Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

A regular column for Ray Ducker

I was inspired to create this thread after reading Ray''s post about Charlie Billington on the thread ''Do you speak for yourself?''.

Would it be possible to perhaps give Ray a weekly spot on the website where he could discuss his favourite players from his many years of supporting our great club? I don''t claim to speak for all of the ''younger'' posters but I for one would find this sort of thing fascinating. My memories of City only go back to the early eighties and it would be great to learn more, especially in the more ''personal'' style that Ray used in the above mentioned thread.

So what do people think?

(Apologies to Ray if he has neither the time nor inclination to take on something like this)

The trouble with this is, if people get head hunted from here, they disappear. Thats what happened with Suzie B. I used to enjoy here contributions on the message board especially as us women are a bit thin on the ground, but since she was given a column we never hear from her. I would hate this to happen to Ray. He is such a nice bloke - I have met him. And great sausages too!

i love eharing about old players and stories from yesteryear!

Id certainly read a blog or a column that Ray had. I havent met Ray but have had the odd email off him in the past and he seems a proper Gent. fair play ti him.

He can tell us the story of Hugh Currans Hat trick against the bin men.

jas :)

You''re right Kathy, I would hate to lose him from here. Rays posts are a joy on here, I have never met him but I''m convinced he is a proper nice bloke.

But talking about weekly columns howabout a problem page[U]? Cluck would make such a good ''Agony Aunt''.[Y] A bit like Blanch out of Corrie[W]It could go under the title of "Dear Delia" [&]I''m sure all the younger posters on here could do with a dose of his experience from the University Of Life and School Of Hard Knocks [*-)][;)][:)][:D][:P]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I was inspired to create this thread after reading Ray''s post about Charlie Billington on the thread ''Do you speak for yourself?''.

Would it be possible to perhaps give Ray a weekly spot on the website where he could discuss his favourite players from his many years of supporting our great club? I don''t claim to speak for all of the ''younger'' posters but I for one would find this sort of thing fascinating. My memories of City only go back to the early eighties and it would be great to learn more, especially in the more ''personal'' style that Ray used in the above mentioned thread.

So what do people think?

(Apologies to Ray if he has neither the time nor inclination to take on something like this)

[/quote]

Shack you lovely old boy , i don''t know what to say , i feel humble , i don''t want to do a weekly report ,onless Ricardo and my self could do a joint report , i was shocked by some of the things i had forgot , perhaps Ricardo was the same ,little things i know . lets hear from you Ricardo , can we work something out i don''t want this to get in the way of my PinkU pickers , perhaps we could do this on a wed ? e mail if you can , i know we can work something out . Nutty i do need to have a word with you about this business of  "oldtimers" it seems i am about 7 yrs or less in front of you , i can''t speak for Ricardo but he dosen''t seem much older [:O] arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

So what do people think?

[/quote]

Shack you lovely old boy , i don''t know what to say , i feel humble , i don''t want to do a weekly report ,onless Ricardo and my self could do a joint report , i was shocked by some of the things i had forgot , perhaps Ricardo was the same ,little things i know . lets hear from you Ricardo , can we work something out i don''t want this to get in the way of my PinkU pickers , perhaps we could do this on a wed ? e mail if you can , i know we can work something out . Nutty i do need to have a word with you about this business of  "oldtimers" it seems i am about 7 yrs or less in front of you , i can''t speak for Ricardo but he dosen''t seem much older [:O] arrdee.

[/quote]

Ray, I was surprised to find out that these youngsters like to hear about the rambling reminiscences of us older supporters. I am 62 yrs old Ray and went to my first match in 1953 so I guess that makes me an "oldtimer" although I don''t class myself as old yet.

Perhaps we could start a thread once a week about some of those long ago seasons or those great characters from the past. You certainly jogged my memories with some of your comments and I hope I did the same for you.

[quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

Cheers Ray. Perhaps if you want to get together with Ricardo when you can and post something on here as and when, the mods can agree to keep it up at the top of the board for a week so everybody can read it. Hopefully that way it wont get in the way of your other commitments and Kathy and Nutty''s fears about you being poached wont be realised.

It was the article linked below which inspired me to start this thread

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/07/24/real_heroes_would_knock_some_s.html

Sadler struck me as just another bitter old journalist being paid to spout nonsense about how things were so much better in the old days. I compared it with what you had written and was struck by the difference. Whilst he used his article to take another pop at David Beckham and how his sporting heroes were much worthier (if people are really that bored by him why the hell do they keep writing about him!) yours just concentrated on sharing your memories with everyone. Although I got the impression that those were days you would love to have back you never attempted to denigrate anbody elses memories by claiming that things were so much better in those days.

[quote user="arrdee"] Nutty i do need to have a word with you about this business of  "oldtimers" it seems i am about 7 yrs or less in front of you , i can''t speak for Ricardo but he dosen''t seem much older [:O] arrdee.[/quote]

Sorry Ray(and Ricardo)I was just having a bit of fun I''m not really ageist or sexist or racist or even dwarfist[Z] I''''m also not Cuckist or Smudgerist or even Blyist despite rumours to the contrary [;)] I am more than a little binnerist though [+o(]

I''ll be 51 next week. I was born in 1956 but I didn''t get to my first game until 1967 because I didn''t have anyone to take me. My youngest grandson has been twice and to an away game and he is only three and a half!!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="arrdee"] Nutty i do need to have a word with you about this business of  "oldtimers" it seems i am about 7 yrs or less in front of you , i can''t speak for Ricardo but he dosen''t seem much older [:O] arrdee.[/quote]

Sorry Ray(and Ricardo)I was just having a bit of fun I''m not really ageist or sexist or racist or even dwarfist[Z] I''''m also not Cuckist or Smudgerist or even Blyist despite rumours to the contrary [;)] I am more than a little binnerist though [+o(]

I''ll be 51 next week. I was born in 1956 but I didn''t get to my first game until 1967 because I didn''t have anyone to take me. My youngest grandson has been twice and to an away game and he is only three and a half!!!

[/quote]

Thanks Talented one , i wont be going any where with out your say so , thanks  mrs Blake for those kind words   , and all you others who had  worried , about me , i intend to bore you to tears , o .k. you have asked for it , Now you have to beat me in every thing don''t you Nutty , age , computer skills, ( i can hardly make myself known ) so no contest there , more grandchildren than me (one) , i thought i had the ace as i went to see city when i was 5 ,before i went to school  even , now you are coming up with 3yr olds , i could say i speak Bulgarian better than you but no doubt you would come up with 3 others  better than me, fluent in at least 2 ,i feel like that Martin in Everdecreasing  circles , with his friend Paul . i have nothing left only my looks , now you could be in trouble here Nutty , as Fat Barman had me down as middle 30s , City Angel , and Kathy had me just out of my teens , no doubt you will come up with a youthful Brad Pitt lookalike [;)][:D][:D]

[/quote]

Pussy. Real fans got there on their own at 8 in those days.....

[quote user="arrdee"]Now you have to beat me in every thing don''t you Nutty , age , computer skills, ( i can hardly make myself known ) so no contest there , more grandchildren than me (one) , i thought i had the ace as i went to see city when i was 5 ,before i went to school  even , now you are coming up with 3yr olds , i could say i speak Bulgarian better than you but no doubt you would come up with 3 others  better than me, fluent in at least 2 ,i feel like that Martin in Everdecreasing  circles , with his friend Paul . i have nothing left only my looks , now you could be in trouble here Nutty , as Fat Barman had me down as middle 30s , City Angel , and Kathy had me just out of my teens , no doubt you will come up with a youthful Brad Pitt lookalike [;)][:D][:D][/quote]

Arrdee.. you very well know I beat you at nothing. Your computer skills are better than mine because you have the ability to make your point on here without upsetting anyone where as I am forever upsetting the good posters on a daily basis! [;)] You even united the fans on this board with the poster picks with Dixmar racing at a time when we were all at eachothers throats[:@] I would love to have gone to to games at 5, I took my son at 5 and my grandson went to QPR last season before he was 3, but as Cluck rightly points out I was a wuss[W] and never went until I was 10. The first football games I ever watched were the England World Cup games in 1966, before that I didn''t know what football was. There''s no way I can compete with your looks Ray, I have seen how the good ladies of this forum hang on your every word... Angel... Cluck... Kathy.. you have them in the palm of your hand my friend[;)] This forum quite simply is the best place for City fans to hangout online and your contributions always a joy to read.

. There''s no way I can compete with your looks Ray, I have seen how the good ladies of this forum hang on your every word... Angel... Cluck... Kathy.. you have them in the palm of your hand my friend[;)]

[/quote]

Its not just the looks Nigel. Ray has the most amazing sausages.

Going back to songs, I can remember (I dont know if it was one of yours Ray) the following:

In Norwich fair city

Where the girls are so pretty

I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone

As he wheeled her wheelbarrow

Through Ber Street and Carrow

Crying de de, de de de, de de de de Norwich

Quality stuff!

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

. There''s no way I can compete with your looks Ray, I have seen how the good ladies of this forum hang on your every word... Angel... Cluck... Kathy.. you have them in the palm of your hand my friend[;)]

[/quote]

Its not just the looks Nigel. Ray has the most amazing sausages.

Going back to songs, I can remember (I dont know if it was one of yours Ray) the following:

In Norwich fair city

Where the girls are so pretty

I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone

As he wheeled her wheelbarrow

Through Ber Street and Carrow

Crying de de, de de de, de de de de Norwich

Quality stuff!

[/quote]

I know I can''t compete with Ray in the sausage department Kathy [;)]

Talking about songs, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, we didn''t seem to sing OTBC as much as we do now, I remember singing the Liverpool anthem "You''ll Never Walk Alone" as often as OTBC back then.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

Cheers Ray. Perhaps if you want to get together with Ricardo when you can and post something on here as and when, the mods can agree to keep it up at the top of the board for a week so everybody can read it. Hopefully that way it wont get in the way of your other commitments and Kathy and Nutty''s fears about you being poached wont be realised.

It was the article linked below which inspired me to start this thread

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/07/24/real_heroes_would_knock_some_s.html

Sadler struck me as just another bitter old journalist being paid to spout nonsense about how things were so much better in the old days. I compared it with what you had written and was struck by the difference. Whilst he used his article to take another pop at David Beckham and how his sporting heroes were much worthier (if people are really that bored by him why the hell do they keep writing about him!) yours just concentrated on sharing your memories with everyone. Although I got the impression that those were days you would love to have back you never attempted to denigrate anbody elses memories by claiming that things were so much better in those days.

[/quote]

You just wait , Shack . i am on a mission to bore you all to tears [;)] arrdee.

As one of the so called "younger generation" of Norwich fans I''d just like to say that I think it''s a brilliant idea and I would certainly look forward to reading about some of the characters / memories from this great clubs'' history.