Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

If Chase was in charge.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]....and here we have two individuals, Cluck and Nutty Nigel, the first constantly claiming to be a realist while the second makes no such claim but simply continues to lay out a realistic and objective assessment of what has transpired. If most posters were making a judgement as to which of the two is more credible, nay, I''ll put it to you in an even more specific context, if you were in a jam and wanted to count on a friend to give you counsel and support, which of the two would you choose?  [/quote]

I rather suspect that Cluck would be standing shoulder to shoulder with one in the field, whilst Nutty would be waiting at home with a warm blanket and a nice cup of tea.

Both eminently desirable qualities.

Would you be waiting on the fence Yankee, or in the trenches - even if a little late?

But then we''re all family and in the end we all want the best for our club.

Just got differing views.

And some are just more right than others.[:P]

OTBC

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Cluck - I defy anybody to paint the Chase years all black as the record books show our best ever history to be during his time. But that’s not the whole story and we both know that. Just like the last two seasons are not the whole story for the current lot. The run to the play-offs in 2002, the Championship in2004 and a lot of that Premiership season were equally as enjoyable as the previous good times for those of us who witnessed both. The whole of the last ten years will not be remembered as wasted but the last two certainly will.

[/quote]

Are you serious? How was "that" Premiership season anything other than a total shambles and embarrassment? In fact, the fact that everyone calls it "our" or "that" Premiership season says a lot, (hell, even the DVD front cover mentions "a memorable season in the Premiership") kind of stating that we were intruding on the big league and should be happy that we got our chance to play there with the "big boys". God, give me a break. It makes me cringe. The last 10 years under the Smith administration has been nothing dire!

[/quote]

Get real nearly every team that gets promoted goes straight back down again at least we didn''t do a watford, we took it to the last day! it ain''t the 80''s anymore football''s changed.

[quote user="Cluck "]

It''s easy to chuck stones at Chase...but he was a football man trying to make Norwich something better.

[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha Ha are you actually serious???????? that is the single most ridiculous comment that i have ever read on this message board selling chris sutton made us better did it? selling ruel fox, ashley ward & jon newsome and never buying any quality replacements made us better did it????? at least when delia sold ashton we bought earnie. No offence but you really are a fool.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Nutty. You are really ace at omitting inconvenient facts in your posts. For example, how would you categorise the years 1996 to 2002 of the 11 that the current owners have been in charge? [I make it 2 - maybe 3 - goodish years out of 11].

And please don''t tell us it was Chase''s fault.

OTBC 

[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahhahaha

who left the club on the brink of collapse??  who BlyBlyBabes???  who was DIRECTLY responsible for our financial hardship from 1996??

It was Chase''s fault. (and I guess the fault of Delia and co for not being rich enough to just clear our monetary problems).  In fract BlyBly, whos fault was it that Martin O''neil did not give us the success that Leicester had instead??

NCFC has to somehow cover losses of around 3 million a year.  It aint easy without having a sugar daddy hanging around.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Are you serious? How was "that" Premiership season anything other than a total shambles and embarrassment? In fact, the fact that everyone calls it "our" or "that" Premiership season says a lot, (hell, even the DVD front cover mentions "a memorable season in the Premiership") kind of stating that we were intruding on the big league and should be happy that we got our chance to play there with the "big boys". God, give me a break. It makes me cringe. The last 10 years under the Smith administration has been nothing dire![/quote]

Yes I’m serious Alex! Let’s compare your “total shambles and embarassment” with the only other comparable season and see how it measures up:-

1972/3 Watling and Saunders certainly did “go with what we’ve got”! I don’t remember a single signing until the February when we brought in the late great Trevor Hockey, Ian Mellor and Colin Suggett. But even then we sold Jim Bone before we bought! A lot of the football that season was dire and Kevin Keelan seemed to be MOM every week. It was prudence with prudence from the board as we went from mid November to mid April without a league win. But the League Cup run that took us to Wembley probably saved them from the full wrath of the fans. That cup run and the fact that we beat Palace to stay up are what the season is remembered for but in general our team performances were as bad and in a lot of cases worse than in 04/05 and the investment into the team much worse.

Our other two promotions were in the seasons straight after we were relegated when Arthur South was chairman and he ensured we kept our best players and also strengthened the team with quality, as I pointed out in my earlier post.

Of course if you want to compare that premiership season with our glory years in the 90’s then it won’t compare very well but it should be remembered that we had been outside the premier league for 10 years before we were promoted in 2004.

I rather suspect that Cluck would be standing shoulder to shoulder with one in the field, whilst Nutty would be waiting at home with a warm blanket and a nice cup of tea.

Would you be waiting on the fence Yankee, or in the trenches - even if a little late?

OTBC

[/quote]

Where as you Bly, I rather suspect, would be sat at home watching it all unravel on the wireless [8-|]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]....and here we have two individuals, Cluck and Nutty Nigel, the first constantly claiming to be a realist while the second makes no such claim but simply continues to lay out a realistic and objective assessment of what has transpired. If most posters were making a judgement as to which of the two is more credible, nay, I''ll put it to you in an even more specific context, if you were in a jam and wanted to count on a friend to give you counsel and support, which of the two would you choose?  [/quote]

Having experienced Yanks with their back to the wall in Viet Nam I''d sooner trust a sack of bladders. Counsel and support?  What is this place...a sodding nursing home for the inadequate?

No doubt the Transatlantic interpretation of Chase''s years of success and the events that led to the Madonna being installed  have been suitably distorted (rather like the  WMD garbage).....so you just blissfully believe what you want to believe and leave the grass roots facts to those who personally experienced them. Let''s face it...half of those protesting on here weren''t even old enough to wipe their backsides when it happened...so here we go relying on the classic "hearsay" again.....

The sheep continue to graze where no grass can grow........

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

[quote user="Cluck "]

It''s easy to chuck stones at Chase...but he was a football man trying to make Norwich something better.

[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha Ha are you actually serious???????? that is the single most ridiculous comment that i have ever read on this message board selling chris sutton made us better did it? selling ruel fox, ashley ward & jon newsome and never buying any quality replacements made us better did it????? at least when delia sold ashton we bought earnie. No offence but you really are a fool.

[/quote]

As for you ...if I were to analyse all of your personal attributes via a computer programme....I would  switch it off....My drains make more sense than you.

You really haven''t got a clue what actually happened have you?....and are just a modern day apologist clinging on to Auntie Delia''s lifebelt. It''s made of lead by the way....so very soon you are going to plummet down with it. You quote some very good players there...but who the hell brought them to Carrow Road in the first place? Do you want me to add many more names to those stated...or are you content with Brown and Co. who wouldn''t raise a smile if put up for sale should Smith need bailing out?

Come back to me when your thumb is out of your mouth because the dribble coming out of it right now defies further interaction.

NEXT!

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As for you ...if I were to analyse all of your personal attributes via a computer programme....I would  switch it off....My drains make more sense than you.

You really haven''t got a clue what actually happened have you?....and are just a modern day apologist clinging on to Auntie Delia''s lifebelt. It''s made of lead by the way....so very soon you are going to plummet down with it. You quote some very good players there...but who the hell brought them to Carrow Road in the first place? Do you want me to add many more names to those stated...or are you content with Brown and Co. who wouldn''t raise a smile if put up for sale should Smith need bailing out?

Come back to me when your thumb is out of your mouth because the dribble coming out of it right now defies further interaction.

NEXT!

[/quote]

Firstly i would like to point out that just because i have the sense to be able to recognise that chase was a lot worse for our club than the current lot does not make me an apologist, i''m not a supporter of our current board i would like to see them replaced, unless they show a lot more ambition.

Rob chase did not bring chris sutton or ruel fox to the club they emerged from our youth team, i thought you would have known this!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Where as you Bly, I rather suspect, would be sat at home watching it all unravel on the wireless [8-|]

[/quote]

Nutty.

What is that is going to unravel?

Come on, let us in on the ''secret'' - since as always you have the inside track.

I just love a good ruckus. Come on now.

I''ve bagged my ringside seat. 

I wonder if somebody''s upset because I suggested that young Andrew Turner invites Robert Chase over for the weekend to explain about achieving sustained success on the field. It''s just a pity that Arthur South and Geoffrey Watling are no longer around to help him. So Robert will have to do. You see your current lot can only talk from the perspective of failure.

No hard feelings, but it''s a hard world out there. And when the going gets tough the tough get going.

OTBC

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]One thing I know for sure, if Chase was in charge there would be no way I would get my faded plastic seat replaced. [/quote]

If Chase was in charge you would''nt be bored enough to want to sit on one....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]One thing I know for sure, if Chase was in charge there would be no way I would get my faded plastic seat replaced. [/quote]

You wouldn''t need to as he''d have bought a good one in the first place.

Just like good players were continuously bought and developed during his time.

He knows the value of quality.

OTBC

Smudger since you bring up Leeds.  Peter Ridsdale gave the club

their most successful season/period ever.  He is still blamed

(rightly) by most for the situation they find themselves in now, 5

years on. (Ken Bates by dint of much effort has got himself in a

similar position). See any similarities?

As to the rest of the debate - I''m too young to remember clearly what

happened back then (I was 12) so I won''t get involved. Except there is

one thing that I heard on anglia soccer night about 2 years ago that

may be relevant.

It was in an article about why norwich were not producing youngsters

like they used to. (Henderson/Jarvis snr/Crow are not exactly Eadie or

Sutton are they)  The explaination given was this: 

Under Chase there was a Norwich City Youth Acadamy based at Potters Bar

(well somewhere near north london - I can''t remember where exactly) to

better attract youngsters into the program.  During the last "fire

sale" days when chase was selling players in order to survive one of

the less reported sales was that of the entire youth system to either

Watford or QPR (I think it was Watford).  Since the best

youngsters are in an acadamy from before they are 10 this is why

Norwich have not yet produced great players recently.

Does this not impact on the arguements put forward about why under

Chase we would have produced great youngsters where as we haven''t under

Delia.

Can anyone actually remember this happening - I can''t, I was too young

and just remember the report of this.  Can anyone actually deny

that it happened (well apart from ....).

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Nutty. You are really ace at omitting inconvenient facts in your posts. For example, how would you categorise the years 1996 to 2002 of the 11 that the current owners have been in charge? [I make it 2 - maybe 3 - goodish years out of 11].

And please don''t tell us it was Chase''s fault.

OTBC 

[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahhahaha

who left the club on the brink of collapse??  who BlyBlyBabes???  who was DIRECTLY responsible for our financial hardship from 1996??

It was Chase''s fault. (and I guess the fault of Delia and co for not being rich enough to just clear our monetary problems).  In fract BlyBly, whos fault was it that Martin O''neil did not give us the success that Leicester had instead??

NCFC has to somehow cover losses of around 3 million a year.  It aint easy without having a sugar daddy hanging around.

[/quote]

Oh dear.

And I thought that journalists were.................

Obviously not.

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="7rew"]Smudger since you bring up Leeds.  Peter Ridsdale gave the club their most successful season/period ever.  He is still blamed (rightly) by most for the situation they find themselves in now, 5 years on. (Ken Bates by dint of much effort has got himself in a similar position). See any similarities?

As to the rest of the debate - I''m too young to remember clearly what happened back then (I was 12) so I won''t get involved. Except there is one thing that I heard on anglia soccer night about 2 years ago that may be relevant.
It was in an article about why norwich were not producing youngsters like they used to. (Henderson/Jarvis snr/Crow are not exactly Eadie or Sutton are they)  The explaination given was this: 

Under Chase there was a Norwich City Youth Acadamy based at Potters Bar (well somewhere near north london - I can''t remember where exactly) to better attract youngsters into the program.  During the last "fire sale" days when chase was selling players in order to survive one of the less reported sales was that of the entire youth system to either Watford or QPR (I think it was Watford).  Since the best youngsters are in an acadamy from before they are 10 this is why Norwich have not yet produced great players recently.

Does this not impact on the arguements put forward about why under Chase we would have produced great youngsters where as we haven''t under Delia.

Can anyone actually remember this happening - I can''t, I was too young and just remember the report of this.  Can anyone actually deny that it happened (well apart from ....).

[/quote]

Most successful season ever?

Don''t make me laugh 7rew...  Leeds had there most successful period ever under Ridsdale did they?

Tell that to Don Revie''s side of the 70''s or the side that won the league title in 1992 (the year prior to the Premiership beginning).

hehehe don''t let the facts get in the way of you taking those blinkers off and using other clubs that you simply don''t know all the facts about get in the way of your stern rearguard defence of Delia and her merry men will you??? 

Ok - make that one of their most successful periods - 2 euro semis in 2

years is quite successful in anyones book  They had had no real

success in the period 1992-1999. alternatively restrict yourself to

recent history.

The point still stands that Ridsdale''s signings and policies gave them

success that they hadn''t had for some years but also doomed them to

their current plight.  This shows that success followed lingering

failure are not mutually exclusive, and can both be set in motion by

the same person.

Anyone else know anything abouth the second bit of my above post?  I really would like to know if its true or not.

You''ve got to laugh at the "Chase selling players" bilge being pumped out here.  Who made the club attractive enough to bring them here in the first place?... and who had a brilliant scouting and youth set up organised so that quality unknowns could be brought in and reared to play the great passing football we all loved? Two and two makes four in my book....despite what some of you would have us believe.

Princess Delia might have woven her spell to fool the no brainers on here...but some of us can base our thinking on fact rather than "spin". Fact is Chase gave us a great football team...Smith has given us a soppy celebrity sideshow and a shed full of la de das to watch it.

Bring back the great Chase football days....where risk was the norm and Prudence was simply the cat........

[quote user="Smudger"]

hehehe don''t let the facts get in the way of you taking those blinkers off and using other clubs that you simply don''t know all the facts about get in the way of your stern rearguard defence of Delia and her merry men will you??? 

[/quote]

Hehehe don''t let the fact the a large number of words such as that can''t possibly be crammed into one sentence without looking ridiculous and making you look as if you simply don''t know when to stop ranting put you off will you Smudge???

[quote user="7rew"]Ok - make that one of their most successful periods - 2 euro semis in 2 years is quite successful in anyones book  They had had no real success in the period 1992-1999. alternatively restrict yourself to recent history.

The point still stands that Ridsdale''s signings and policies gave them success that they hadn''t had for some years but also doomed them to their current plight.  This shows that success followed lingering failure are not mutually exclusive, and can both be set in motion by the same person.

Anyone else know anything abouth the second bit of my above post?  I really would like to know if its true or not.

[/quote]

Think you will find it was one Champions League Semi and one UEFA Cup Semi but that they didn''t win anything did they?

Hardly a major achievement when you only needed to finsish top 3 or top 4 for a chance of getting that far in Europe and all the money that comes with that nowadays was it?

Leeds had just as good a team between 1992 and 1995 (just prior to Ridsdale taking charge)... Winning one League title and finishing in the top top 3 a couple of times at least.

Ridsdale doen nothing for Leeds except give too much money to a c**p manager like O''Leary... It is this that has seen Leeds fall to where they are today...

But like Cluck says they will be back and probably before us too!!!

Know nothing about the second bit of you post... but beleive that we used to be able to scout a lot of players from the Bristol area and London which we are now unable to do due to some legislation that means that we can only sign academy players from the local area which is not known as a hotbed for producing fantastic players is it??? 

7rew- The Satellite Unit at Potters Bar along with our excellent scouting network certainly were casualties of the Chase years. Check it out here http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/RickWaghorn.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=RickWaghorn&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=RickWaghorn&itemid=NOED15%20Feb%202006%2012%3A13%3A10%3A760 

This is what the universally popular Gordon Bennett had to say about the Chase years in 1996. Make your own minds up what''s bilge and what''s not.....

Canaries lift lid on Chase reign

"I was amazed at the seriousness of the situation"Gordon Bennett, chief executive, Norwich City Football Club

By Trevor Burton

Norwich City lost a staggering £4 million in the year after their relegation from the Premiership in 1995, the club''s chief executive Gordon Bennett has revealed. Mr Bennett pulled few punches as he painted a vivid picture of the expenditure that marked the final stages of Robert Chase''s 10-year reign and left the club staring bankruptcy in the face when he finally stepped down as its chairman in May.

"I was amazed at the seriousness of the situation," said Mr Bennett, who left his post as youth development officer to take over the running of the club in March. His comments to an audience of around 300 South Stand season ticket holders on Saturday provided many answers to fans'' questions about where all the "missing millions" from the transfers of top Canaries players went. "The debts were about £7 million, the bank was going potty, we''d sold Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome for £2.5 million and that had hardly bought us a month''s grace," he said.

"At the first board meeting I attended I told the directors they were trading insolvently and were personally liable for every single penny of expenditure they authorised as there was no ready means whereby the club could pay the bills that came in." Bennett said that when he first arrived in 1989 the club had been "the very model of a well-run provincial club" but the situation had been allowed to deteriorate. "I think since 1991 a little bit less discipline crept in, and unfortunately the adventure into Europe probably turned a few too many heads in too many powerful positions," he said.

"In the last five years this football club has spent £13 million on improving stands -- except the South Stand -- and redecorating the executive suite, building Colney and buying a flour mill, and out of that £13 million we only got £3 million from Football Trust grants. In that period we have spent £10 million on bricks and mortar, plans and buildings. There was an increase in the day-to-day running costs -- players'' wages, staff costs and travelling expenses."

Norwich City''s then record £5 million fee for the sale of star player Chris Sutton all went to the bank -- the club saw none of it, chief executive Gordon Bennett said at the weekend. "We owed it all to the bank before we even got it," he told supporters at Carrow Road. "We were all led to believe there was a lot of money in the club. But the Sutton transfer money had already been spent -- despite the fact that £2.2 million had come in six months earlier from the sale of Ruel Fox."

Mr Bennett said: "The net effect was that last season we must have spent the equivalent of £9 million , the income of the club was £5 million -- so we lost £4 million last season. But while the money from the sale of Jamie Cureton and Spencer Prior went straight to the bank, he said, no other players need leave the club to keep the bank manager at bay. Asked to elaborate on the expenditure under Chase, Bennett drew gasps with his blunt reply. "The executive suite was done out and it cost nearly 250,000 quid just to do this very room," he declared. "The Barclay Stand cost over £4 million, the corner infill between the City Stand and the Barclay was another million; the other corner infill cost another million. Colney, by the time all the bills came in, was over £1.5 million.

"There was a million on the flour mill stand, another million on the car park that used to belong to Boulton and Paul. There have been quite a lot of what I would call extravagant projects which have added up to that total.

The £9 million I quoted for last year''s expenditure was normal revenue expenditure -- it wasn''t capital. The only thing I did include was drawing costs for a new South Stand -- and the drawing costs for a new South Stand were 200,000 quid."

But Bennett said that thanks to the combined effects of cost-cutting measures, increased revenue, and a £3 million loan from A T & T, the club was gradually regaining its feet and did not need to sell star players. "When I came in March the first thing to do was find a way of eking out an existence with the banks so they didn''t pull the plug; and the second was to chip £4 million or so off the expenditure of running the club and still have a club left." He added: "We have made a lot of progress. Some people had to make the ultimate sacrifice by losing their jobs, others at the club have had to take big pay cuts.

"Thanks to Mike Walker and the inspired management we have had from him since day one of his return we have increased income quite a lot, and assuming we were to jog along in this division we can now balance the books on income and expenditure until June of 1998 without selling another player to satisfy the bank.

"Jamie Cureton and Spencer Prior have had to be sold and the money has gone straight to the bank, but no other players need to leave Norwich City to keep the bank manager at bay."

Bennett faced some hostile questioning over the continued presence of Barry Lockwood, Gavin Paterson and Trevor Nicholls on the five-man City board, and conceded that many supporters would have "mixed feelings" about the three men who formed part of Chase''s administration. But he said: "They too have stuck at it in their own way when it would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to follow Mr Chase out of the door on May 2." He added: "What you need to know is that sometimes a project would be presented as costing X amount but that was just the structure, not the fittings."

Saturday''s consultative meeting was convened to consider the views of up to 500 South Stand season ticketholders who could be affected by a possible scheme to move them to other parts of the ground either permanently, or for occasional "big" matches.

I''ll admit I was using the definition of real success as "it was considered good enough to be recorded on wikipedia".

Unfortuantely internet record of the period around 1994 are

insufficient for me to back up any arguements on this subject with

fact.  However I believe we used to get round the travelling rule

by not basing the acadamy in Norwich.

Did you know that the most famous Robert Chase is now a character in House.

Thanks Nutty - I was hoping that I wasn''t going any more mad than I already am.

Cluck. You do realise that youth restrictions placed on clubs hinder Norwich''s youth development by a huge amount? While clubs like us suffer others benefit. Ipswich being a prime example. I suppose that is Delias fault for inforcing the 90minute rule on us and nothing to do with the FA. Your defense of the Chase era is outrageous, at best laughable.Ambition above everything else? Sod a self sustaining business for the benefit of the fans, and community. God forbid anyone actully lets you and your kin anywhere near a football club. Ken Bates but without much much worse. Your belief that everyone who fails to switch to your bizarre

theories on Delia dictatorship is disillusioned makes you appear thoughtless,

reckless and plain transparent.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Hehehe don''t let the fact the a large number of words such as that can''t possibly be crammed into one sentence without looking ridiculous and making you look as if you simply don''t know when to stop ranting put you off will you Smudge???

[/quote]

44 words to 45, just 1 short. Very good try Shack.

[:-*]

OTBC

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="7rew"]Smudger since you bring up Leeds.  Peter Ridsdale gave the club their most successful season/period ever.  He is still blamed (rightly) by most for the situation they find themselves in now, 5 years on. (Ken Bates by dint of much effort has got himself in a similar position). See any similarities?

As to the rest of the debate - I''m too young to remember clearly what happened back then (I was 12) so I won''t get involved. Except there is one thing that I heard on anglia soccer night about 2 years ago that may be relevant.
It was in an article about why norwich were not producing youngsters like they used to. (Henderson/Jarvis snr/Crow are not exactly Eadie or Sutton are they)  The explaination given was this: 

Under Chase there was a Norwich City Youth Acadamy based at Potters Bar (well somewhere near north london - I can''t remember where exactly) to better attract youngsters into the program.  During the last "fire sale" days when chase was selling players in order to survive one of the less reported sales was that of the entire youth system to either Watford or QPR (I think it was Watford).  Since the best youngsters are in an acadamy from before they are 10 this is why Norwich have not yet produced great players recently.

Does this not impact on the arguements put forward about why under Chase we would have produced great youngsters where as we haven''t under Delia.

Can anyone actually remember this happening - I can''t, I was too young and just remember the report of this.  Can anyone actually deny that it happened (well apart from ....).

[/quote]

Most successful season ever?

Don''t make me laugh 7rew...  Leeds had there most successful period ever under Ridsdale did they?

Tell that to Don Revie''s side of the 70''s or the side that won the league title in 1992 (the year prior to the Premiership beginning).

[/quote]

Well pointed out.

Leeds were one of europes best and biggest clubs in the 70s.

How does europeon cup semi and finishing 3rd in the league beat that????????

More recognition needed for your post Nutty N for restablishing what the blinkered rose tinted brigade would like us to forget - just how disasterously Chase left this club - we were insolvent, which is not the case under the current board.  It also shows just how much was spent in ''non-footballing'' matters at that time. 

The current board are not saints,  but nor do they deserve the current vitriol coming their way.  Things could and should have been better;   but there isnt a fan in the country who does not think that is the case.

History should not be re-written just to suit some disillusioned fans. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

7rew- The Satellite Unit at Potters Bar along with our excellent scouting network certainly were casualties of the Chase years. Check it out here http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/RickWaghorn.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=RickWaghorn
&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=RickWaghorn&itemid=NOED15%20Feb%202006%2012%3A13%3A10%3A760

This is what the universally popular Gordon Bennett had to say about the Chase years in 1996. Make your own minds up what''s bilge and what''s not.....

Canaries lift lid on Chase reign

"I was amazed at the seriousness of the situation"
Gordon Bennett, chief executive, Norwich City Football Club

By Trevor Burton

Norwich City lost a staggering £4 million in the year after their relegation from the Premiership in 1995, the club''s chief executive Gordon Bennett has revealed. Mr Bennett pulled few punches as he painted a vivid picture of the expenditure that marked the final stages of Robert Chase''s 10-year reign and left the club staring bankruptcy in the face when he finally stepped down as its chairman in May.

"I was amazed at the seriousness of the situation," said Mr Bennett, who left his post as youth development officer to take over the running of the club in March. His comments to an audience of around 300 South Stand season ticket holders on Saturday provided many answers to fans'' questions about where all the "missing millions" from the transfers of top Canaries players went. "The debts were about £7 million, the bank was going potty, we''d sold Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome for £2.5 million and that had hardly bought us a month''s grace," he said.

"At the first board meeting I attended I told the directors they were trading insolvently and were personally liable for every single penny of expenditure they authorised as there was no ready means whereby the club could pay the bills that came in." Bennett said that when he first arrived in 1989 the club had been "the very model of a well-run provincial club" but the situation had been allowed to deteriorate. "I think since 1991 a little bit less discipline crept in, and unfortunately the adventure into Europe probably turned a few too many heads in too many powerful positions," he said.

"In the last five years this football club has spent £13 million on improving stands -- except the South Stand -- and redecorating the executive suite, building Colney and buying a flour mill, and out of that £13 million we only got £3 million from Football Trust grants. In that period we have spent £10 million on bricks and mortar, plans and buildings. There was an increase in the day-to-day running costs -- players'' wages, staff costs and travelling expenses."

Norwich City''s then record £5 million fee for the sale of star player Chris Sutton all went to the bank -- the club saw none of it, chief executive Gordon Bennett said at the weekend. "We owed it all to the bank before we even got it," he told supporters at Carrow Road. "We were all led to believe there was a lot of money in the club. But the Sutton transfer money had already been spent -- despite the fact that £2.2 million had come in six months earlier from the sale of Ruel Fox."

Mr Bennett said: "The net effect was that last season we must have spent the equivalent of £9 million , the income of the club was £5 million -- so we lost £4 million last season. But while the money from the sale of Jamie Cureton and Spencer Prior went straight to the bank, he said, no other players need leave the club to keep the bank manager at bay. Asked to elaborate on the expenditure under Chase, Bennett drew gasps with his blunt reply. "The executive suite was done out and it cost nearly 250,000 quid just to do this very room," he declared. "The Barclay Stand cost over £4 million, the corner infill between the City Stand and the Barclay was another million; the other corner infill cost another million. Colney, by the time all the bills came in, was over £1.5 million.

"There was a million on the flour mill stand, another million on the car park that used to belong to Boulton and Paul. There have been quite a lot of what I would call extravagant projects which have added up to that total.

The £9 million I quoted for last year''s expenditure was normal revenue expenditure -- it wasn''t capital. The only thing I did include was drawing costs for a new South Stand -- and the drawing costs for a new South Stand were 200,000 quid."

But Bennett said that thanks to the combined effects of cost-cutting measures, increased revenue, and a £3 million loan from A T & T, the club was gradually regaining its feet and did not need to sell star players. "When I came in March the first thing to do was find a way of eking out an existence with the banks so they didn''t pull the plug; and the second was to chip £4 million or so off the expenditure of running the club and still have a club left." He added: "We have made a lot of progress. Some people had to make the ultimate sacrifice by losing their jobs, others at the club have had to take big pay cuts.

"Thanks to Mike Walker and the inspired management we have had from him since day one of his return we have increased income quite a lot, and assuming we were to jog along in this division we can now balance the books on income and expenditure until June of 1998 without selling another player to satisfy the bank.

"Jamie Cureton and Spencer Prior have had to be sold and the money has gone straight to the bank, but no other players need to leave Norwich City to keep the bank manager at bay."

Bennett faced some hostile questioning over the continued presence of Barry Lockwood, Gavin Paterson and Trevor Nicholls on the five-man City board, and conceded that many supporters would have "mixed feelings" about the three men who formed part of Chase''s administration. But he said: "They too have stuck at it in their own way when it would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to follow Mr Chase out of the door on May 2." He added: "What you need to know is that sometimes a project would be presented as costing X amount but that was just the structure, not the fittings."

Saturday''s consultative meeting was convened to consider the views of up to 500 South Stand season ticketholders who could be affected by a possible scheme to move them to other parts of the ground either permanently, or for occasional "big" matches.

[/quote]

So the ''universally respected'' Youth Development Officer(YDO) sorted it out did he? The modus operandi adopted after Chase was the genesis of  ''little Norwich"'' - apart from being devoid of nous, innovation and flair.

Certain critical matters were also skirted around or simply covered up. And I invite you to respond to the earlier observations of Bury Green (reproduced below) that you have carefully avoided addressing up to now.

The self-congratulatory and somewhat self-righteous tone of the former YDO are also evident in this report. Apparently the Barclay Stand, two corner infills, Colney and the flour mill site were all examples of reckless expenditure to the former YDO.

And would you please update us on the current status of the ''extravagant'' executive suite?

Enough for now.

Bury Green is not online. Last active: 25/06/2007 15:51:11 Bury Green

Not Ranked
Joined on 12/12/2003
Posts 167

Re: If Chase was in charge.

Reply Quote

As this thread unravels itself it amazes me how once again it is littered with half truths and accusations of revisionism.

During the last days of his tenure the one telling thing that did for Big Bob was the clubs bankers demanding the repayment of the clubs overdraft meaning he had to sell as many players as quickly as he possibly could to stave off the club being wound up. At that time it was quite normal for a business to operate by way of an overdraft which was repayable upon demand, this was how it had always been and of course caught Big Bob out in grand fashion.

Treading carefully around issues of libel, I’ve also had the misfortune of meeting the bloke in charge of corporate recovery for the clubs bankers at that time and as I have mentioned in the past he is one of the singularly most unpleasant and repugnant Binners you will ever have the misfortune of meeting. This man took much pride in boasting about how he had --------d our club over, still what goes around comes around!

Now you can call this revisionism or what ever else you so chose but the idea of Honest Rob being all bad is simply not true and there is no getting away from the fact we enjoyed a golden period under the vast majority of his tenure which has not been repeated by Smith & Jones.

So attendances were lower? Think around the box a little bit on this one, back then it was quite easy to pay cash on the turnstile and who had the pleasure of coming round to collect it? I’ll leave it to your imagination but really it doesn’t take that much working out as to why our attendances seemed surprisingly low at times does it

None the less when push came to shove I was indeed on Carrow Road on the day The Plod turned up on horse back and in the end Bouncing Bob’s departure was long overdue as irrespective of the bank pulling the pug on the club I am equally sure there was any amount of corporate mischief going on that went way beyond a close affinity with fans paying cash on the gate.

A trip to the World Cup finals in America anybody?

[:^)]

OTBC