.  Beyond that I think it''s open and we can play anyone?  Premiership teams not involved in Europe thrown into the mix too if memory serves me correctly.

[quote user="sig"]Never heard of seeding before in football.  However I''m sure that the competition is split into North and South sections for the first round, hence we drew Barnet.  Beyond that I think it''s open and we can play anyone?  Premiership teams not involved in Europe thrown into the mix too if memory serves me correctly.[/quote]

No, its definately seeded. The list of seeds are as follows:

Reading
Portsmouth
Aston Villa
Middlesbrough
Newcastle United
Manchester City
West Ham United
Fulham
Wigan Athletic
Sheffield United
Charlton Athletic
Watford
Sunderland
Birmingham City
Derby County
West Brom
Plymouth Argyle
Cardiff City
Burnley
Norwich City
Coventry City
Leicester City
Barnsley
Southend United

I know that there is a seeding sytem for the first round, where any team from the Championship or the top half of last year''s League One has to play a team from League Two or the bottom half of last year''s League One. As mentioned it''s also split geographically. Not sure whether or not something similar applies for the second round.The draw will be live on Sky after the Rotherham v Sheff Wed game.