Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

Hull, a prime example.

Hull are a prime example of our struggles.

On paper Hull have some pretty good players but their problems stem from the fact that their defence is frankly shocking and they ship too many goals.

I personally believe that even without Earnie we have the firepower up front and midfield to win this division.

The problem is the defence, the goals difference does not lie.

Nobody above us in the table has a worse GD than we do.

We are where we are because we ship too many goals.

We need to be solid enough to sneak 1-0 wins and 1-1 draws away

Lets not forget although Ernie had 17 goals when he was injured we were still down the bottom.

His goal only helped patch over our real problems.

Personally I think we should sell Earnie and use some of the money to bring in a new Goalkeeper , right back and central defender.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Lets not forget although Ernie had 17 goals when he was injured we were still down the bottom.

His goal only helped patch over our real problems.

Personally I think we should sell Earnie and use some of the money to bring in a new Goalkeeper , right back and central defender.

[/quote]This has been said a few times.When the transfer rumours started, people said grant would be stupid to sell, we cant sell him etc..Now a youngster comes through, and we dont know his full capabilities yet, and you''re ready to say that he''s good enough to win this division? I agree he''s good, but we havent seen him completely yet..

You can''t argue with goals conceded, but who has been at fault? It could have been goalkeeper blunders - Gallacher has made too many mistakes, and I have yet to be entirely convinced by Warner. It could be the central defenders, but as I have observed, relatively few opposing strikers score against us, perhaps half of the goals we concede are by midfielders and defenders. It could be the fullbacks, who make mistakes (Hughes), or fail to tackle (Drury). But it could also be midfield errors, - a failure to dominate, a failure to tackle, or reckless tackles, etc.So where do you start to solve the problem? I think that we need a new right back for sure, and that would certainly improve the situation. Marshall, Alexander of some other goalkeeper of quality would certainly improve things. Drury needs some competition to restore his performances, the Doc needs something similar, Shackle needs some concentration, and the midfield.....   Each change could make an improvement, but you are replacing the whole defence, and will newcomers from all directions combine to be better?

It is a tricky one this.

Either way its a gamble. Gamble or Earnie''s goals being enough with a few bargain signings to get us up OR gamble by selling earnie, spending a bit more on the team and hoping Martin/Hucks/Dublin/Brown can get enough goals between us to get us up.

My personal feeling is that the defence although not stunning is adequate for this division and that fault for many of our problems, both in scoring and conceeding goals lies with our midfield.  Particularly Worthy''s failiure to establish a midfield pairing early in the season.  It may be that the players are good enough (I believe Etuhu and Safri would be good enough if they weren''t so inconsistant) but simply need time to establish a pairing.OTBC!Chunky

I agree with Chunky. I think the back four is adequate if we sort out the right back situation. We need a new no.1 goalkeeper, hopefully that''s going to be Marshall. The central midfield is the real problem, I agree Safri and Etuhu when fully firing are good enough, I just feel it could be Etuhu and a new player. Etuhu and someone like Gary Holt in his prime would be ideal.

If you guys think our defence is adequate then WHY were we NOT at the top of the division while he bagged 17 goals in less than half a season.

You must think our position in the table the last 3 years is bulls$$t

The table does NOT lie.

Todays last minute goal has happened so many times this season its laughable.

Top teams can sneak a draw/win even when they are outplayed.

We just cant do that. Until we wake up and invest at the back we will continue to be in midtable.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

If you guys think our defence is adequate then WHY were we NOT at the top of the division while he bagged 17 goals in less than half a season.

You must think our position in the table the last 3 years is bulls$$t

The table does NOT lie.

Todays last minute goal has happened so many times this season its laughable.

Top teams can sneak a draw/win even when they are outplayed.

We just cant do that. Until we wake up and invest at the back we will continue to be in midtable.

[/quote]

It''s not always fair to say a goal conceded is because the defence is poor. Which of the WBA goals do you put down to the defence and which defenders were at fault?

I agree that after 46 games the table doesn''t lie, mid-table is where we have deserved to be for the last two seasons.

The defence could be improved, of course it could, but IMO it would be folly to sell a 20 goal striker in order to improve the defence. And that''s what Earnshaw is, make no mistake!

I would love him to get back in time to get the three goals he needs to make 20. In modern times (since 1972) only 6 players have scored 20 in a season for us. 20 goal strikers are rare and thats why they fetch big money. It maybe we have to sell him but I don''t think we should choose to sell him.

Yes it was a last minute goal again but was it the defenders or the whole team who were sitting too deep causing ourselves problems again?

Overall I thought that the front part of the team were the weakest links today,  while the defenders, central in particular,  provided the best performances.