Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Why so many goalkeepers?

Marshall, Gilks, Gallacher, Arnold and Lewis (I think I have put them in a possible playing order) Why does a club like ours need five goalkeepers when we do not have the same cover in defence and midfield? We do not even play enough reserve games to keep them match fit during the season.

I know Lewis could go out on loan but can still not understand why we have so many keepers. Isn’t there an emergency loan thing that allows you to loan a keeper outside the transfer window if all yours get injured?

Marshall - 1st choice

Gilks - 2nd choice

Gallacher - Will be off loaded but also provide cover if one of the above are injured.

Lewis - Will be loaned out.

Arnold will be learning the trade playing the odd reserve game etc.....

So once Lewis has been loaned out that leaves us with 4. Gallacher goes its 3......it makes sense to me to have all of the cover.

i guess gallacher is off, hopefully anyway. Marshall and Gilks will fight it out for the first team place and Lewis and possibly Arnold will go out on loan.

Gallacher will leave if we can get rid of him; Grant doesn''t rate him. Arnold and Lewis have never played a full cap. Marshall and Gilks are 1 and 2, as far as I can tell, with Lewis as backup.... seems fine to me.

Both Arnold and Lewis are realistically still youth keepers, and Lewis is very likely to be loaned out, which if we then discount Arnold, leaves us with 3 keepers.So if Marshall gets injured, we''ve got Gilks to play with Gally on the bench.Far better to have decent cover than like last season where we were relying on loan keepers.

Lewis will go out on loan and is probably seen as one for the future and Gallagher to be sold\offloaded.

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

Marshall, Gilks, Gallacher, Arnold and Lewis (I think I have put them in a possible playing order) Why does a club like ours need five goalkeepers when we do not have the same cover in defence and midfield? We do not even play enough reserve games to keep them match fit during the season.

I know Lewis could go out on loan but can still not understand why we have so many keepers. Isn’t there an emergency loan thing that allows you to loan a keeper outside the transfer window if all yours get injured?

[/quote]I think the pecking order is more realistically Marshall, Gilks, Lewis, Gallagher, Arnold.

I''m sure if he could PG would offload Gallagher as soon as possible. Good shot stopper (mostly) - little else. I think we have that many due to the fact Gallagher clearly wasn''t good enough for what Grant wants (top 6) and so he brought in two replacements. I wouldn''t expect to see Gallagher ever play for Norwich in another competitive game excluding freak emergencies where the three others ahead of him are unavailable. I''d expect Gallagher to go as soon as possible and Lewis loaned out to League 1 side (maybe Championship but probably pushing it due to lack of experience - not doubting ability though) with an option to recall him in emergencies. With Arnold and Gilks sharing reserve team football (assuming Gilks is on the bench pretty much every game)

Was impressed by Arnold on Tuesday at Lowestoft, watched him do his warm ups and as a keeper and a coach you can see why he''s still at the club, he has good handling and reactions - couldn''t really tell from the game what he''d be like under pressure but would definately think he''s got a chance of making it pro - although probably not with us cos he''ll always be behind Joe Lewis I guess. Would be great to see him get some games in on loan this year, whatever happens we shouldn''t need to be loaning in any more keepers for a while!