Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Burnley Are There To Be Taken

Of course form means nothing and football games are unpredictable but I really think this is a game for us to win.

We are probably exactly what Burnley feel they need at the moment to put three points on the board. We should feel exactly the same way. In their last eleven league games Burnley have only taken 7 out of 33 points. They have gone scoreless in seven of those games....they can''t shoot and they can''t score. I think Mr. Grant should heavy up on the attack and get his troops to come out blazing away right from the start to get a goal. Play Dion up front until we score and then put him back on defence for the remainder of the game, where he should be able to handle things on his own. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Of course form means nothing and football games are unpredictable but I really think this is a game for us to win.

We are probably exactly what Burnley feel they need at the moment to put three points on the board. We should feel exactly the same way. In their last eleven league games Burnley have only taken 7 out of 33 points. They have gone scoreless in seven of those games....they can''t shoot and they can''t score. I think Mr. Grant should heavy up on the attack and get his troops to come out blazing away right from the start to get a goal. Play Dion up front until we score and then put him back on defence for the remainder of the game, where he should be able to handle things on his own. 

[/quote]

Hang on... can I just confirm that a football related post has made it onto the forum? Best reply quickly before it gets taken over and becomes about a director.

I think you''re right when you say it''s there for the taking Yankee. Their confidence is as low as ours and the first team to score will hold a massive advantage psychologically. From what I''ve heard from Colney they''ve been practising in 4-5-1 formation all week though, so I don''t know if your hopes for a top-heavy attack will bear fruit. 4-5-1 will be a big ask for Brown if he gets his first start. It will be interesting to see if he or Dion starts there.

How long have you been tracking the affairs of NCFC YC?

For the past 5 seasons (and probably a lot longer) you just KNOW what the outcome will be when our illustrious team turn up against opponents going through a long spell of wretched results.

Instead of the statistic giving grounds for confidence, this supporter always feels the reverse as you know the opposition will be up for it to end the run against the perennial soft touches!

Hell, I''m up for some footy chat!There''s another factor here - Worthy''s last match! Surely even our mentally challenged first XI will see the need to try to erase the memory of that shambolic vote of no confidence that finally brought an end to a painfully slow sacking? Burnley were really pretty average that day and yet we managed to make them look like world-beaters.I seem to recall that it was the result against us that kick-started their season. Thankfully, as Yankee says, their form has stuttered almost as badly as ours, but we need to show up and take some early chances (God knows who''s capable of that - Brown? Martin? DD?) Hucks needs to take some time to watch some footage of Steed Malbranque - His last two games for Spurs have been like watching Hucks of three years ago and show how effective he still should be at this level. Maybe a more mobile, alert frontman (Brown?) could be told to drift left to cover any runs infield by Hucks, that was what used to happen with WLY.What I''m really hoping is that Celtic manage to prise Kyle Lafferty away from the Clarets, or at least bid again to unsettle the lad! Anyway, we could be the surprise package this weekend, I''m off to check our odds at the bookies (I''ll steer clear of trying to guess the first goalscorer though!)Kick It Off...

Last season Burnley were in the bottom three when we played them at Turf Moor, they hadn''t taken a point from their lastr 8 matches.  The game was televised on Sky, and it was painful to watch.  We lost 2-0.

There is always the hope that Chris Brown makes a great start, he is probably better suited to Lee Crofts crosses than Earnshaw is, and Dublin starts at the back instead of Doherty.

Unfortunately, Grant says that he has no problem in playing Brown upfront with Dublin (see pinkun story about Earnshaw today)

I thought it looked awful when they tried that on Saturday - two tall men, long ball, neither knowing who''s going for it and who is looking for the knock down. Does this mean that Doherty survives at the back as well??? [:''(]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Last season Burnley were in the bottom three when we played them at Turf Moor, they hadn''t taken a point from their lastr 8 matches.  The game was televised on Sky, and it was painful to watch.  We lost 2-0.

There is always the hope that Chris Brown makes a great start, he is probably better suited to Lee Crofts crosses than Earnshaw is, and Dublin starts at the back instead of Doherty.

[/quote]

Hopefully, coming from outside, Brown and Marshall won''t have had time to absorb the negativity and lack of confidence of the rest and will be up for the fight. If they both produce the confidence may rub off on the others. Hucks, Dion, Crofty and Youssef will always battle and Colin seems to be rising above the dross too. That''s seven fighters. The rest are the worry!

[quote user="jetstream"]

Unfortunately, Grant says that he has no problem in playing Brown upfront with Dublin (see pinkun story about Earnshaw today)

I thought it looked awful when they tried that on Saturday - two tall men, long ball, neither knowing who''s going for it and who is looking for the knock down. Does this mean that Doherty survives at the back as well??? [:''(]

[/quote]

but they may take some time to read each others game, to expect an understanding immediately is a bit much.

Marty - I''m talking about the principle of playing two tall strikers

It didn''t look good on Saturday as Brown didn''t look like the sort of player looking for the knock-down, running past the last defender etc.

[quote user="jetstream"]

Marty - I''m talking about the principle of playing two tall strikers

It didn''t look good on Saturday as Brown didn''t look like the sort of player looking for the knock-down, running past the last defender etc.

[/quote]

Ok, a little and large combination is possible but only if we play McVeigh, and to be honest i''d be more use at the moment.

Or we give one of the youngsters a chance to prove they can do it. We have Ryan Jarvis and Martin waiting for their chance and who knows Martin could be the next Bellamy and remember what he managed to do in his first season.

When Chadwick is back fit there is also the chance to play either Croft or Huckerby up front with Brown, infact you could possibly do that now by playing Robinson/Hughes down the left and pushing Huckerby up front.

We do have some options but I am sure that with Dions influence he can strike up a good partnership with anyone he plays alongside. Just remember the players he has made look good in the past, Joachim, Vassell to name but two.

I hate to say it but I think the team will be

Marshall

Colin     Shackell   Doc   Drury

Croft     Safri        Etuhu  Hucks

Dublin     Brown

The two big men up front does not work, but I cant see Grant playing Martin up front with Brown as Brown has to get used to the way the team plays, and the team have to get use to the runs Brown makes. If you bring Martin in it is the same case. That means there will be a total lack of understanding between the forwards and everyone else. It''s not as if we have top quality players who can just gel together immediately.