Sign in to follow this  
Roasted Guniea Pig

Grant is getting it WRONG!

This 1-goal-lead-so-lets-sit-back isn''t working and Grant knows it. But the reason it isn''t changing is because he''s too spineless to put his neck on the line by taking risks with youth players. If he takes off certain players like Hughes, Robinson, Doherty, Thorne etc then I certainly will not be angry if we lose! This season is finished for us anyway, so try new things Granty!

I respect your passion but not your opinions! If the youth team players were better do you not think he might play them! No manager actually wants to lose, despite what you may think. It''s possible that he might be putting these players out there cos players who can''t get into our team aren''t gonna be leavin are they? but even that seems a little far fetched. I think to call him spineless is a bit harsh, I haven''t agreed with a lot of his decisions but lets at least give the guy his first transfer window to change things before attacking him. Oh and lastly, I bet you would moan if they lost playing youth! People like you find any reason possible in my experience. Ah, the joy of freedom of speech. Have a nice new year everyone, fingers crossed for maximum points and spectacular signings.

I agree that Grant''s decison to take off Dublin was negative and unnecessarily defensive.

In fairness to Grant, Wolves goal was offside and Dublin''s goal should have been given, and anothere day we would have won 3-1. It was also a much better performace than we have seen from the team in the last few weeks, and, Dublin and Eanshaw up front really works as a partnership.

Hopefully we will play well and get a good result against Southend tomorrow.

BailoJnr, What I am getting at is that all Grant needs to do is take a chance, like I have already said, this season is over for us already. So try different things and see what works! Especially as we have Southend tomorrow, I think to try a few different things, nothing major, then we could get a few ideas of what sort of SQUAD we have. Norwichs core team is a great one, but as soon as our injury list fills, like it did a few weeks ago, then we have no replacements! Give the youngsters and reserves a go, see the ability that we have around the SQUAD

I think its interesting and ironic that when Grant arrived he continually stressed that he wanted his players to play without fear...yet he seems to have us play with just that in mind...fortune favours the brave.

RGP Agreeing with you that some of Grants decisions may be a bit iffy.  I would like to think that with his experience and know how he would have sussed out the capabilities of our youth, to a point where he will be satisfied whether or not they are up to the pressure of first team football.  Hucks in an interview said that there were not any, in his opinion that were up to it.  He will have played with and against them during practice games while training; he would have nothing to gain by this negative statement, therefore I would think the manager will have seen the potential there in the same way that Hucks has.  There are very few players in our youth teams who have the physical presence and confidence of someone like Rooney at such an early age.  I have witched them in practice and to be honest ther is not much to sing about when they are put to the test at practice level. let alone at first team level. Thats just my opinion however, and managers get sacked for making mistakes, don''t they?

You mention injuries which is interesting.

Having got two decent strikers now would you risk one of them for less than ten or so minutes? Remember the Dublin substitution came a little while after the Earnshaw substitution.

Throw Dublin into defence and you are looking at him coming up agains more tackles, more risks to his injury and remember there isnt a week available - not even five days, to shake off a knock as there normally would be.

The same thing goes for leaving him as a lone striker for that short time, Wolves were becoming desperate and were throwing caution to the wind which would see heavier/meatier challenges being thrown in.

Considering the games we have ahead which are must wins I would think that bringing him off was a good idea. Its just a shame a few things went against us on the day.

Did you actually go to Wolves? Hughes and Robinson both had good games, Hughes in particular. We need players in the squad that can do the business, and Ryan Jarvis and Henderson don''t; plain and simple.

Personally, I''d bring out Chris Martin to give a few games to but apart from Rob Eagle and Andrew Cave-Brown (excellent at Torquay before injury) I have yet to be impressed with our youngsters. Selling Danny Crow was one of the biggest mistakes Worthy made in my opinion.

Well it seems to me he has been taking chances. Taking of huckerby, earny, are all risks for him, because people like you find a way to have a go at him about it. He took a chance, defensively not offensively.

Beelsie, managers also get praise for finding young talent. If it is a mistake and the youth aren''t up to it, then go out in Januarary and get in:
a) Some decent scouts
b)Some bargains from lower leagues, that our new scouts have found
c) some more bargins to give our team some competition

I''m getting pretty ticked off with our eputation for having a * youth set-up. Our academy has a great set-up, and some real talent in there, 2 of which I know personally, just as I said, in a few years time when these 2 boys are old enough to sign professional contracts, our current manager will be too spineless to play them and let them break throughinto the first team, instead we send them to crap sides where they are going to get no proper experience, and therefore then be sold,work their way up the leagues, untill they are playing in the Prem contesting for player of the year every year! What I''m getting at is why do we have to wait untill players are established and well known before we take an interest at them. And Hogesar, mate, I have no objection with him taking Earnshaw off and never have said I did. What I do object to is them being replaced with the * that he''s putting on that pitch. He needs to go out in Janurary, and strengthen our SQUAD, bring in new players, bargains that our SCOUTS have found in lower leagues, foreign leagues etc.

You are right in what you say, if managers do have the chance to get new scouts etc to enable them to have a better picture of whats out there, then yes they will be entitled to praise for work well done.  I believe however that there are other managers with bigger purses out there with the same objectives, and some of them manage teams that will be more likely to attract the better players than Norwich, especially those in the big city areas that are more desireable to the younger set who are looking for bright lights and glamour etc  like London, Midlands, and Manchester areas, spring to mind as not being so remote as we are in the young players mind, whose expectations are wider and more demanding regarding what is on offer here in good old Norfolk. RGP, while your desires are admirable, as I say, there are others with the same desire for improving what they already have, and may have more clout when it come to the money being made available for those ideals.

My dear old Roast , i think the point you are missing , and most of you are ,our young players should now be established as 1st team players , Jarvis bros ,Henderson,Cave-Brown, Eagle, and dare i say Danny Crowe, we should now be reaping the rewards , our previous manager would only give them 10 mins if that over the last 2yrs , what did he think we were going to do win the league by a record number of pts ? its called no forward thinking , i remember Bobby Charlton , Peter Osgood , Alan Hudson, all young players with big reputations , but believe me they were not worth their shirts in those early days , but their clubs persevered with them and suddenly they became good ,thats how it works .the more experience they gather the better they become as players , simple isn''t ? it it called planning for the future.

My dear old duck, there is no way that any of those players you mentioned could have done any worse than what I saw out on that field today. This is the first time in all my 10 years supporting them (since I was 3) I have never feared for this club as much as I do now. Peter Grant has to be our saviour after bringing in his own team after 1 or 2 transfer window. But at this moment in time he is not getting this team motivated or working together, yet he carries on as he is.

Grant can see the players arent motivated, but there''s only so much he can do. If huckerby, croft and dublin can play with passion etc, then why cant the others? Anyone who cant, should be shown the door immediately. If worthington had done that last season...

[quote user="Roasted Guniea Pig"]My dear old duck, there is no way that any of those players you mentioned could have done any worse than what I saw out on that field today. This is the first time in all my 10 years supporting them (since I was 3) I have never feared for this club as much as I do now. Peter Grant has to be our saviour after bringing in his own team after 1 or 2 transfer window. But at this moment in time he is not getting this team motivated or working together, yet he carries on as he is.[/quote]

My dear sweet Roast , wait till you have clocked up 50 yrs, you will know what fearing for club is about , i have survived re-election to div 3 in my time , not a thing i would wish anyone too go through , you don''t know you are born .