Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Is the optism misplaced?

All but the usual few seem to feel that we can approach the new season with more optimism than for many years.And we are not just being carried away by the fact that PG has done what his predecessor said was impossible - achieved the bulk of his signings by mid July. In fact, but for the slightly dubious work by players'' agents making known "escape clause" details to other clubs, we might have had a settled squad by now.Even the departure of Ernie and Dickson has not daunted us - I, for one, was concerned that Ernie was not the complete striker - missing many chances and being blinkered as far as fellow strikers were concerned. His replacement by the prolific Cureton and the emerging Martin has not weakened the side. Dickson could be awesome occasionally, but could also be a liability. The arrival of Smith and Brellier and the newly fit Fozzy, with Rossi and Spillane as cover, means that we can compensate. Even if Safri goes, Brellier is more than adequate as a replacement. We probably need a further midfielder, which PG recognises and is still trying to do something about. It is clear that the lack of cover in central defence is also an issue.In almost every position there are improvements in quality and/or depth, - Otsemobor, Brellier, Marshall/Gilks, Dave S, Smith plus several youngsters who have emerged fast - Martin, Cave-Brown, Renton, Smart, Spillane, Rossi.. The result is that the vast majority of the official squad are senior or younger players who will not let us down.SO WHAT COULD GO WRONG? Or why do some of us feel that a play-off place may be beyond us?1) Other teams, especially, those with the newly enlarged parachute payments, could buy success. Others, such as Wolves, Leicester, etc, have buckets of finance. There will probably be more quality among the top five or six teams than for a few years.2) Much depends on how new players are integrated, how teams are welded together to becone effective units. This applies to the big spenders as much as to us. How soon will Dave S adapt to English conditions and develop understanding with colleagues? If this is protracted, we may have too big a task in the later season.3) Injuries - last winter, with a tiny squad, we were beset with injuries - Brown and Chadwick had hardly arrived when.... In our promotion season we were fortunate, and luck is always a major factor.4) Morale. We noticed how frustrated Hux was from the enforced sales. Feelings like this can spread through a team. PG seems to have won the respect and admiration of most fans. Now he has to do it with all his new players. For too long we have been inconsistent. He is going to have to be ruthless with any who do not pull their weight, and has made a good start by announcing that he wants players who compete with each other. Let us hope that there are no further "escape clauses" which could be activated in the January window!5) Stands Fortress CR still? It''s encouraging to see the extent of support - renewed season tickets, travelling to friendlies, confidence reported on this and other forums. We have to translate this into daunting noise and support at C.R. and volume at away games. We have it within us to lift the team, but negativity in the face of a few disappointments could pull them down.

It may well be misplaced but it''s part of football - I go into every season in the Championship thinking this time we''ll win it (I was right once in the past few years!) and that we can stay up in when in the Prem. I believe England will win the World Cup/Europeans before every tournament - it''s part of football in my opinion. You have to support your team and believe in them, otherwise what''s the point turning up? If 25,000 people turn up thinking the players are going to lose, it doesn''t give them any confidence and they probably will lose. You turn up, thinking of the win and encouraging the players to prove you right (with the occasional abusive rant when a player makes a stupid mistake!)

It may be misplaced but for me it''s what makes football great, the thought of winning and anticipation of seeing it actually happen.

Some people use football as a means to get themselves in a state, shout, swear, moan and generally be a complete (Insert Swear Word)  because it''s sort of accepted to be abusive to anything football related whereas you can''t walk around the street being like that to people without getting a good beating. Others probably use the fact that many people love football to go on internet message boards and constantly type messages that antagonise, provoke and annoy supporters of that club just to get a reaction.

[quote user="Le Juge"]

It may well be misplaced but it''s part of football - I go into every season in the Championship thinking this time we''ll win it (I was right once in the past few years!) and that we can stay up in when in the Prem. I believe England will win the World Cup/Europeans before every tournament - it''s part of football in my opinion. You have to support your team and believe in them, otherwise what''s the point turning up? If 25,000 people turn up thinking the players are going to lose, it doesn''t give them any confidence and they probably will lose. You turn up, thinking of the win and encouraging the players to prove you right (with the occasional abusive rant when a player makes a stupid mistake!)

It may be misplaced but for me it''s what makes football great, the thought of winning and anticipation of seeing it actually happen.

Some people use football as a means to get themselves in a state, shout, swear, moan and generally be a complete (Insert Swear Word)  because it''s sort of accepted to be abusive to anything football related whereas you can''t walk around the street being like that to people without getting a good beating. Others probably use the fact that many people love football to go on internet message boards and constantly type messages that antagonise, provoke and annoy supporters of that club just to get a reaction.

[/quote]

Well said, Le Juge. I agree entirely. Nobody knows how the season is going to pan out, whether we buy known quality or take a chance on youth/unknowns. Let''s just get behind the team, enjoy the football, and make Carrow Road a place the opposition fear.

This is so spot on.  Even if we moan and have doubts, we all deep down believe that we can do it, be it England or Norwich, because we know that if everything ''clicks'' then it is a possibility.

[quote user="Le Juge"]

[/quote]

Good points but as you say the last 4 points could happen to any team - Luck is so important in any sport that is low scoring,  eg football, rugby (ignore the multipliers on scores,just count the tries 1 score each, 6 scores in a game is common), hockey as opposed to basketball, tennis or cricket.   A lucky goal or try is far more likely to affect a match than a lucky point in tennis or run in cricket.The other thing is point 1 - just beacuse the players are costing more doesn''t actually mean they are buying better players.  The players that are being brought by the neuvo-rich clubs are the same ones they would have brought a couple of seasons ago - Varney/Sharpe/Eastwood would have gone to similar clubs last season, but for less money.  in the premiership the likes of Barton and Parker are moving- are these guys going to get a club into europe, which is what you would have got for that money a couple of years ago.

Very misplaced and bleedin hilarious... for the 3rd season running we do not have a hope in hell of getting promoted!!!!

"You have to support your team and believe in them, otherwise what''s the point turning up?"
"You turn up, thinking of the win and encouraging the players to prove you right"

Good points, and I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. Yes, I do believe in them, yes, I believe they can win *any* game; that is not down to the support I hold for them tho, it''s football after all, and any team can win any game... one of the reasons it''s so popular, but personally speaking I have very real expectations of what my teams are likely to achieve - especially in cup/ knockout competitions - especially England in a major tournament!!

Just because you don''t think it''s likely that your team won''t win, doesn''t mean you don''t think it''s possible for a miracle to happen - I always think a miracle can happen, even if I don''t expect it (if I did expect it - it wouldn''t be a miracle!!) - and thats what you hope, pray and support for! For example, Norwich vs Chelsea away from home, last season - did you honestly expect City to win? If you think "yes", I hate to say, you are a bit stupid, mate!! Next time we play someone like that, I want you around for a bet or two! [:)]

City had no chance really, but I still bought a ticket and went to the game and supported, hoped, pray, shouted, screamed that Huckerby would pull some magic out the bag and we''d win - THATs what footie is all about! Games like the Middlesborough game... 7 minutes from time and they go 4-1... no I didn''t expect a point, I went mental when they proved me wrong!

If you have the expectation of always winning - you can only ever be disappointed. If you have realistic expectations you can never be disappointed, and every now and again, very, very pleasantly suprised! [:)]

[quote user="ob1"]

"You have to support your team and believe in them, otherwise what''s the point turning up?"
"You turn up, thinking of the win and encouraging the players to prove you right"

Good points, and I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. Yes, I do believe in them, yes, I believe they can win *any* game; that is not down to the support I hold for them tho, it''s football after all, and any team can win any game... one of the reasons it''s so popular, but personally speaking I have very real expectations of what my teams are likely to achieve - especially in cup/ knockout competitions - especially England in a major tournament!!

Just because you don''t think it''s likely that your team won''t win, doesn''t mean you don''t think it''s possible for a miracle to happen - I always think a miracle can happen, even if I don''t expect it (if I did expect it - it wouldn''t be a miracle!!) - and thats what you hope, pray and support for! For example, Norwich vs Chelsea away from home, last season - did you honestly expect City to win? If you think "yes", I hate to say, you are a bit stupid, mate!! Next time we play someone like that, I want you around for a bet or two! [:)]

City had no chance really, but I still bought a ticket and went to the game and supported, hoped, pray, shouted, screamed that Huckerby would pull some magic out the bag and we''d win - THATs what footie is all about! Games like the Middlesborough game... 7 minutes from time and they go 4-1... no I didn''t expect a point, I went mental when they proved me wrong!

If you have the expectation of always winning - you can only ever be disappointed. If you have realistic expectations you can never be disappointed, and every now and again, very, very pleasantly suprised! [:)]

[/quote]You completely mis-understand me. I never expect them to win (apart from if they play teams from lower leagues in the cup and we all know how well we normally get on then!) Games against Chelsea etc I am a realist and think the chances of us winning are slim but as soon as the whistle blows I change and start believing we''re going to do it, I think a nervous pessimistic crowd transfers itself into the players. I think today is the day the miracle happens and we get a win . When the full time whistle happens and we enevitably don''t I''m back to my old self thinking oh well next time we''ll ''ave ''em.

I''m the same when I play sports, if my football team is playing a team who won all their games, in the lead up I probably don''t fancy our chances much but as soon as the whistle goes you have to believe you can win. In that situation I certainly wouldn''t fancy having people watching me who were all negative, I''d rather have people on the sidelines thinking I''m going to do it as it gives me more confidence to go out there and do it.

Ah well, each to their own I suppose.

I don''t have much in the way of what you might call optimism so I can''t really misplace it.

I am ever hopeful that we might exceed my expectations but I wouldn''t want to bet money on a top half finish.

However hope springs eternal and I would love to be proved wrong.

[quote user="ricardo"]

I don''t have much in the way of what you might call optimism so I can''t really misplace it.

I am ever hopeful that we might exceed my expectations but I wouldn''t want to bet money on a top half finish.

However hope springs eternal and I would love to be proved wrong.

[/quote]

My feelings exactly, Ricardo.

Good luck, Peter Grant.

OTBC 

Common sense says we don''t have much chances given the big spenders in the Championship this year, but one of the play off teams is always unexpected.  We might just have the formula required - a blend of experience (Dublin, Drury, Huckerby), youth (Martin, Renton, Spillane), new media friendly manager who seems to know what he wants, very experienced head coach in Duffy, good buys to boost the team (Cureton, Big Dave, Brellier, Ostemoboor). 

Oops just got a bit optimistic.

[quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

............ new media friendly manager.........

[/quote]LOL. He detests the press especially the local hacks......

I agree Grandgrind, I think we have a good chance of at least making the playoffs.  We don''t have the large pots of money as do the recently relegated clubs, but we do have a far more proactive management now, a lot has changed in the past year and I feel far more optimistic this season than last.

Only a few weeks to go.  Can''t wait.

every year as has been rightly said, a team who has spent next to nothing, brought in next to no-one has excelled themselves with their workmanship and guile.  And also, one or 2 of the bigger teams who should do well, due to moneys paid, etc does badly.  Spending money can work, but does it always.  Look when Forest, Sheff Weds and last year Leeds all went down unexpectedly.  On paper, I kept looking at Leeds and thought that they should win comfortably, and then they lose badly.  They had 3 or 4 very good Championship strikers, a good, hard working midfield, but they just couldn''t gel at all.  That is the key, when Reading went up, what big name players did they have?  None, but by the end of the season, everyone had heard about them for how well they had done, the same with Watford.

Every team has a right to be optimistic for the coming season, even with the bigger teams having bucket loads of money to spend.  Just like every year, there is also one of the newly promoted teams who produces a lot of shocks and has a great 1st season (sometimes getting relegated in their 2nd though!).

I was born a pessimist and always will be, so instead of "knowing" Norwich are going to win, I just live in hope, that they will prove my pessimism wrong.  Thats what I got a season ticket for, that hope and that want of success, even though my brain tells me we haven''t got a chance, my heart pushes me to every game.

Media friendly in the sense that not that he gets on with the press, but that he/Norwich will get a mention in the press.  Getting recognition is one of little norwich''s problems.